Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing my akra TI w/ power commander tomorrow. I'm not very mechanically inclined. My friend who does most of my bike work will be helping me out, but he's not too familiar with power commanders.

Do I just download a default map from online or do I take it to a shop to have it mapped out? Do I really need to flash my ECU with my new exhaust set up?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
342 Posts
the akra is made to be used with the stock set-up I have researched this a lot....I plan on getting one the end of july......bolting it right up no power commander or reflash needed.....

·
Registered
555 Posts
There should be a default map available on the Dynojet website. Download it and install it into your PCV via the software. Up to you if you then want to go further and dyno tune.

You dont need to have your ECU flashed................the bike will still function fine with it stock. However I highly, very highly, recommend it. If only to smooth out the somewhat abrupt on/off throttle action and remove the restrictions such as timing retards to be able to get the absolute most from your bike. The ECU flash, paired with the PCV and full system exhaust......will really make your bike rip. That being said, many are happy with either just the PCV, or just the flash. Those with both.........are super happy.

The Akra is made to run with the stock setup.........if you use the baffle and the optional catalytic convertor. It was designed to have the same backpressure as the stock system. But having that catalytic convertor defies the purpose of the full exhaust system in the first place. If you plan on running sans cat or sans baffle, it would be beneficial to add the PCV and have it tuned.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There should be a default map available on the Dynojet website. Download it and install it into your PCV via the software. Up to you if you then want to go further and dyno tune.

You dontneed to have your ECU flashed................the bike will still function fine with it stock. However I highly, very highly, recommend it. If only to smooth out the somewhat abrupt on/off throttle action and remove the restrictions such as timing retards to be able to get the absolute most from your bike. The ECU flash, paired with the PCV and full system exhaust......will really make your bike rip. That being said, many are happy with either just the PCV, or just the flash. Those with both.........are super happy.

The Akra is made to run with the stock setup.........if you use the baffle and the optional catalytic convertor. It was designed to have the same backpressure as the stock system. But having that catalytic convertor defies the purpose of the full exhaust system in the first place. If you plan on running sans cat or sans baffle, it would be beneficial to add the PCV and have it tuned.
So if I download the default map for akro full exhaust with stock air filter and run sans baffle with the PCV, I don't have to flash my ECU but the bike would perform better if I did? Sorry for the silly question. I just want to get this right... I don't want to run too lean as I did on my R6.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
PCV will make better use of the new exhaust

ECU flash will make throttle input more precise

I also recommend both, there is no point in adding more HP / Torque to your bike with exhaust and PCV if you can't control it with the ECU flash.

bottom line, do both. But if your running PCV there is not much to gain by adding a fuel re-map to the ECU flash. Remember, in the ECU you can re-map either fuel or throttle or both. All you really need in the ECU is a throttle re-map.

Reactions: Poogamer69

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the flash tune software can integrate power commander fuel maps into the flash, so if you already have the pc map, you don't even need the power commander. you wouldn't be able to hand tweak or change the maps though.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So if I download the default map for akro full exhaust with stock air filter and run sans baffle with the PCV, I don't have to flash my ECU but the bike would perform better if I did? Sorry for the silly question. I just want to get this right... I don't want to run too lean as I did on my R6.
You dont have to flash your ECU at all to make use of the new exhaust and PCV. Simply install those two and off you go!!!

I recommend having the ECU flash though, as others have mentioned if only for the removal of restrictions and throttle remapping to make it less "urgent". This can be done anytime before or after the exhaust and PCV install........or not at all if you so desire.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
@Poogamer

Thats true, I rode my FZ09 for months with PCV and exhaust and it was totally fine. However, once I re-mapped the throttle it made all the extra power easier to manage and riding more comfortable.

Throttle control is critical when cornering.

Reactions: CD599

·
Registered
555 Posts
@Poogamer

Thats true, I rode my FZ09 for months with PCV and exhaust and it was totally fine. However, once I re-mapped the throttle it made all the extra power easier to manage and riding more comfortable.

Throttle control is critical when cornering.
Which is why I recommended it, but said that it wasnt essential. Corner throttle inputs were terrible without the flash, but the bike can still be ridden just fine.........just not at the same pace as you would with the flash!!!

You can get by without the flash, I did too for many months.

The bike is half the bike it could be without the flash though I reckon. And would be a waste to go all out with over a grands worth of exhaust and a few hundred dollars of tuner...........to skimp on all of a $150 flash that will make the bike ride and handle all that much better than before.

Essential? No.

Beneficial? Yes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been lurking - but I have to ask, who are you guys using for the ECU reflash? I want to use Stoltec but they still haven't sorted out the top speed restriction thing - not that I want or need to go faster than 132, I just don't like having that choice made for me by the suits at Tuning Fork incorporated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been lurking - but I have to ask, who are you guys using for the ECU reflash? I want to use Stoltec but they still haven't sorted out the top speed restriction thing - not that I want or need to go faster than 132, I just don't like having that choice made for me by the suits at Tuning Fork incorporated.
The Flash-Tune apparently removes the top speed limiter. They allow you to select an unrestricted FZ09 Map File. Keep in mind I have not tested this. I only downloaded their software because I was considering buying the bench flash kit.

From flash-tunes website:
Remove ECU Restrictions
Engine Braking adjustments
High Load Fuel Maps (with PC3 and PC5 map importing)
Low Load (cruising) Fuel Maps
Fuel Injector Proportioning
Ignition Timing
Immobilizer Function
Cooling Fan Temps
Rev-Limiter Control
Remove Top Speed Limiter
ECU Based Quick-shifting
and new features are added regularly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Flash-Tune apparently removes the top speed limiter. They allow you to select an unrestricted FZ09 Map File. Keep in mind I have not tested this. I only downloaded their software because I was considering buying the bench flash kit.

From flash-tunes website:
Remove ECU Restrictions
Engine Braking adjustments
High Load Fuel Maps (with PC3 and PC5 map importing)
Low Load (cruising) Fuel Maps
Fuel Injector Proportioning
Ignition Timing
Immobilizer Function
Cooling Fan Temps
Rev-Limiter Control
Remove Top Speed Limiter
ECU Based Quick-shifting
and new features are added regularly.
This sounds pretty nice.

Thanks everyone for you input.

Now I just have to find some time not to ride and ship in my ECU to be flashed. Kind of hard since I ride to work everyday. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and drive for a week or so... damnitJIM...

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PCV installed last night. Hooked up to laptop, downloaded map from PCV website.

How can I confirm the map was installed properly without hooking the laptop back up to it?

·
Registered
380 Posts
PCV installed last night. Hooked up to laptop, downloaded map from PCV website.

How can I confirm the map was installed properly without hooking the laptop back up to it?
How does it run?
If it works you are probably ok.
I think the laptop and the software open with the PCV attached is the only way to see if the map you expect to be loaded, is actually loaded.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts