Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between Stoltec and Flash-Tune regarding ECU flash?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't recall hearing from someone that has ridden with both. Flash-Tune and Stoltec worked together on the first 09 flash, Nick of Stoltec owns an 09 and sent his ECU to F-T so that F-T could do the initial decoding etc. I'd expect them to be broadly the same, but as I said Nick actually owns an 09 and he did additional development/refining of the throttle maps. My dollars voted for Stoltec. ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am beyond happy with my stoltec flash. Easily the best money ive spent on the bike. Cant speak about flash-tune as I know nothing about them.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Well I've had the ECU back for awhile but I'm doing a bunch of other stuff to the bike and am waiting for parts etc, so I haven't ridden with the new flash yet.

I ordered my 09 something like late August, I hoped to put a couple thousand miles on it fairly stock before winter, but didn't get the bike until well into Nov, my one and only ride on it was 26 miles before winter. Now it's in pieces for modifying, waiting for parts being developed and I'm a slow wrench lol. So even when I do ride with the new flash I won't be the best qualified to review it.

Forum members that have commented about their Stoltec flash overwhelmingly like it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have the flash tune flash and I am very happy. The only reason I went with them over stoltec was that flash tune is 10 miles from my house. If I had to ship it, I would choose stoltec to help support a supporting vendor that has done a bunch of R&D and hooked us up with group buys. Stoltec is also cheaper btw

·
Registered
187 Posts
they're the same thing. flash tune is the software company. they develop the ecu editing software after cracking the ecu's. they then create basemaps and sell em as their basic flashes. nick, made his throttle maps, partnered with 2wheeldynoworks who then actually created a full dyno tested flash using flashtune software, which is now sold by nick.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I believe Nick tweaked his a bit from the Flash-tune throttle map. They were working together though, so maybe Flash-tune went with Stoltec's refinements.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Running the latest Flash-tune here. I can't speak for Nick but I believe Nick started with the original Flash-Tune map and made his own refinements to it.

I recently helped Flash-tune test a new version of the map that has their own refinements.

Either map may have its own unique qualities. But unless someone tries both we will never know the difference.

All I can say about the Flash-tune version is that its made the bike much more manageable and it left a huge smile on a famous Yamaha tuner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between Stoltec and Flash-Tune regarding ECU flash?
Thanks
Drove my ecu to nick stoltec awesome guy straight shooter and i believe he has refined the ecu from the 1st flash also has fuel maps for a couple exhausts. I love the flash from nick as i have said before on other thread i was stuck in B mode now im straight A. You will not be dissapointed

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Besides, why not spend YOUR money with a Supporting Vendor on here! His prices are MORE than fair and he worked lots of hours refining this flash to make it as close to perfect as you can get. My money went to the guy that supports US on this forum and I was rewarded with an ECU flash that is just unbelievable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I plan on getting my ecu done this winter and have been comparing them both. If you plan on getting a flash for a slip on then flash tune is actually cheaper than stoltec by 75 dollars. sorry though i love the forum i have no loyalty to anyone but my wife. one diff is that flash tune seems to default you to a mode whereas stoltec gives you an option of std. I'm still waiting for feedback on threads like this to make my choice.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The bike defaults to STD mode from the factory when it is started. The flash works across the board. You have the choice of changing the default start up mode to any of the three modes. I choose A mode as my default start up mode because I stay in A mode most of the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
And, I do believe that Nick's reflash is less expensive than Flashtune!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts