Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Rayminator and I trailered the bikes down to Ft Myers, we went with a basic reflash, a quick turn throttle in A mode, better fueling, smoother STD mode and B mode. Let me tell you that he is first class in setting it up. The A mode will take a little to get used to, slightly powerful above 4K rpm. It feels like a totally different bike for sure. Will post some more when I ride it on a longer ride.

·
Registered
315 Posts
So Rayminator and I trailered the bikes down to Ft Myers, we went with a basic reflash, a quick turn throttle in A mode, better fueling, smoother STD mode and B mode. Let me tell you that he is first class in setting it up. The A mode will take a little to get used to, slightly powerful above 4K rpm. It feels like a totally different bike for sure. Will post some more when I ride it on a longer ride.
David did an excellent job, of informing us, about what to expect with the re-flash changes. I took a 50 mile test ride this afternoon.
STD mode is much smoother than the factory 2015 re-flash (*a big improvement from the original), that the Dealer had installed about a month ago.
It was great, to have had experience riding with the 3 different ECM maps, original, 2015 updated map, and today with the vcyclenut map.

With the vcyclenut work today: A mode is rip & tear, all the way...even impressive in the higher gears. STD mode was even smoother than the 2015 flash.

The B mode was not tested.

There was mention, that the gas mileage may drop with the optimized fueling, when watching the average MPG readout today, it did not show any drastic change. My bike has over 9k on it, and more miles will be racked up soon, there will be plenty of opportunity to do mileage checks, under many different conditions.

Both of our bikes, have the stock exhaust in place.

As others have said, "best bang for the buck" *just the improved smoothness alone, was worth the $, but more importantly, the neck snapping response in A mode, is the home run.

Thank you, for a job well done!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am interested in vcycelnut flash but after reading the info on the quick turn throttle im still confused!! How does it compare to the stock "A" mode?
Not sure if i want to go with the quick turn "A" mode or the smooth.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am interested in vcycelnut flash but after reading the info on the quick turn throttle im still confused!! How does it compare to the stock "A" mode?
Not sure if i want to go with the quick turn "A" mode or the smooth.
I would say that the A mode re-flash, is considerably more aggressive, than the Factory A mode.

Std. mode is strong, but smooth......you get them both.

What exactly, are you looking for?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thanks for the review, Rayminator. I was on the fence between the factory reflash or vcyclenut's flash. Vcyclenut's flash it is.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm thinking of going with vcyclenut's smooth on A, stock A on STD and vcyclenut's version of B on B. I don't think I'd like to change the relationship between the amount of turn at the throttle and actual throttle opening. At 57, my brain's not so flexible :). As I understand it, there's no more torque or HP to be had with the quick turn, just the fly by wire ratio changes, correct?

·
Vendor
1,571 Posts
David did an excellent job, of informing us, about what to expect with the re-flash changes. I took a 50 mile test ride this afternoon.
STD mode is much smoother than the factory 2015 re-flash (*a big improvement from the original), that the Dealer had installed about a month ago.
It was great, to have had experience riding with the 3 different ECM maps, original, 2015 updated map, and today with the vcyclenut map.

With the vcyclenut work today: A mode is rip & tear, all the way...even impressive in the higher gears. STD mode was even smoother than the 2015 flash.

The B mode was not tested.

There was mention, that the gas mileage may drop with the optimized fueling, when watching the average MPG readout today, it did not show any drastic change. My bike has over 9k on it, and more miles will be racked up soon, there will be plenty of opportunity to do mileage checks, under many different conditions.

Both of our bikes, have the stock exhaust in place.

As others have said, "best bang for the buck" *just the improved smoothness alone, was worth the $, but more importantly, the neck snapping response in A mode, is the home run.

Thank you, for a job well done!

glad you are both happy!!

I'm thinking of going with vcyclenut's smooth on A, stock A on STD and vcyclenut's version of B on B. I don't think I'd like to change the relationship between the amount of turn at the throttle and actual throttle opening. At 57, my brain's not so flexible :). As I understand it, there's no more torque or HP to be had with the quick turn, just the fly by wire ratio changes, correct?
your thinking to much about it. All fly by wire bikes, even stock, are not what you turn is what you get. The ability to tune the throttle is the major advantage of fly by wire.

correct, actual power does not change just the amount of turn of your wrist to get to it is lessened.

I really think you would be missing out if you did not get the quick turn in A mode. You could leave the bike in standard mode most of the time and get a total linear throttle and just put it in A mode when you felt the need. A mode is still very easy to control it just is a whole lot of fun when you twist the happy handle

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I had a flash done here in Sydney.
And Vcycle is right, get quick turn in A, and smooth (or whatever it's called) in std.

I have a similar setup, I ride in A most of the time because it is FUN, std in bumper to bumper traffic or rain, and haven't used B mode since I had the flash done a few months ago.
The yamaha A mode is choppy, no need to keep it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a flash done here in Sydney.
And Vcycle is right, get quick turn in A, and smooth (or whatever it's called) in std.

I have a similar setup, I ride in A most of the time because it is FUN, std in bumper to bumper traffic or rain, and haven't used B mode since I had the flash done a few months ago.
The yamaha A mode is choppy, no need to keep it.
Where in sydney did you get a flash done?

·
Registered
391 Posts
your thinking to much about it. All fly by wire bikes, even stock, are not what you turn is what you get. The ability to tune the throttle is the major advantage of fly by wire.

correct, actual power does not change just the amount of turn of your wrist to get to it is lessened.

I really think you would be missing out if you did not get the quick turn in A mode. You could leave the bike in standard mode most of the time and get a total linear throttle and just put it in A mode when you felt the need. A mode is still very easy to control it just is a whole lot of fun when you twist the happy handle
Thank you :). I've been waiting for the weather to turn and stay crappy, and so far it's been warm enough to ride pretty regularly. I need to do without for a bit and get this done.

Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Where in sydney did you get a flash done?
On two wheels in campbelltown. I would have sent it to ECUwest, but couldn't afford the downtime with the bike off the road. Getting it organised was like pulling effing teeth. Once i was there, really painless, ride in, ride out, $30 extra to remove the ECU and put it back in.
The map isn't written by them, which is what makes it more difficult, and they don't offer the custom options that Vcycle does. Normal price is $600 or so from OTW, as ECUwest had a special, on two wheels did it for $400. Could have been better, but I'm still very happy, well worth doing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Went for a pretty tame ride yesterday, with the new flash....had a fist full of runs through the gears.
The rest of the ride was ho hum. Gas mileage was 44 MPG, with the stock flash, that same ride would have netted 50+ MPG easy.

I will say the weather was 60ish, not the best for high MPG, but the bike pulled it's ass off. I am sure if I try for great MPG the numbers will go up.

Still smiling, about the re-flash results.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've been running by VCycleNut flash with the stock exhaust custom tune and have notice the bike is running much richer and gas mileage has dropped about 4-6 mpg with it. Will let run for a couple more weeks and see if it stays on the rich side. If so, will need to get the Arkapovic exhaust and tune applied instead from him.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts