1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
They've been around for quite some time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
ECUnleashed was the frontrunner in the motorcycle flashing business years ago. They are pricey, but they are about the best, not always but, generally speaking they have the best R&D put into their flashes. They're italian and their tuners are world class but being italian, they're not so good with the english communication.

also, thats what flashes usually cost, $400-$550 for every other bike out there, yall got spoiled for awhile around here

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yamaha UK are rolling out a re-flash for the MT09 in response to customers criticism of the snatchy throttle. All MT09s and demo bikes are now fitted with the new ECU map.....just wandering if our U.S. cousins have had or heard anything similar...for further info...please refer to the forum on MT09/FZ9 forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yamaha UK are rolling out a re-flash for the MT09 in response to customers criticism of the snatchy throttle. All MT09s and demo bikes are now fitted with the new ECU map.....just wandering if our U.S. cousins have had or heard anything similar...for further info...please refer to the forum on MT09/FZ9 forum. Thanks!
Yamaha Italy started about 1 and a half month ago with customer bikes re-flash.

Mine is flashed with the official Yamaha upgrade and I can say that the on/off is totally disappeared on STD mode which is now a real intermediate map. You can finally power on the bike and use it just like that almost all situations, the switch to A when you want to risk the arrest and to B when the weather is bad or you're cruising with the passenger.

I'm really satisfied of the upgrade and now the thoughts about the re-flash are disappeared, at least until the exhaust will come

·
Registered
555 Posts
I and a few others have already had our MT09's flashed via the ECUnleashed software here in Perth, and it does wonders. Was pricey, but the only ECU reflash option available in my area. Mail in is not an option, if it was I still don't think I would do it...........you wanna see how those posties handle these packages, F that.

Wonder if Yamaha AU are gonna offer reflashes in Australia. They can GSAD that they are touching mine, as the ECUnleashed flash works perfectly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interested in this too and hitting up the dealer this week. One of the guys I know here on the East Coast (Aus) has already been in touch with Yamaha Aus and they said call the dealer, he called the dealer who knew nothing but followed up with Yamaha and were advised yes they are doing them as a no cost item and to bring it in (they also said "gee we haven't flashed an ECU in years which isn't highly confidence inspiring but they only have to load a file and have instructions from Yamaha on how to!) Hopefully I can get them to swap the noisy CCT at the same time and fix my woes. ;)

Be interested in his feedback and will post here (I think he may be on here also as he posted this thread elsewhere - Duane??)

·
Registered
28 Posts
The re-flash is now with UK dealers and is being done under warranty...Yamaha appear to be keeping this quiet though...no major announcements but a memo to dealers asking them to contact Yamaha UK for the Flash if customers are requesting it.......obviously not wanting it to look like a re-call. Apparently, all UK models have now been upgraded with this new flash along with the demo bikes used for their MT Dark side road show.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yamaha Italy started about 1 and a half month ago with customer bikes re-flash.

Mine is flashed with the official Yamaha upgrade and I can say that the on/off is totally disappeared on STD mode which is now a real intermediate map. You can finally power on the bike and use it just like that almost all situations, the switch to A when you want to risk the arrest and to B when the weather is bad or you're cruising with the passenger.

I'm really satisfied of the upgrade and now the thoughts about the re-flash are disappeared, at least until the exhaust will come
Having had the bike re-flashed, is there any difference to the power delivery....is it softer or is it still the beast we all know and love? A lot of concern in the UK that the bike will lose its quick acceleration at the expense of getting rid of the initial roll-on 'snatch'.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rang local Yamaha NZ dealer today to book in for 10k service, asked about the official flash and they said it arrived yesterday and will be available for next week when it gets serviced. They also warned it is a one time only flash, so not sure if that's true or what they have been told by Yamaha. As we are still in winter here and I spend most of the time in B mode getting through the traffic, it will be interesting to see what difference it makes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having had the bike re-flashed, is there any difference to the power delivery....is it softer or is it still the beast we all know and love? A lot of concern in the UK that the bike will lose its quick acceleration at the expense of getting rid of the initial roll-on 'snatch'.
Some people in the Italian forum complained about a little lose of aggressiveness in A mode, some other users didn't noticed but I think is only about the rider sensivity.

I can't judge correctly the A mode because I practically never used it since I like too much the standard mode to ride mountains around my place. The throttle now is so smooth and you can actually manage It in the middle of the corner.

I will test A mode as it should be done in the incoming days.

Of course the on-off absence removes that sense of "fear" and ass-kick but I can guarantee that there's no power losing. The bike is just powerful as before when you open up the gas but the throttle has become now a real progressive one.

If you can read Italian and you're interested in other opinion, this is the link to the Italian forum discussion:

YAMAHA ECU update - Mt09.it discussion

About the "one time upgrade" some dealers here offered to get back to the old map, so maybe is possible to downgrade also via Yamaha software but I'm not sure of that...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some people in the Italian forum complained about a little lose of aggressiveness in A mode, some other users didn't noticed but I think is only about the rider sensivity.

I can't judge correctly the A mode because I practically never used it since I like too much the standard mode to ride mountains around my place. The throttle now is so smooth and you can actually manage It in the middle of the corner.

I will test A mode as it should be done in the incoming days.

Of course the on-off absence removes that sense of "fear" and ass-kick but I can guarantee that there's no power losing. The bike is just powerful as before when you open up the gas but the throttle has become now a real progressive one.

If you can read Italian and you're interested in other opinion, this is the link to the Italian forum discussion:

YAMAHA ECU update - Mt09.it discussion

About the "one time upgrade" some dealers here offered to get back to the old map, so maybe is possible to downgrade also via Yamaha software but I'm not sure of that...
Great update RDonovan....loads of speculation and anticipation over the pond....waiting for someone to test ride an MT09/FZ09 that has been re-flashed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My MT09 will be flashed tomorrow morning.

It's an otherwise standard Australian model. I'm hoping all the new mapping changes is the hyper aggressive on/off transitions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My MT09 will be flashed tomorrow morning.

It's an otherwise standard Australian model. I'm hoping all the new mapping changes is the hyper aggressive on/off transitions.
Look forward to your review...hopefully the snatch will be totally eradicated but still retaining its acceleration....but with initial roll-on smoothness. Us U.K. guys have been purchasing G2 Throttle smoothers from the U.S. which are brilliant....just wandering what the comparison will be like!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I brought my bike in a couple of hours ago, should be ready anytime with the new Yamaha mapping. I will report later this evening (living in the Netherlands btw)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I brought my bike in a couple of hours ago, should be ready anytime with the new Yamaha mapping. I will report later this evening (living in the Netherlands btw)
Thanks D. Look forward to it....will be having mine done shortly unless negative feedback...all good at the moment!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just contacted my dealer in Canada. They hadn't heard of it or received a bulletin about it. I asked them to contact Yamaha UK. If there's a free solution to a problem that shouldn't have been there to start with, I certainly want it :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks D. Look forward to it....will be having mine done shortly unless negative feedback...all good at the moment!
Bike is still at the dealer, they mechanics couldn't download the software from the Yamaha server. So they send me back home with a Suzuki V-Strom 650 and they're going to try again tomorrow :'(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just contacted my dealer in Canada. They hadn't heard of it or received a bulletin about it. I asked them to contact Yamaha UK. If there's a free solution to a problem that shouldn't have been there to start with, I certainly want it :)
Yamaha are keeping it quiet but the re-map is out there..Yam. probably don't want to make a big announcement for marketing reasons...or make it look like a re-call. I saw the memo from Yamaha UK yesterday which notified dealers of the re-flash, which is presently being rolled-out. The good thing also is that the re-flash is being covered by the warranty. If your dealer is not aware of all this, educate him and request that he start making phone calls. -This re-map is how the FZ09 /MT09 should have been from stock.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts