Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

EJK settings

12K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  relz 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Just chasing some base line settings for an EJK controller on an MT09 with the following mods:

- full yoshi system with R77
- DNA filter
- Kev's O2 controller

Filter and EJK going on next couple of days. Baffle in or out.

Cheers!
Paul

#2 ·
If you go on my website under tech support, download the how too for the EKJ controller. That should give some some guidance on the installation and there's some base settings there for you. Get the one close to your exhaust design or my Delkevic setup.

#13 · (Edited)
Marthy, I've got a few questions regarding the EJK controller (decided to write them in the thread, in case they interest someone else too, or someone else cares to respond).
  1. How does the EJK work across the different driving modes (A,B,STD). Isn't the fueling suppopsed to be different in each mode?
  2. I have Kev's O2 controller installed. AFAIK this riches the AFR in the closed-loop range. How would/should this effect the setting of the EJK? I assume that the green zone corresponds loosely to the closed-loop range...
  3. I saw a mentioning that it could help reduce engine braking too, how does that work? Is it because engine braking is the result of under fuelling? As far as I can tell there isn't a separate setting for acceleration vs. Deceleration , so are we simply adding more fuel to one of the ranges (presumably the green), or extending the range down?
  4. Do you have these controller in stock? I think I'll be coming to the US soon for a business trip, for which I usually get about two weeks of head notice. Is that enough time for you to order and ship it?
  5. The biggest question: How do I know how to fine-tune it? Is it really obvious where I should add or reduce fuel, and where I should set the switch points? I don't mind riding and fiddling with the settings as I go, I'm not sure I trust myself that I'll know which way to set the settings (and I have not access to a dyno, so I can't perform any scientific settings). Perhaps I'm intimidated for no-reason, seeing that I have been riding for twenty odd years and have a pretty good feel for the ride, it's just that I've never before tried changing AFR settings in any of my bikes (besides once buying a ready made jet-kit).

#3 ·
Thanks marthy,

Much appreciated mate and a great help - I would have got one from you but I'm in Aus!

I've got Delkevic twin 8 inch cans on my MT03 thumper - Geez it is LOUD!

Reactions: marthy
#5 ·
I am debating between a PCV and an EJK. I have a PCV on my FZ6 and I am happy with it, but I really like the push-button interface of the EJK. I visited their website and they are very pro-military, mad respect there. Also the website appeared to be teeming with technical support.

My question is...to those of you that have an EJK installed on your bike, are you happy with it? Can you compare it to a DynoJet product at all?

I run a Yoshi R-77 full system, if that's helpful.

Cheers!

#6 ·
Worked great for me. They both do a fine job, all depend what you want to accomplish. If you just want to tune and want to trim maybe on long trip to save fuel or go on/off with a DBK. On the road tuning is much more easier if you had to. PCV has some add on. Only reason I kept the PCV is for the quickshifter. (And been able to adjust it) as far as AFR goes... they were both good.

#7 ·
I am happy with the EJK on mine, very smooth.

Power when I need it but a much more enjoyable ride when commuting.

With the Yoshi and no fuel controller response felt softer down low. I went with one of Marthy's settings from his web site. I haven't played with the settings otherwise yet, but may reduce fueling a half setting as it seems a tad rich.

The kev O2 mod is also helping with the on/off throttle. I can now happily run in A mode all day, even commuting.

#8 ·
I also run the EJK. No complaints here, runs extremely smooth. I also added block off plates, very little decel popping either. I run with the DBK in. Different settings are required for DBK out, as it runs terrible. I might mess with that when riding season hits again...

#9 ·
I'm currently on the fence regarding the EJK.
I've got the carbon Akra installed on my MT-09, together with Kev's O2 controller, and I love the sound and feel and really enjoy the ride.
I understand that with this pipe my fuelling must be too lean, at the moment, but I'm not sure exactly what that feels like and how it would/could change with the EJK.

Can someone with a similar setup (I guess any after-market free flowing pipe), try to describe the difference in ride feeling (I'm not too worried about fuel consumption) before vs. after installing the EJK?
I'm trying to discern if I want/need to invest the 250$ in this improvement, i.e. if the expected results are worth my money or if I should save the money and spend it elsewhere. If the difference in ride feeling is very subtle, I might skip this mod.

#10 · (Edited)
I run an EKJ on my FZ-07 with the Arrow full exhaust. I also have used Power Commanders on at least 7 bikes...and one bike with the Power Commander AND the Auto Tune. Like Marthy said....it depends on what you want. If you constantly drag race from light to light or at the Dragstrip...or do a bunch of trackdays then the PC5 is what you want. If you want to change a/f settings ..when you want to,.....and at no cost...then the EJK is what you want.

For ME....I live at 950 feet above sea level. For in town ....I set the EKJ for smooth and easy throttle control....the just right amount of engine braking...and a rich low end so my hand doesn't go numb riding around town. But my real concern is when I ride up in the Mountains where it's from THREE thousand feet above sea level....to FOUR thousand feet above sea level. So I re adjust the EJK for maximum power exiting the corners....{screw the gas mileage} and for engine braking...and for top end. The around town settings are VERY different than the Mountain settings...and that is why the EJK is the better choice for me.

#11 ·
Thanks.

I'm less interested in a comparison of EJK vs. PCV (I'll go for ejk), and more interested in EJK vs. Nothing.

Is there a noticeable difference between running the bike with no fuel controller vs. with one? In your opinion is it money well spent, which really improves the riding experience, or just very fine tuning which I can do without?

#14 ·
Hey Mate,

Sorry for the late response... got back from my road trip at 4:00am last night and back to work this morning.

The fuel map is the same for all 3 modes. Only the throttle map change. So the EJK will offset each map the same.

The 2015 are a bit better with the on/off throttle. The GB can be bump to 4.0 instead of 3.0 (no added fuel at idle) Im sure that it will work good with the Kev O2 sensor.

The controller is very user friendly. And the bas settings are very close. You should be able to feel the changes. Im always there to help anyway if you have questions.

I do have 1 controller left in stock, I can keep it for you if you are interested. When and where in the US?

#18 ·
Hi Marthy et all,

Last night I installed the EJK on my ABS MT09, using your excellent instructions. So first, thanks for the instructions.

I had two small issues (besides me being an idiot and attempting to connect to the wrong connector at first, see this thread :rolleyes:).

1. The ABS unit is in front of the battery, so it was hard to find place to locate the controller unit. I ended up simply placing it on top of the battery, towards the front. It's the best place I could find.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

2. There was no way that the black negative wire would reach the negative battery terminal. All wires coming out of the EJK are bundled together and protected with black tubing, and towards the end they separate into the three injector males/females and the negative wire. The problem is that the injectors are up near the front of the bike, while the battery is at the back near the EJK controller. After struggling for a while I ended up slitting open the black tubing down about half the length of it. Through that slit I pulled out the negative wire, and then I fixed up the slit tubing using electrician tape. So now I have the negative wire coming out half-way along the tubing, and the other three coming out the end.
I have no idea how other people managed to overcome this problem... perhaps the negative wire in my kit was shorter than others? (or perhaps I was just being an idiot again, and there is some other simple solution :confused:).

I took it to work today, aprox. a 20 minute ride, and it's hard to say how/what feels different. I think that all in all the bike runs smoother (it was pretty smooth already with the 2015 Yamaha flash and Kev's 02 controller), and the engine braking is more gentle too. The bike seems less aggressive, and more smooth, but it makes it hard to tell if there is more power. The aggressive nature before, made it feel powerful too IMO, as it would surge forward strongly when accelerating or brake strongly when decelerating. I was expecting more of a power increase, but perhaps it's there only less noticeable because it's all smoother.

Perhaps I need to tune the values a bit, but for now I'll just ride it a few more days to try to get used to the different feel (assuming that it is indeed different).
I'm currently running with your recommendation:
Akrapovic without DBK (Euro: CO=14)
G: 5.5 | Y: 4.0 | R: 3.0 | GB: 3.0 | YB: 3.5 | RB: 3.5
Although I'm running with a DBK, because it's the Carbon Akra and I thought you might be referring to the Titanium Akra with the cat inside...

I did change the GB to 4.0, as per your recommendation, due to Kev's controller.

The device is super easy to configure, very intuitive! That's assuming I know what values I want to configure :D

It's a pity I can't actually see the controller while riding to better understand exactly when it switches between modes. Perhaps I'll sneak it out the front of the seat for a while, so that I can peek at it while riding.

#20 ·
I seem to be hearing more backfires, since I installed the EJK. Does that make sense, or is it my imagination?
I didn't perform the AIS block-off, as the popping and back-firing didn't bother me that much prior to the EJK installation (I've got an Akra Carbon exhaust).

If I'm having second thoughts regarding the AIS system, what's the simple/recommended route to go? Should I do the whole block-off-plates thing, or is there a simple trick to just block off the pipe leading from the airbox?

#21 ·
You can simply block the hose that connect on the LH side of the airbox. Just stuff whatever in the hose to block it and reconnect it to the airbox so the dust don't bypass the air filter. I rode like that for a while... back in the days where there was no BOP available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.