Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is right section to post this...

Long story short, after 3 storms and over 6 feet of snow, I decided to turn the bike on to warm it up and do a bit of cleaning/waxing. As I'm working my way through the usual inspection I noticed the bike is stuck in STD mode. No matter how hard I pressed the mode change button, nothing happens.

Things I've checked:
1. Kill switch/engine on button works fine.
2. Hazard light switch works fine.
3. Opened up the switch module and didn't see any wires that have been come off from the soldering points.
4. No visible wire damage around the handlebar running down the steering column.
5. I've never touched the ecu or removed the tank so don't think anything's been messed with there.

Please let me know what else I should look into, the bike isn't covered under warranty and I'm clueless on where to go from here. Would hate to be stuck riding around STD mode come spring :(

·
Banned
739 Posts
So it's been parked in the garage awhile? I'd wait until it warms up a bit and you can ride it. Hope that it goes away by itself before you panic. See if it happens again next winter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's been parked in the garage awhile? I'd wait until it warms up a bit and you can ride it. Hope that it goes away by itself before you panic. See if it happens again next winter.
yea winterized it late November and it's been sitting since. Been turned on for a couple mins a handful of times just so I can hear it run to avoid going insate

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What I suspect is the problem is that the throttle is not closed all the way. The mode switch will only allow a mode change if the throttle is closed.

Maybe in your cleaning, you pulled the throttle cable or maybe the throttle cable is too tight and the throttle is stuck open slightly...

I am sure it is nothing big so don't panic.

Reactions: Rideittor

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I suspect is the problem is that the throttle is not closed all the way. The mode switch will only allow a mode change if the throttle is closed.

Maybe in your cleaning, you pulled the throttle cable or maybe the throttle cable is too tight and the throttle is stuck open slightly...

I am sure it is nothing big so don't panic.
That actually makes sense! I'm going to go wiggle it and see it that helps in a few mins. will report back

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Just a note..when you put the bike away for the winter, don't start it again until you are ready to ride it....starting it every few weeks does more damage than good. all your doing is circulating the moisture in the oil and not getting it hot enough to burn off...winterize the bike, and leave it alone until spring.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just a note..when you put the bike away for the winter, don't start it again until you are ready to ride it....starting it every few weeks does more damage than good. all your doing is circulating the moisture in the oil and not getting it hot enough to burn off...winterize the bike, and leave it alone until spring.
If you let a bike sit for a few months....parts inside the engine get bone dry, and rust will start to develop on gears and cylinder walls and valve stems. That little bit of moisture that gets mixed with the oil is correct...but that disappears with a fresh oil change come summer time.
I start my bikes every couple of weeks during winter, and let them warm up to normal operating temperature each time.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Also your battery voltage might be low. Put the battery on a trickle charger.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update: moved the throttle adjuster a few turns in and out and the modes sporadically changed. I think I'm going to resist the urge until the temps come above the teens before I turn it on again as people have recommended.

Hopefully it's just something going kooky because of the freezing temps.
Excuse me while I crawl back into my igloo:sleepy2:

·
Registered
245 Posts
update: moved the throttle adjuster a few turns in and out and the modes sporadically changed. I think I'm going to resist the urge until the temps come above the teens before I turn it on again as people have recommended.

Hopefully it's just something going kooky because of the freezing temps.
Excuse me while I crawl back into my igloo:sleepy2:
Well, I have no solution for you, but I can give you my experience about the same type of problem on my Yamaha SuperTenere. My problem started just like yours and then has escalated into a worsening series of frustrations. Initially it was just the mode not changing, but it evolved to become an idle issue (bike periodically drops to 800rpms and may die). Then, it elected to give itself spontaneous cruise control whereupon it suddenly just refuses to listen to throttle input and runs 3K without throttle while in gear. I've done all sorts of checks and suspect that it's something to do with a connector in either the ECU, TPS, APS, or YCCT servo motor. It's intermittent, resets (typically) if I cycle the key, and only seems to happen when it's cold and damp. Let me know and I'll send you a link to my posts on the ADV riderboard and the Tenere board about the full problem/diagnosis/and attempts at solutions that I've attempted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have no solution for you, but I can give you my experience about the same type of problem on my Yamaha SuperTenere. My problem started just like yours and then has escalated into a worsening series of frustrations. Initially it was just the mode not changing, but it evolved to become an idle issue (bike periodically drops to 800rpms and may die). Then, it elected to give itself spontaneous cruise control whereupon it suddenly just refuses to listen to throttle input and runs 3K without throttle while in gear. I've done all sorts of checks and suspect that it's something to do with a connector in either the ECU, TPS, APS, or YCCT servo motor. It's intermittent, resets (typically) if I cycle the key, and only seems to happen when it's cold and damp. Let me know and I'll send you a link to my posts on the ADV riderboard and the Tenere board about the full problem/diagnosis/and attempts at solutions that I've attempted.

ever seen a grown man cry?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
One source of the problem might be a loose adjuster on the throttle cable that allows the cable to "jump" in and out of the adjuster so that when the cable is seated into the adjuster properly, the idle is very low but when the throttle cable is unseated or partially stuck out of the adjuster, then the idle speed is adjusted to "normal" and when the throttle cable reseats in the adjuster, the idle speed drops.

I have seen this happen when throttle cables are routed incorrectly so that turning the handlebars causes pulls the throttle cable out of one of the adjusters and eventually the throttle cable will settle back into the adjuster.

I have also seen this when someone installs aftermarket handlebars, bar backs, bar rises, GPS on the handlebars... etc.

You may be correct that it could be a bad connection or a bad throttle position sensor.

I would check the throttle cable routing and how it works with the handlebars turned all the way left and right to make sure there is no pulling on the throttle cable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's totally feasible for the OP, not so much with mine (though I did check long ago) as mine is clearly not mechanical based on the fact that it presents with different symptoms and is often 'reset' by changing nothing more than a restart.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I start my bikes every couple of weeks during winter, and let them warm up to normal operating temperature each time.
They are your bikes, do whatever you like, but that is not the recommended way to store a bike...the proper way is as I posted,put it away, and leave it put away until riding season.

if it will be stored for 6 months or more, you will want to fog the engine..but you still do not want to start them until you are ready to take them out of storage .

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Intermittent problems are the worst, but if you think it's moisture related, there is a possible way to find out. Not FZ09 related, but with my car's auto transmission, I was having a problem with occasional harsh shifts with no help from the dealership. After several hours online of searching and reading, I understood the basics of how components operated on either a high or low signal within the electronics package. I decided to spray down the electrical boot that goes into the transmission with Rust Check, just to see if maybe it was a moisture issue... turns out it was! After two attempts by the "experts", I was able to eliminate the issue myself, which has not resurfaced. The tranny has worked as it should ever since I sprayed the boot down.

Re: the FZ09... you may be experiencing a similar problem. All it takes to mess things up is a very small voltage leak. If the sensor expects a certain signal (voltage), but gets something else, it can manifest itself in terrible ways. If you suspect it's a moisture issue, check your connectors. A little spray of something that displaces moisture can go a long way in diagnosing/solving a problem. HTH

·
Banned
739 Posts
They are your bikes, do whatever you like, but that is not the recommended way to store a bike...the proper way is as I posted,put it away, and leave it put away until riding season.

if it will be stored for 6 months or more, you will want to fog the engine..but you still do not want to start them until you are ready to take them out of storage .
I do the same thing as CD599 - Open the garage door and crank it over for a few. Cold snaps (freezing or below) only last here two, maybe three weeks. If it's sunny and there's no ice on the road, I'll take it for a spin around the block. Moisture?

A riding buddy of mine says, Get the tires off the ground or you'll get flat spots! But how long does it take to get flat spots? I'm guessing a long time. My garage is attached to the house. I have a thermometer out there and it rarely gets below freezing.

And I can't ride it when it's up on stands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts