Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone!
First off i wanted to say hello, as im new to this forum.
Just picked up my FZ-09 a few weeks ago and love it! Rode GSXR 750's for the last 10 yrs and decided it was time for a change.

Anyway, as most of you know the FZ-09 is quite jerky/snatchy in A mode. Im going to see my dyno guy on friday to have him flash my ECU and load a custom mapping for A mode. He said itll get rid of the jerkiness and adds torque and HP. Ill update when he finishes.

Anyone had this done yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It appears stoltec is loading a standard mapping and sending right back. My dyno guy said he will be doing that, but then fine tuning it to my bike on the dyno. Im not a mechanic so im just assuming the fine tune will make a slight difference.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks guys. It appears stoltec is loading a standard mapping and sending right back. My dyno guy said he will be doing that, but then fine tuning it to my bike on the dyno. Im not a mechanic so im just assuming the fine tune will make a slight difference.

I would wait to do dyno untill you do an airbox mod or change exhaust. You would not really gain anything from a dyno tune with no mods. The Stoltec flash does get rid of the jerky feel and is much smoother. Also it has less engin braking which is nice. And thats only 100$ and no stress on your bike from a dyno.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Price went up a bit ago to $125 but WELL WORTH the price. I just got mine back from Stoltec this past weekend and put back into my stock bike. What a difference!! It is MUCH smoother, doesn't feel as tightly wound if that makes sense, nicer coming out of corners, you can actually let off the throttle without lunging forward AND the power is still there when you want it. I got my default startup to be in A mode and that is working perfectly fine for me.

Can you tell I LIKE it? :)

I would agree with others on the dyno and that it doesn't really make sense unless you're doing a Power Commander and mods that affect air/fuel/exhaust. Although, its always nice to have a baseline dyno graph.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Price went up for the Stoltec flash but the return shipping is included now. Even without the shipping a great deal.

Your local tuner should do well with the air/fuel mixture, but as has been said if you don't have an after market pipe etc you don't need to mess with that. Nick has put a lot of time into other issues of the ECU, I doubt your local tuner would do as well with those.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is there a link on how to get to the ECU I haven't received my manual yet?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Remove the fake air scoops, then the center plastic piece by the steering stem, then the two front rubber trim pieces on the tank seam, then the two rear bolts. You can lift the tank and use a couple of 1X4 wood blocks to prop up the tank. THe ECU is mounted on top of the airbox, unplug the two cables (tabs are underneath), press down on ECU retainer, and slide it out to the right.

CAUTION: Two things to watch for. It is super easy to scratch the frame with the tank, so tape a shop towel to each side of the frame below the tank. Also, the bottom mount of the tank can scratch the tank if you do not lift it up properly. I barely avoided it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Remove the fake air scoops, then the center plastic piece by the steering stem, then the two front rubber trim pieces on the tank seam, then the two rear bolts. You can lift the tank and use a couple of 1X4 wood blocks to prop up the tank. THe ECU is mounted on top of the airbox, unplug the two cables (tabs are underneath), press down on ECU retainer, and slide it out to the right.

CAUTION: Two things to watch for. It is super easy to scratch the frame with the tank, so tape a shop towel to each side of the frame below the tank. Also, the bottom mount of the tank can scratch the tank if you do not lift it up properly. I barely avoided it.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is there a link on how to get to the ECU I haven't received my manual yet?
There is a thread on removing tank and doing throttle body balance that has great pics. I opted to not remove any fuel lines or connectors and propped the tank up. Don't tell anyone but my daughter's Disney princess sippy cup was the perfect height :) A bit nerve racking being afraid of scratching the tank or frame doing it myself so I'd recommend a helper and you can sneak the ECU out just fine. Two wire groups go into two large connectors into the ECU from the right side of the bike. Remove the connectors and then pull out ECU. The ECU is about dead center under the tank and on top the air box. Take a slow careful look and you'll notice there are just two plastic tabs to lift up and the ECU slides out to the right. At first glance you might think you need to remove the air box or screws but it is a simple removal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had Nels here in the NW flash and dyno my ecu. Now at 107.77 HP, 62.9torque.
Much better!

"Ride it like you stole it"

·
Registered
663 Posts
Pardon me if I sound naive, but I have a question about ECU. If aftermarket guys like Stoltec can figure out how to make the fuel mapping correct, and remove some jerkiness, why can't Yamaha figure it out and start that way?

Or is like shocks, blinkers, and everything else. The OEM just does what's easy, quick and cheap? Just wondering.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wonder if they do it for EPA reasons and Fuel economy.
I can't figure why they wouldn't send it out the door in the best configuration possible other than gov't regulations.
They aren't stupid, they spend a ton of money and time on R&D so I have to say the MAN is making it happen.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Had Nels here in the NW flash and dyno my ecu. Now at 107.77 HP, 62.9torque.
Much better!

"Ride it like you stole it"
Nice numbers.

I think you may be the only other person on this forum from the greater Seattle area. We should hit Highbridge, and Ben Howard some time. I was one of the first to get Nicks re-flash. He adds some more timing with the re-flash, and smooths the "quick turn" throttle action in "A" mode as well. I thought the top speed limiter was supposed to be removed during the flash, but apparently that hasn't happened yet.

Nels never did fix the only thing I wanted done on one of my Kawi parallel twins, even after taking it back twice. He's apparently good with inline fours. Last time I went to one of his dyno group set-up days, there were a bunch of liter bikes with 2 inch chicken strips on the back tire, looking for that last bit of power to get 170-180hp at the wheel. What a joke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just picked up a 2015 fz09 yesterday and read a lot about the ecu on this forum and other reviews. Is that something specific for 2014 models or do I need to get this fixed too. Just rode it home from dealer in STD mode and was damn cold so haven't given it a chance to notice it. Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just picked up a 2015 fz09 yesterday and read a lot about the ecu on this forum and other reviews. Is that something specific for 2014 models or do I need to get this fixed too. Just rode it home from dealer in STD mode and was damn cold so haven't given it a chance to notice it. Thanks
They have fixed the throttle issues with the 2015 so I would not be concerned unless you change the exhaust or something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts