Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received my ECU back from Nick Saturday and got to take my first ride today. I had lung cancer surgery nine days ago and I’m supposed to be on total bed rest so my ride was shorter than I would have liked. As soon as I took off I noticed how smooth the throttle tip in was and how smooth the throttle response was compared to stock. I had to ride 4+ miles to find smooth and straight highway but I could feel an improvement every foot of the way. On smooth pavement, I did not want any jarring, I did roll on the throttle in second but I wanted to keep the front wheel on the pavement or close. IN third at around fifty mph, I gave it a fist full of throttle and I had a smooth controllable wheelie. It did the same at about sixty in fourth. MY FZ-09 has 4500 miles on it and it has never ran close to as strong as it did today. It is a true BEAST! I did not try A mode.

On my return ride I saw an approaching car traveling too fast for the S-curve we would meet in unless he was a pro and knew the road. I slowed to 15 mph and when the foolish one saw me he over steered and I had to drive into a neighbors yard to miss being hit by at least 75 mph. I’m pretty sure he would have killed me.

UPDATE: I've been informed by an expert that my fourth gear power wheelie was an anomaly. DON'T get a ECU Reflash With Factory Exhaust Fuel Map and expect fourth gear power wheelies!

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'm not seeing 4th gear wheelies even in A mode unless you are clutching it up, going over a rise in the road, or you weigh 300lbs and are sitting on the rear seat area.

·
Registered
835 Posts
This post needs more wheelies!

Reactions: doozerdave

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
A mode makes the same power as STD mode....it just gets the job done a little quicker.

·
Registered
835 Posts
A mode makes the same power as STD mode....it just gets the job done a little quicker.
Yeah, I never understood the point of STD mode.

A mode all day.

B mode for rain.

Reactions: Poogamer69

·
Registered
141 Posts
Other way round for me - I don't understand the point of A mode. Choose the throttle travel that is the best balance between quick action and enough travel to allow fine control, and that's standard mode. Then have a low power mode for rain, because that's what the marketing folk seem to think impresses people.
Job done - why have an A mode that doesnt use the full throttle travel and gives you full throttle at less than full grip movement? Because it feels fast on a test ride is the only reason I can think of.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Can you say...track days or racing?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Which do you need more or less of on track, fine throttle control or wrist movement? Both still seem equally important to me - I just don't get it. It just seems like a way for the oem to avoid having to produce a properly sorted throttle. 'A mode too jerky for you? That's because it's designed for RACERS!'

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
835 Posts
After having my ECU flashed by Nels @ 2WheelDynoWorks, we defaulted A mode and smoothed out the maps, improved throttle response and cut out that nasty engine braking.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2305-2-wheel-dyno-works-no-ethanol-tune.html

There's my thread on it. A mode really works well for me now, I like having the power open up when I want it without having to reposition my wrist for full throttle.

We have some on ramps here in WA that are 1.5 mile stretches...so uh...power wheelies...yup.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm not seeing 4th gear wheelies even in A mode unless you are clutching it up, going over a rise in the road, or you weigh 300lbs and are sitting on the rear seat area.
It may very well been the road but it was not a significant rise in the road. I had just shifted into fourth but it was not a speed shift. I know where there are numerous rises in the road where the front came up on my FZ-09 in fourth before the reflash. I weigh 170 lbs. and I did not use the clutch. MY FZ-09 may never do a 4th gear wheelie again. I respect you triplethreat. I discovered a long time ago the only person I needed to impress or prove anything to is myself. I was sharing an experience.:cool:
Awesome feedback! But why not at least try A mode??
DreamFZ I was riding with pillows strapped around my lung and spitting gunk and blood. I wish I had tried A mode. It simply just didn't cross my mind.:cool:
I am retired and do pretty much what I want. I only answer to God. I am unable to ride today :( or I'd put several hundred mile on my FZ-09.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Dr R......First, I wish you well on your recovery from the surgery. Second, I can tell you I'm not tough enough to be out riding a motorcycle nine days after surgery....<<<Salute>>>. The FZ does have a tremendous amount of torque, but it won't pull the front end up in fourth gear without some type of help....a rise in the road, clutching,'...something. I suspect that it was a bump/rise in the road if the other options weren't there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
DreamFZ I was riding with pillows strapped around my lung and spitting gunk and blood. I wish I had tried A mode. It simply just didn't cross my mind.:cool:
I am retired and do pretty much what I want. I only answer to God. I am unable to ride today :( or I'd put several hundred mile on my FZ-09.
You were out yanking the throttle open 9 days after pulmonary surgery? You sir, are a nutter! And my new retiree role model for when my time comes. :D

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Which do you need more or less of on track, fine throttle control or wrist movement? Both still seem equally important to me - I just don't get it. It just seems like a way for the oem to avoid having to produce a properly sorted throttle. 'A mode too jerky for you? That's because it's designed for RACERS!'

Sent via Tapatalk.
Why not equip the bike with the best of both worlds? A mellow mode for when it is slippery/raining/low traction situations, a STD most that will work for most riders, and an "A" mode for the folks that want/need instantaneous throttle response in a track day/racing situation. As far as on track needs, I want a bike that has an instantaneous throttle response for drive out of the corners and for any situation where throttle "right now" is needed. Does that make the bike a bit harder to modulate? Of course it does. So the option there is to learn to be incredibly smooth with the throttle hand. I spent the better part of two years of track days.....every single time I would be on the track and getting ready to apex a corner and drive out, saying outloud to myself over and over and over......"smooth, smooth, smooth". In other words, I made a concerted effort to learn to be smooth both on the brakes and on and off the throttle. That is the reason that the throttle on the FZ09 has NEVER been an issue to me. I will say that I am enjoying the ECU flash though, as it allows better throttle application on bumpy roads, which is where my FZ09 will spend most, if not all of it's time. I didn't buy it for a track bike, but I do like to ride a spirited ride in the mountains and sometimes the roads are less than smooth.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I see you're coming from. I'm just not convinced that a bike with properly sorted fuel delivery needs any of this stuff. My 2001 gsxr 1000 had oodles more power than the 9 I'm guessing from about 5k rpm and up - it was a torque monster. I was in the UK back then so every other ride was wet - I never felt the need for a 'b' mode because the throttle gave me what I wanted, only when I asked for it. Never felt like I needed to twist my wrist excessively either.
If with the ecu flash the yam is that friendly in std or A, that's great (I get my ecu back in a few days so I'll find out soon) but if it is, then only one mode needed and that's the way it should have come from the factory - which is my point.

Sent via Tapatalk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts