Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the best place to post this but I dont think it really fits anywhere else. I am trying to find some good quality electrical connections for wiring up turn signals. I have already installed a set in the rear and I am planning on swapping them out but I really want to improve how I had to wire them. I used a typical crimped connection where one side is a flat blade and the other is a female connector for the flat blade. But I hate these, Ive tried several brands and they all seem brittle and dont crimp down very well and I end up holding everything together with heat shrink. Does anyone have a suggestion of a better method? I also dont like using wirenuts. I just want something with a good secure connection that I dont have to worry about coming apart.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I always crimp/thermo shrink all my custom wiring, some will solder it but I always had good results with it.

I use common crimping terminals, but I only keep the metal part and ditch the plastic around it, I'm also using thermoshrink tubing with glue inside, which is activated at the same time the tube shrinks.

You'll probably never use your stock blinkers again, so you should cut the wires to salvage the oem connector and put it on your aftermarket wiring.
Cut oem wire long enough so you'll have some length for a future blinker change.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Hey Lucky Devil........are the connectors in the link you posted the exact ones needed for the FZ09?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yep.

Adding more words because apparently "yep" is too short and is therefore unacceptable.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Thank you for the quick response. I was going to bookmark that page and I already had it bookmarked under my 600RR folder....they must be the same on both bikes.....hmm!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think Honda uses different connectors, but I haven't owned a Honda in a long time... so I could be wrong.

Honda Type

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
I think Honda uses different connectors, but I haven't owned a Honda in a long time... so I could be wrong.

Honda Type
Hmm, now you've got me wondering why I would have the first ones that you posted, bookmarked in my Honda 600RR folder of bookmarks. Guess I'm going to have to do some investigating.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I didn't. Just crimped the terminals on the end of the wires and popped them into the OEM style connector.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts