Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been given the green light to get a new exhaust system and I have narrowed it down to Graves or Akropovic carbon. Im leaning graves. Does anyone have any input on which you would choose if price is not the issue.

I plan on installing the block off plates and having my ECU flashed by Vcyclenut; however I'm not sure if he has a map for the graves or just a full exhaust map that covers it in general?
When I get my ECU flashed should I get the limiter removed? Does having it removed provide better mapping or is its existence a non issue regarding mappings. I really don't care if its there because I don't generally go that fast.
Next is the quick shift something I should add. Im not sure what if I would take advantage of it and if its bad for the bike anyway.

Ok thanks for any input.
I will be ordering my exhaust this week and wanted to have my ECU to vcyclenut before his trip in April but that may not happen

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'd still choose the Akra. You are asking for an opinion, so it is wholly subjective. Personally, I prefer the profile of the Akra silencer. Vcycle does have a specific Akra Carbon map. He does not have, to my knowledge, a specific Graves map.

The block off plates aren't necessary with the flash, as it closes the AIS. If you want to remove all of the AIS plumbing, then block offs are needed.

The speed limiter shouldn't affect the mapping. I merely lifts the 132mph restriction on the bike. Performance up to that number should remain unchanged.

I did not remove the limiter. I did not see a point in spending $100 to exceed the speed limit by more than 62mph.

·
Vendor
1,508 Posts
Fizzer is on point with his response.

I have used the akro map wth the graves pipe and had excellent results you could also choose to go with the graves flash file that he built for the graves pipe( only available with speed limiter removal and is not adjustable). Just use the flash with note option and indicate this is what you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks so far

And yes thanks for the opinions after all I asked for them
I'm going to take a good long look at the looks of each this weekend.
It's hard because I'm doing the exhaust purely for the sound
I read that even though the AIS is deactivated with a flash, the system could still draw and creat very minor noise issues

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I can tell you... there is no deceleration popping with the flash. If I were trying to sell you block off plates, I'd tell you that you need them... but you really dont.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome Hydro, I have the carbon akro pipe, graves block off plates and vcyclenut flash. there is no spitting or popping at all. I went for known performance standpoint this seems to have the most hp. from what has been posted on here.

But if sound of the pipe is a major issue you want to add the titanium akro into your considerations I hear it has a deeper richer sound than the carbon one.

Ps. fizzer is right the block off plates were put on before the flash so there staying.

·
Vendor
1,508 Posts
Thanks so far

And yes thanks for the opinions after all I asked for them
I'm going to take a good long look at the looks of each this weekend.
It's hard because I'm doing the exhaust purely for the sound
I read that even though the AIS is deactivated with a flash, the system could still draw and creat very minor noise issues
some valves do leak a bit even forced closed, my r1 did leak a bit so i plates on it, I would recomend waiting and seeing if it leaks

Do all of the aftermarket exhausts come with dual lambda sensors like the Graves?
no the akro does not

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome Hydro, I have the carbon akro pipe, graves block off plates and vcyclenut flash. there is no spitting or popping at all. I went for known performance standpoint this seems to have the most hp. from what has been posted on here.

But if sound of the pipe is a major issue you want to add the titanium akro into your considerations I hear it has a deeper richer sound than the carbon one.

Ps. fizzer is right the block off plates were put on before the flash so there staying.
I had the akrapovic titanium on the top of my list but I have concerns that the sound is not to far form the stock exhaust. I wish I could hear the differences in person.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read that the akrapovic titanium does not require mapping. Is this true? Could it benifit with one to disable the AIS?
Inwould still get the flash done to smooth things out and have the bike start in std mode instead of B

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Not requiring mapping, and not benefitting from mapping, are two totally separate things.

The idea of not "requiring" mapping, is to appease those who don't even change the oil themselves. It's easy, quick, clean... However, I feel not ideal. I'd map any aftermarket pipe, regardless of the manufacturers claim.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yea video clips don't give the real thing much justice. Someone on hear has a carbon akro and his daughter has a titanium. He said the titanium sounds better. I cant say for sure either the only bike I've heard in person is mine!

I think the carbon akro sounds great its not to loud with the db killer in. One thing that shied me away from the titanium one is a few people said they scraped the bottom of the can bottoming out on bumps and I'm not a little guy.

To me the carbon cost less, produces more hp, makes more torque and is lighter than the titanium that's why I chose the carbon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah Im rethinking my decision because I really like the look of the Akrapovic Titanium system.

So I have a question for vcyclenut that anyone in my situation could benefit from..
what would you recommend as far as ECU flash for that system? Would you use a different full map than the one used for stock? Would you disable AIS?

Side Note:
Ill tell you what....I will be doing a video review of the before and after with my sound equipment...I have a Zoom H5 with different capsules and a shotgun mic. I can record with 3 channels at once and isolate each. Ill do stationary and drive by.

I have recorded room noise with subtle conversations and my wife asked me a question. When played back the recording during editing I couldn't tell between what I monitored in my headphones and live, so I answered her..mind you this was a recording, when she did not reply, I realized it was the recording and was floored.....My point-Ill do my best to produce a true to life recording...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It's been a long time since I've been above about 120, but I wanted the limit removed because such a low limit is philosophically offensive to me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went for the Akra carbon, love the sound it makes..

Short video of it on the dyno when i was having the PCV fine tuned, I did the ball bearing mod to the ais just for the dyno tune, the next day I had the ecu flashed by Darren at ECU west, returned the ais to standard and zero pooping on decel, the flash is just amazing, IMO way way better than a PCV, hoping to get the bike on the dyno again soon and do a few power runs and maybe a little fine tuning too, will post the results when it happens.

Not the best video but you get a rough sound of the exhaust..

View My Video

·
Registered
833 Posts
what is the "ball bearing mod"? search brings me nada....

·
Registered
520 Posts
what is the "ball bearing mod"? search brings me nada....
The hose that runs from the ais that pumps excessive air into the exhaust, causing popping in adtermarket exhausts, can be blocked off by putting a ball bearing, or a marble inside the hose to block it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts