Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering what long term effect on converter is when block off plates or ECU reflash is performed since the converter might plug up sooner due to lower exhaust temps. I'm considering a FT tune but not planning to replace the exhaust system unlike a lot of people.

Reactions: 1duckyboy

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
A cat converter only "plugs up" when it's subjected to very rich a/f ratio's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, BUT they rely on the air enrichment to maintain the proper temp, like 1400' in many automotive systems. Too cold and deposits start forming and plugging the matrix. I'm wondering if anybody with a tune and dyno run monitored the EGT.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes, BUT they rely on the air enrichment to maintain the proper temp, like 1400' in many automotive systems. Too cold and deposits start forming and plugging the matrix. I'm wondering if anybody with a tune and dyno run monitored the EGT.
Good point. I too am leaving the stock exhaust on but am planning a reflash. Clogging up the catalytic converter, which is already restrictive, would be detrimental to performance and possibly to the longevity of the motor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the ecu reflashes I've read about routinely disable the AIS so I guess I'll have to get a custom reflash that doesn't or run the risk of damaging the converter. A bit of extra fuel on decel shouldn't hurt it much but if it can't get to optimal temp range it'll damage it I think.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Vcyclenut's flash service gives a choice of disabling the AIS or not. He's a supporting forum vendor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah saw that. I'm going to wait until winter I think, have a few mods ($$$) ahead of it lol.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

Running the cat too cold may have an effect on its catalyst ability , but its not going to harm it or plug it up.
Also, the extra fuel in some of these tunes will help to keep the cat "lit" even without the added air ....As long as your not running a leaded racing fuel, or burning lots of oil, your in no danger of clogging the cat on this bike .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts