Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a fast/easy to get the gas out of the tank? Besides riding it until it's empty. Will I have to take the tank off? How long does that really take? How hard is it? I can take the tank off my drz in like 5 minutes. This looks harder for some reason. The shippers apparently will fine me if there's gas in the tank if they even take the bike at all..

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I stripped my tank for painting I siphoned 99% out with a hose. Then I removed the tank... it's easy, takes a minute. Then I undid the four bolts holding the fuel pump to the underside of the tank, removed the pump and sloshed the last splash of fuel out. Then I re-installed the pump, removed the filler cap and taped a bit of paper towel over the opening for a few days. Siphoning and leaving tha cap open for a few days might be all you need to do.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Have you thought about siphoning it out? Might be easier than removing the entire tank. I've seen relatively cheap hand siphons', or you could try it the old fashioned way. Best of luck...

*edit* carbonr1 beat me to the siphoning suggestion:icon_thumbright:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Have you thought about siphoning it out? Might be easier than removing the entire tank. I've seen relatively cheap hand siphons', or you could try it the old fashioned way. Best of luck...
I used a bit of clean and dry garden hose, and there was less than a 1/4 of a cup left in the tank when I removed the pump plate. ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
When i have shipped bikes before i have just siphoned the gas out and that was good enough. If its not, then just siphon what you can, do a wild smoky burnout until the bike goes dead from running out of gas! Just my thought!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts