Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new MT-09 SP two weeks ago, with the ECU already flashed after the recall. My "problem" is that when I engine brake, it abruptly stops engine braking at around 3000 rpm, or rather it probably starts giving fuel to avoid the stalling issue. A few days ago, it stopped engine braking completely at 3000, but now I get a little "bump" at 3000.
Does anyone else have any experience with this "issue", and if so, any difference before and after the recall ECU flash?

·
Registered
729 Posts
As far as I can see in the reflashed recall tables there is no correction to injector cut above 3000rpms or decell ETV tables, what I do know the affects of the injectors coming back on 3000rpm & below according to load can be felt differently meaning with a step hill decel throttle closed the kick in of the injectors <3000rpm is much harsher than on a slight slop or when you decel fast compared to decel slowly the injectors turning back on is felt differently.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I picked up my new MT-09 SP two weeks ago, with the ECU already flashed after the recall. My "problem" is that when I engine brake, it abruptly stops engine braking at around 3000 rpm, or rather it probably starts giving fuel to avoid the stalling issue. A few days ago, it stopped engine braking completely at 3000, but now I get a little "bump" at 3000.
Does anyone else have any experience with this "issue", and if so, any difference before and after the recall ECU flash?

Can you provide more detail? Did you start to roll-off above 3K rpm and noticed a surge once it got below 3K? Does this happen in all gears? Were you on the front and/or rear brake?

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha MT-09 SP
87 Posts
Haven't noticed any issues engine braking on my 2022. Safety recall was fixed on Saturday and haven't noticed any differences.

I don't really understand what the issue is though. What your describing seems like normal engine braking to me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I will try to explain better and why it is a problem: When engine braking before making a turn I often go in to 2:nd gear and go in to the turn when the bike is still engine braking. I hit 3000 rpm in the middle of the turn and it feels like the bike is pushed forward momentarily when the fuelling kicks in, but then it starts engine braking again. I have ridden a couple of MT-09's 2021 before but did not notice this on them. Maybe there is something wrong with my injector giving to much fuelling when it initiates and then backs off?

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
That sounds like twitchy throttle syndrome. In that case it's not the ECU doing it, it's your wrist movement compensating for the sudden acceleration.
I felt that on my '14, and a couple of KTM's I rode years ago.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds like twitchy throttle syndrome. In that case it's not the ECU doing it, it's your wrist movement compensating for the sudden acceleration.
I felt that on my '14, and a couple of KTM's I rode years ago.
Yeah, I can see how it could be a slight problem if your wrist twitches everytime your engine hits 3000 rpm. 🤣

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
Yeah, I can see how it could be a slight problem if your wrist twitches everytime your engine hits 3000 rpm. 🤣
Well you did say AROUND 3000 rpm, not EXACTLY 3000 rpm. I find in the tight stuff I'm often around that mark entering really slow corners. But as you don't seem to appreciate alternative theories I'd suggest talking to your dealer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well you did say AROUND 3000 rpm, not EXACTLY 3000 rpm. I find in the tight stuff I'm often around that mark entering really slow corners. But as you don't seem to appreciate alternative theories I'd suggest talking to your dealer.
Sorry about that, my bad. At almost exactly 3000. I very often go slightly below 3000 when turning in crossings, and since I'm not going to do a hard acceleration after I don't shift down to first. That's when I get the "shove", which isn't an acceleration but feels like it when it stops engine braking. Probably the same effect as if it unexpectedly would jump in to neutral when engine braking.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I noticed this too after my recall. The bike did it before but after the recall flash, it was more prominent. Almost feels as if you pulled the clutch in as you decelerate. I have since had the bike reflashed by Vcyclenut and it's not as noticeable again.

·
Registered
2022 MT-09 SP
55 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my reflashed 22 MT-09 SP yesterday, as it happens. Specifically, rolling into tight downhill turns with a fully closed throttle, the engine braking abruptly diminished around 3,000 rpm. It's quite unsettling to suddenly have decreased deceleration entering a turn!

I must confess I didn't notice this before the reflash or for several hundred miles after it, so I don't know whether it's reflash-related.

Any thoughts on what might be going on @vcyclenut ?

·
Vendor
1,892 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my reflashed 22 MT-09 SP yesterday, as it happens. Specifically, rolling into tight downhill turns with a fully closed throttle, the engine braking abruptly diminished around 3,000 rpm. It's quite unsettling to suddenly have decreased deceleration entering a turn!

I must confess I didn't notice this before the reflash or for several hundred miles after it, so I don't know whether it's reflash-related.

Any thoughts on what might be going on @vcyclenut ?

I havent noticed it on mine but I only rode the fully stock recalled ecu home from the dealer, since then im on my flash and have not noticed that. Though i will pay more attention next time. I have plenty of hills around here to test it

there are different engine braking settings per gear is it more noticeable in one gear over another ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there are different engine braking settings per gear is it more noticeable in one gear over another ?
It is the same for me in all gears, but more noticeable in the lower gears since engine braking is harder in lower gears. I also notice it mostly in 2:nd gear probably because that's often the gear I am in going through tight bends at speed. On mine it feels like the bike gets pushed forward briefly, then starts engine breaking again. It's an awful feeling when you're on the edge of your tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, definitely cuts engine braking at 3k. This was first thing that I noticed hour ago, when they did flash. As there is intersection 100m from dealer, i started from them and shifted down going to intersection, decelerating and suddenly engine deceleration stopped. On my way home, i observed it a little and yes, at 3000 it is way les pronounced than above, just like described, allmost like you pulled clutch in. It is noticeable change as I'm used to the bike thill now, will have to get used to this now.... if they didnt f. something up and release new recall cause of that 🤣

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, definitely cuts engine braking at 3k. This was first thing that I noticed hour ago, when they did flash. As there is intersection 100m from dealer, i started from them and shifted down going to intersection, decelerating and suddenly engine deceleration stopped. On my way home, i observed it a little and yes, at 3000 it is way les pronounced than above, just like described, allmost like you pulled clutch in. It is noticeable change as I'm used to the bike thill now, will have to get used to this now.... if they didnt f. something up and release new recall cause of that 🤣
Could be that it is more noticeable in some bikes after the recall. But in my opinion this is dangerous as well. If they just dropped this down to somewhere between 2000-2500rpm it wouldn't be an no issue because you would never hit it.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts