Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put about 350 miles or so on my FZ and have pushed it a bit. I'm astounded by the performance it has with power and handling. Ironically one of my concerns is performance. I'm going to try and keep this a simple as possible. I did read that elevation around my 2,000 +- feet can have an impact on HP, but I don't know how much. Marthy has a video of a FZ shifting to 2nd gear, touching the throttle, then a little more to bring the wheel off the ground and back down gently at a low safe speeds. My gripe/complaint is "why won't my bike do that" I have tried, and in 2nd gear I have to reef on the throttle over 4-5 + rpm for it to try to pick up, and never more than a couple inches, because by then I'm moving way to fast, and I have to set her back down :(. I would love to be able to do effortless low speed wheelies like people have posted about this bike, but It is much more difficult for me. Please critique me, don't spank me too hard like before :( :) :( :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
are you complaining about elevation changes or your ability to do wheelies?

For elevation, use AutoTune... for wheelies... I cannot comment since I only do them by accident.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I put about 350 miles or so on my FZ and have pushed it a bit. I'm astounded by the performance it has with power and handling. Ironically one of my concerns is performance. I'm going to try and keep this a simple as possible. I did read that elevation around my 2,000 +- feet can have an impact on HP, but I don't know how much. Marthy has a video of a FZ shifting to 2nd gear, touching the throttle, then a little more to bring the wheel off the ground and back down gently at a low safe speeds. My gripe/complaint is "why won't my bike do that" I have tried, and in 2nd gear I have to reef on the throttle over 4-5 + rpm for it to try to pick up, and never more than a couple inches, because by then I'm moving way to fast, and I have to set her back down :(. I would love to be able to do effortless low speed wheelies like people have posted about this bike, but It is much more difficult for me. Please critique me, don't spank me too hard like before :( :) :( :)
Where is this video? I would just like to see someone better than me ride :)

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
The FZ is an absolute wheelie monster, make no mistake about it. Second gear wheelies don't require clutching up, just enough RPMs and a quick twist of the throttle. Third gear will put the front end in the air also, especially with the very soft rear suspension. I've only been in "B" mode once since I bought the bike, but obviously it's a lot softer and harder to do wheelies with. I'm not suggesting that you go to A mode and try it, but STD mode will get you some pretty easy to do wheelies (if you are comfortable doing wheelies). One recommendation that I ALWAYS have for anyone (myself included) is to cover the rear brake pedal just in case you get a little too aggressive the the throttle or you get it up too close to the balance point that you would not be able to control the balance of the bike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Actually b mode is easier to wheelie... and far easier to control, you just can't wheelie in 3rd...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
I feel your pain man. I thought the same thing when people posted that they could wheelie in second gear. I'm up at 2600 feet as well and I can't get the front end up in second, and I weigh 175 in my riding gear.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Actually b mode is easier to wheelie... and far easier to control, you just can't wheelie in 3rd...

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
B mode might be easier to control....but it is definitely not easier to wheelie in.

Reactions: MrJD410

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
altitude absolutely has an impact on engine power. Fewer O2 molecules = less fuel burned per ignition = less power. The fuel map should automatically compensate for the conditions, but this just means the proper amount of fuel for oxygen ingested. Beyond that, even that high up this engine should have enough power for wheelies. Now, 6000' and more, maybe not, because it would be down something like 25% of sea level power.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is the video that I watched. 3:20 seconds is the part I have been talking about. I did notice he got up to about 60 mph when it was brought back down after the second gear wheelie, and was around the 5k-6k range when he started. I cannot tell what mode he is in, so maybe there is no such this as a power wheelie at low rpm and low speed? I am definitely buying a tuner of some type. I don't know which to go with yet. I believe that it would help with my current altitude and any future exhaust changes. I'm open to suggestions on that one :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your problem isn't altitude or your tune.
Ahh boy! I'm afraid of how this might go, but I will add one more question. Does the video displayed,,,,,correctly advocate base performance of the bike, judging rpm, speed, throttle? I do see the extra programmer, but I believe he was simply recording the tuning after his new exhaust was installed.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Nice to know I set the bench mark! LOL

Exhaust and good tune is al there is Mate. Picking up 8 ft.lb of torque at 5K RPM make wheelies much easier. What color is your bike? That might have a lot to do with it. I have the fast black & blue. LOL

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nice to know I set the bench mark! LOL

Exhaust and good tune is al there is Mate. Picking up 8 ft.lb of torque at 5K RPM make wheelies much easier. What color is your bike? That might have a lot to do with it. I have the fast black & blue. LOL
My recent tests also show that it is the strongest as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts