Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, it appears H-D is has a project bike that is all electric. While it had not been green-lit for production, it will be on tour throughout the country for test rides.

Jalopnik Article
Will Harley-Davidson riders really warm up to the concept of an electric motorcycle? Harley's bikes are about as old-school (and just plain old) as you get, and that's how its customers like it. But now Harley wants to know what the faithful would expect from an electric bike. That's what this motorcycle is for.
HD project LiveWire website

Personally, I love this idea. I am not a fan at all of Harley's current options for all the stereo-typical reasons. I am excited, however, for the rise of electric bikes. The ability to get 400+ mpge would be a dream for commuting. And although Zero already has this capability, it does it at a pretty steep price point. If anybody in the motorcycle business has the economies of scale to make an electric bike affordable, it is Harley Davidson. Now I have to hope they green light the project for production, as long as they don't pad the price believing their brand is worth the up-charge.

Also, I love the rear hugger and license plate bracket.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Harley Davidson "affordable"? Almost 11k for a base sportster...needing thousands in aftermarket parts to just make it rideable is not my definition of affordable. I do hope HD will make the electric bike a reality. Hybrids used to be way overpriced...now they're just overpriced. Electric bikes will be cheaper some day. I do like the looks of the LiveWire.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
To readers that enjoy riding a Harley: ride what like, cool.

IMO buying a Harley places form over function. Hard to imagine many current (ha!) Harley riders being interested in an electric bike. Maybe there are Hog owners that are Yuppies and also have a Prius?

IMO Harley would have to get Eric Buell back to get an electric right, what are the chances of that? And they'd have to pay attention to him too...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
If Harley builds an electric bike, and an old pushrod bike costs $20k, will this bike cost $30-$40k?

I see what they are doing, and it makes sense, but I'd be surprised if it were economically viable for buyers.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
That's funny Bob......that's just what I was thinking........300W amplifier...Check, a couple of 12" speakers...Check, and a 15" Sub Woofer...Check! Now you're talkin'!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I personally love the design, but if they can't improve the range of approx 100 miles and make it affordable, it's a non starter. As far as the purists go, this motorcycle isn't for them... it's for people who love and respect the past, but are looking to and openly embrace the future.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Styling is great, sounds awesome... I am not a fan of the sound of the Zero and Brammo bikes...

Affordable, from Harley, I'm not holding my breath

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The Harley people are likely not going to buy this thing. It won't be a "real" motorcycle, the same way that the VROD isn't considered a real Harley by a lot of guys. Even a Sportster isn't considered a "real" bike, so it will be interesting to see what happens with this electric bike, as well as with the new street motorcycles in the US. Outside of this country, the street motorcycles and this electric bike might have a much larger audience and Harley might not care that people here won't want to buy those bikes. They are going for a more global positioning with their products.

I will be going to Philly and riding one. I'm very interested in an electric Harley. I'm actually really interested in finding a Harley that I can like since I'm still brainwashed that I have to ride a Harley in some shape or form.

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
883 Posts
I will be going to Philly and riding one. I'm very interested in an electric Harley. I'm actually really interested in finding a Harley that I can like since I'm still brainwashed that I have to ride a Harley in some shape or form.
When I first read about the electric Harley, and considering your collection of vehicles, I thought it sounded like something that would interest you. Your vehicular interests seem to reach widely, much like my own. I'm looking forward to reading your ride review.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts