Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow. That title is a mouthful.

Had my ECU flashed on Wednesday by a local company by the name of ECUWest. They utilise the ECUnleashed software and settings in order to flash the ECU..........have never heard of ECUnleashed before this and the price was expensive at $495 here in Australia but I hear they are quite big in the states so I went for it.

Yamaha MT-09 Performance ECU Remapping | ECUwest

And glad I did.

I know why you guys rave about having the ECU flashed now, as the bike is now just exactly like the bike I first bought.........just a version that is a whole lot more controllable and predictable. Without a doubt the best money I have ever spent on any mod on any motorcycle. On par with fixing the suspension on the 09........in fact I would nearly say it goes hand in hand. Suspension and the ECU flash are to me, must-do mods for this bike. Flash first to smooth out the inputs to the bike from the rider, then suspension to let you ride it harder or the way you would like without fear of unsettling behaviour.

For anyone in the states that can get the FlashTune done via Nick @ Stoltec Moto, please do it as that price that is offered is crazy cheap, and will be the best money you have ever spent on the bike thus far. Mine cost 3 times as much, as still think it is the best money I have ever spent. For anyone outside of the US or if you cannot utilise Nick's services for some reason, the ECUnleashed service and results are very similar and perform the same functions, however I will always recommend a site vendor first as someone who has taken time out to help us.

Those still sitting on the fence for this mod, I want to comment below.

I was too. Especially as I had to pay 500 bucks. You only have 150. So do it as your silly in my honest opinion if you don't. The cost of this flash to make the 09 a much more composed version of what you paid thousands for is really pale in comparison, and will totally transform the fun level you have whilst riding this particular bike.

I always had an issue with the snatchy throttle, as if I was trying or concentrating too hard on what I was doing with my right wrist. I started to get used to it though, and thought it may just be a symptom of the bike, one of those niggles that each product always has. The surging or missing feeling when at a lower traffic speed and just trying to maintain that speed used to irk me a bit too.......but I was very rarely sitting in traffic for me to worry too much lol. And that feeling of getting the bike unsettled when any minute change of the throttle was made during corners (sometimes unavoidable on our fantastic quality roads) wasn't something I was a big fan of either. I like corners, to me that's what motorcycling has to offer me as I am not a high speed fan, and to feel like any small change would get me unstuck at any time wasn't confidence inspiring to say the least.

For those who may ask about the speed limiter........I am not sure as I didn't hit the limiting speed or anywhere near it on a public road, nor ever intend to. However.......I can say that whilst I was on my friends private closed course that he owns :p, I hit 220km/hr without any trouble at all, and the bike had no intentions of slowing down and didn't feel restricted in any way. Didn't catch my rpm at that speed as I was too busy holding on for dear life. So I am not too sure on the speed limiter, but they did say that it has been removed with the flash. I am a get there fast fan rather than a go fast fan anyway. I love acceleration, not so much high speed so this wasn't a factor in my decision making process for the flash anyway.

Everything bad I had to say about the way the bike runs is gone. Except this damn CCT lol. No twitchy throttle. No concentrating on my wrist movements, it is much more natural now. Surging or missing? Pretty much gone. Still a slight hesitation at slower speeds of about 30-40km/hr, but again I am not at that speed maintained for long and I really do think that that is just a true symptom of the nature of a high cc 3 cylinder bike being restrained at such a slow crawl lol.

I put the ECU back in the bike, and went for a ride to a spot that was around an hour each way. Instantly upon simply starting the bike, it sounded better.....a little throatier in the exhaust than before. Idled smoother than ever before. As soon as I took off from home, the real differences were felt from the first moment. Throttle was so smooth and easy to control the inputs. Off throttle wasn't as violent, nor was getting back on it. The power delivery feels a lot more linear than before, and builds in very much the same fashion. I cant honestly say that I feel any more power than before the flash, but I felt that the bike has more power than I needed to begin with and am super happy with what it has. It just comes on in a smoother fashion than before, and doesn't try and instantly pull you off the back of the bike when on full song. I got to where I was going, and realised after getting there that I was still concentrating real hard on my right wrist and what I was doing during cornering. So I focused more on the cornering, and less on my right wrist on the way home...........and started having a real blast through the twisties instead of feeling a bit nervous about my inputs. To the point where I was lifting the front controllably coming out of some of the bends........

Which leads me to................. wheelies.

OMFG. I thought I had them hammered and downpat before, having not come from a streetbike where I could pop wheelies on the road and learning my unicycle street skills on this bike. And it is an easy bike to get the front wheel up on. Dirt wheelies are one thing, street is an extension of that but inherently more dangerous as far as I was concerned. So I learnt slowly, but surely. 2nd gear power wheelies now are just so easy after the flash. Too easy even. Before the flash I could hold them up for quite a while but the twitchy throttle would get the better of you at some stage and get you coming back down. Not so anymore. Modulating that input once the front wheel is up is just crazy easy now, and crazy easy to pull very very long wheelies that will get you into some trouble with the fuzz. Now I really need to watch my licence, or buy a scooter.

The ECU flash..........do it people. You will not be disappointed. Whoever you can get it done by, it will be the best mod you ever did to the 09.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks for your detailed input! The riding season is not that long in Colorado so I won't do this until winter (maybe, because i can still ride my other bike), but it is on the long list fo sho.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow. That title is a mouthful.

Had my ECU flashed on Wednesday by a local company by the name of ECUWest. They utilise the ECUnleashed software and settings in order to flash the ECU..........have never heard of ECUnleashed before this and the price was expensive at $495 here in Australia but I hear they are quite big in the states so I went for it.

Yamaha MT-09 Performance ECU Remapping | ECUwest

And glad I did.

I know why you guys rave about having the ECU flashed now, as the bike is now just exactly like the bike I first bought.........just a version that is a whole lot more controllable and predictable. Without a doubt the best money I have ever spent on any mod on any motorcycle. On par with fixing the suspension on the 09........in fact I would nearly say it goes hand in hand. Suspension and the ECU flash are to me, must-do mods for this bike. Flash first to smooth out the inputs to the bike from the rider, then suspension to let you ride it harder or the way you would like without fear of unsettling behaviour.

For anyone in the states that can get the FlashTune done via Nick @ Stoltec Moto, please do it as that price that is offered is crazy cheap, and will be the best money you have ever spent on the bike thus far. Mine cost 3 times as much, as still think it is the best money I have ever spent. For anyone outside of the US or if you cannot utilise Nick's services for some reason, the ECUnleashed service and results are very similar and perform the same functions, however I will always recommend a site vendor first as someone who has taken time out to help us.

Those still sitting on the fence for this mod, I want to comment below.

I was too. Especially as I had to pay 500 bucks. You only have 150. So do it as your silly in my honest opinion if you don't. The cost of this flash to make the 09 a much more composed version of what you paid thousands for is really pale in comparison, and will totally transform the fun level you have whilst riding this particular bike.

I always had an issue with the snatchy throttle, as if I was trying or concentrating too hard on what I was doing with my right wrist. I started to get used to it though, and thought it may just be a symptom of the bike, one of those niggles that each product always has. The surging or missing feeling when at a lower traffic speed and just trying to maintain that speed used to irk me a bit too.......but I was very rarely sitting in traffic for me to worry too much lol. And that feeling of getting the bike unsettled when any minute change of the throttle was made during corners (sometimes unavoidable on our fantastic quality roads) wasn't something I was a big fan of either. I like corners, to me that's what motorcycling has to offer me as I am not a high speed fan, and to feel like any small change would get me unstuck at any time wasn't confidence inspiring to say the least.

For those who may ask about the speed limiter........I am not sure as I didn't hit the limiting speed or anywhere near it on a public road, nor ever intend to. However.......I can say that whilst I was on my friends private closed course that he owns :p, I hit 220km/hr without any trouble at all, and the bike had no intentions of slowing down and didn't feel restricted in any way. Didn't catch my rpm at that speed as I was too busy holding on for dear life. So I am not too sure on the speed limiter, but they did say that it has been removed with the flash. I am a get there fast fan rather than a go fast fan anyway. I love acceleration, not so much high speed so this wasn't a factor in my decision making process for the flash anyway.

Everything bad I had to say about the way the bike runs is gone. Except this damn CCT lol. No twitchy throttle. No concentrating on my wrist movements, it is much more natural now. Surging or missing? Pretty much gone. Still a slight hesitation at slower speeds of about 30-40km/hr, but again I am not at that speed maintained for long and I really do think that that is just a true symptom of the nature of a high cc 3 cylinder bike being restrained at such a slow crawl lol.

I put the ECU back in the bike, and went for a ride to a spot that was around an hour each way. Instantly upon simply starting the bike, it sounded better.....a little throatier in the exhaust than before. Idled smoother than ever before. As soon as I took off from home, the real differences were felt from the first moment. Throttle was so smooth and easy to control the inputs. Off throttle wasn't as violent, nor was getting back on it. The power delivery feels a lot more linear than before, and builds in very much the same fashion. I cant honestly say that I feel any more power than before the flash, but I felt that the bike has more power than I needed to begin with and am super happy with what it has. It just comes on in a smoother fashion than before, and doesn't try and instantly pull you off the back of the bike when on full song. I got to where I was going, and realised after getting there that I was still concentrating real hard on my right wrist and what I was doing during cornering. So I focused more on the cornering, and less on my right wrist on the way home...........and started having a real blast through the twisties instead of feeling a bit nervous about my inputs. To the point where I was lifting the front controllably coming out of some of the bends........

Which leads me to................. wheelies.

OMFG. I thought I had them hammered and downpat before, having not come from a streetbike where I could pop wheelies on the road and learning my unicycle street skills on this bike. And it is an easy bike to get the front wheel up on. Dirt wheelies are one thing, street is an extension of that but inherently more dangerous as far as I was concerned. So I learnt slowly, but surely. 2nd gear power wheelies now are just so easy after the flash. Too easy even. Before the flash I could hold them up for quite a while but the twitchy throttle would get the better of you at some stage and get you coming back down. Not so anymore. Modulating that input once the front wheel is up is just crazy easy now, and crazy easy to pull very very long wheelies that will get you into some trouble with the fuzz. Now I really need to watch my licence, or buy a scooter.

The ECU flash..........do it people. You will not be disappointed. Whoever you can get it done by, it will be the best mod you ever did to the 09.
Good write up. Couldn't have put it better!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Subscribed as thinking of contacting ECU Unleashed in the UK. Finding I'm concentrating on throttle control too much and its putting me off from concentrating on cornering.

I'm assuming that ECU Unleashed will be using pretty much the same map no matter what country you're in?

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
251 Posts
The AU map is the same one that's used in the US, so I would say it's the same data regardless of where you are :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Subscribed as thinking of contacting ECU Unleashed in the UK. Finding I'm concentrating on throttle control too much and its putting me off from concentrating on cornering.

I'm assuming that ECU Unleashed will be using pretty much the same map no matter what country you're in?

Sent from outer space
Yep I was told that the map/tune is a collective result from all of the ECUnleashed dealers the world over. So should be identical.

Go for it, you will not be disappointed at all.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep 150% agree.

If your in the US, go through Nick @ Stoltec Moto. At the price the flash is offered, and now also with fuelling changes to suit mapped exhausts via dyno......you would be batshit crazy not to get it done.

Outside of the US, find your local ECUnleashed dealer for a flash tune.

Hey Poogamer ive just spoken with Darren at ECUwest.
As I am currently running stock exhaust i'm wondering if a PCV is a better option?
I will be purchasing a full exhaust system in the next 2-3 months. Thinking Arrow unless something else is released.
So will it cause my bike any damage if he flashes for the Arrow exhaust now? Or is it best to wait?
The reason is i really want to have the smoother map installed, especially as its now starting to rain in Perth. The smoother throttle would make me alot more comfortable.
What route would you suggest i take?

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Poogamer ive just spoken with Darren at ECUwest.
As I am currently running stock exhaust i'm wondering if a PCV is a better option?
I will be purchasing a full exhaust system in the next 2-3 months. Thinking Arrow unless something else is released.
So will it cause my bike any damage if he flashes for the Arrow exhaust now? Or is it best to wait?
The reason is i really want to have the smoother map installed, especially as its now starting to rain in Perth. The smoother throttle would make me alot more comfortable.
What route would you suggest i take?

Thanks
I thought about that too, but the PCV wont remove any of the timing restrictions, retards or DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off). So with a PCV only, you get your correct fuelling if set up on a dyno.......but everything else is still being run from the ECU which really needs a flash IMO.

I thought about the full exhaust option also, but decided to stay stock for now so I just had it flashed for a stock bike. Not sure about damage if you have it flashed for a full exhaust, if anything your going to be running a bit rich. Dont think any damage is likely, but it may not run as well.

Honestly I would get the flash done first, to make the bike behave the way it should without overthinking every mm you put into the throttle. Then a full exhaust system and PCV tuned on the dyno to ensure everything is mickey mouse. I wasnt too keen on having a tune for an exhaust put in when I didnt have the exhaust on yet, although he did offer to do so. I enquired about the M4 slip on which they had a tune for also.

Remember the settings in the ECU are just that, in the ECU........so even if you add a tuner after the flash when you get your exhaust (which is recommended by ECUnleashed to correct any air/fuel ratios) the tuner will not affect any of the changes made during the ECU flash. So you get the best of both worlds. Would have loved to have paid only 150 bucks, but I knew the problems of the bike before I bought it and 500 bucks to give me a 100% increase in rideability IMO was well worth it. At first you notice only a few changes, but as the rides progress you notice little things here and there. And you notice things you dont do anymore.......like worry too much about throttle inputs because it is just smooth.

I definitely recommend the flash first, then full exhaust upgrade with tuner if you so desire after that. I actually think the flash gave the stock exhaust a slightly throatier note which I am very much enjoying. I can hear my exhaust a whole lot more whilst riding than before the flash which may be placebo effect.....but very much a bonus for me.

I rode this morning to work......I still recommend B mode in the wet even after any flash or tune lol.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I thought about that too, but the PCV wont remove any of the timing restrictions, retards or DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off). So with a PCV only, you get your correct fuelling if set up on a dyno.......but everything else is still being run from the ECU which really needs a flash IMO.

I thought about the full exhaust option also, but decided to stay stock for now so I just had it flashed for a stock bike. Not sure about damage if you have it flashed for a full exhaust, if anything your going to be running a bit rich. Dont think any damage is likely, but it may not run as well.
This is most of my problems. Ive a TB S1R and filter with an EJK controller - its fine and tuned well but there is still a small decel issues at 4K which I think a ECu flash would fix - not to mention all those other flash benefits.

Im not so keen on flashing for my mods as its a bit perm as I like to change things up from time to time - if I do flash Ill probably go with stock fuel maps and then keep my controller to tune against the exhaust and mods.

Im not sure the flash is worth the $500AUD when my FC has already fixed the snatchy throttle etc so I dont have to use anything other the A mode even in peak traffic on the Mitch.

Then again ive spent a fortune on this bike already so may as well finish it off.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
FlashTune will have a wiring harness that you install on your 09 and then you can flash your own ECU from a laptop with maps you down load or modify yourself.

For myself I'm planning on staying with the stock exhaust and the Stoltec throttle flash and fuel map for the stock pipe.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FlashTune will have a wiring harness that you install on your 09 and then you can flash your own ECU from a laptop with maps you down load or modify yourself.

For myself I'm planning on staying with the stock exhaust and the Stoltec throttle flash and fuel map for the stock pipe.
They didnt have one ready for purchase yet when I enquired. That was a few weeks ago now though. I also just got a stock flash for stock pipe.

Yeah I bet it is - Ill tell that to the other half when she queries how much it is!

The other thing is Ill have to go a week without my bike - thats tough :)
I second that it is worth it for sure. Have a chat to Farren, I got mine done pretty much same day as I live very close by to him but if your willing to drive and pick it up...........you may only have a 2-3 day turnaround. Mine was out Tuesday morning, dropped off at lunchtime, back in the bike Tuesday arvo. And then nothing but pure enjoyment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read the post on lifting tank but it wasnt ecu specific. I assume that would have to be removed and sent to them.
Is there a better post on that somewhere ? Im not super mechanical but can do some minor stuff :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
They didnt have one ready for purchase yet when I enquired. That was a few weeks ago now though. I also just got a stock flash for stock pipe.
Are you thinking of getting an AM exhaust later down the line? If so, are you going the PC option to tune for the new pipe?

Did you enquire about the possibilty of getting a wiring harness to be able to flash it yourself - do you know if ECU West getting one?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I read the post on lifting tank but it wasnt ecu specific. I assume that would have to be removed and sent to them.
Is there a better post on that somewhere ? Im not super mechanical but can do some minor stuff :)
Once you lift the tank completely off your going to see the ECU. The ECU is the black box with the two harnesses plugged into it thats slotted into the top of the airbox. i.e. remove tank > unplug ECU > Remove ECU.

This pdf explains how to install a FC, but the first part shows the tank removal. The ECU is in the 2nd pic on the 2nd page - it has the blue/silver Denso label on it.

Just a word of advice - if your going to remove the tank, make sure you use some rags when unplugging the fuel line - there is bound to be excess fuel in there and you dont want it to leak everywhere.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts