Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Batmobile
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, most people know we got rained on quite a bit during the ECR this year and didn't get a lot of quality riding in. Although I still had a great time seeing everyone and enjoying my luxury camping, I think we should try and get another group together for a nice meet soon.

Last year on my way down I made a special stop to the back of the dragon just to see what it was all about. 300+ turns over 30 miles and 3 mountains is the main attraction, but there are tons of loops to run and a lot to see in the area, known as the "claw of the dragon." It was a challenge after riding 600 miles the previous 3 days and dealing with a tropical storm the night before.

@ChesterBurnet has been talking about getting out there since before he got his fancy new knee, and he's finally ready to make it happen. I'm always down for a trip and to see some new and familiar faces, so I'm making a post to see who's interested.

There's no real plan laid out yet, but it would ideally be a Friday-Monday trip in early August. I personally have a track day the 2nd at VIR, and I'll be visiting NY the weekend of the 7-8th to see my family and some friends. (Talking about you @Niner) So possibly the weekend of the 13-16th is the earliest I can do it. Lodging could be a coordinated effort if we get enough people, I know there are plenty of chains and some independent lodges in the area. There's also a great welcome center at the beginning/end of the main route that leads to most of the surrounding areas.

Worst case it ends up being like our NYC trip and it's just the 2 of us, but I know a lot of you guys can't resist getting out and having a good time in the mountains.

I'll throw in a map of the entire area with some highlighted routes, and the link to the main site for the tourist hub. Let me know what you guys think. Home - Back of the Dragon

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
I'm in. I'd prefer to do it August 13 - 16. More daylight and warmer evenings. It's a 762 mile ride down there for me so I need every advantage I can get. If the forecast is for rain / bad weather, there are 2 more weekends in August. I've tried to organize a ride before and lots of people make and unmake commitments. I've met up with Darf before and know he is an excellent person to partner with on a ride. He does what he says, great to hang out and to talk to, and it's easy to formulate plans with him. I'd love to meet some of the people here. I'm pretty sure some are at least as nuts as I am.

I'll be coming down from Massachusetts and will stop overnite in NJ. If there is anybody in that area that might want to do this and hook up for the ride down, let me know.

I had to get myself back into long distance riding shape to even think about this after my knee replacement. Yesterday and today I was able to get the ball of my foot on the peg for the first time in over 3 years.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Interested but I have a Trackday the 13th(my birthday) at summit main. Not a show stopper for either event but this is worth noting. Keep me posted

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Got VIR on the 2nd. But free after probably. Still deciding on the work situation. More should come to VIR if they can swing it. The more the merrier.

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
435 Posts
Got VIR on the 2nd. But free after probably. Still deciding on the work situation. More should come to VIR if they can swing it. The more the merrier.
August 2nd? This I may be able to attend

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
Batmobile
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm locked in for VIR for the 2nd, that $50 credit for helping with the fences was a nice chunk off, forgot I had that. Might do CMP on the 28/29 too.

Took off the 13-16 as well so that seems like it's the date for the back of the dragon, but will keep an eye on the long forcast. I haven't looked into hotel rates yet, but I'm sure they won't be terrible in that area.

@Muc I already figured you'd make at least one day 😂

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
I too hope you have a great turnout for this get together. Wish I could join in for this one. So many good rides in the area. However, in looking over the included map I see a glaring omission. That being the run between Independence and Damascus, VA. on US58. Without question one of the greatest romps on the east coast. You all should make the effort to do that one.

And Brent, what's up with your signature. I'm mildly insulted.

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
I'm locked in for VIR for the 2nd, that $50 credit for helping with the fences was a nice chunk off, forgot I had that. Might do CMP on the 28/29 too.

Took off the 13-16 as well so that seems like it's the date for the back of the dragon, but will keep an eye on the long forcast. I haven't looked into hotel rates yet, but I'm sure they won't be terrible in that area.

@Muc I already figured you'd make at least one day 😂
Ok. so official date is Auguts 13 - 16. I'm taking the days off. I'm going to make a hotel reservation today. I'm going to get a room with 2 twin beds. $113 per night. Right in Tazwell. If someone wants to double up with me, that'd work. I have no bad, weird, bizaare, annoying, crybaby, disgusting habits. I would expect the same.

·
Registered
Batmobile
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh he already knows, that's why he didn't ask me directly. 😂

Gonna stay at a place called the dragons den right in town, $68 a night and the guy seems like an awesome guy.

Edit: Owner called me within 5 minutes of my booking letting me know he had space for my trailer, if there's people interested in going down there again he rents the 5 bedroom house out for $250 a night.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
730 Posts
I got the approvals from the wife to come down Friday, ride Saturday, and drive home Sunday.... If anyone wants to split a room Friday and Saturday night I'd be game, if not I'll make a reservation here soon.

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
Oh he already knows, that's why he didn't ask me directly. 😂

Gonna stay at a place called the dragons den right in town, $68 a night and the guy seems like an awesome guy.

Edit: Owner called me within 5 minutes of my booking letting me know he had space for my trailer, if there's people interested in going down there again he rents the 5 bedroom house out for $250 a night.
can we grab the house for 3 nights? Give me the info. It sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
Batmobile
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The owner and his family are staying upstairs that same weekend, I got the only available room unfortunately. He's actually not going to bring his Spyder to make room for my trailer.

There's another airbnb he recommended that is a friend of his, it's under "red roof house" in Tazewell, I didn't look in depth but the lady has great reviews. If we end up making this trip in the future he said he's had 10 bikes in the driveway.

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
I booked at the Old Jail. Room is confirmed. It looks kind of cool. Owner says others are looking to book also. I booked a room with 2 twin beds and private bath @ $113 a night. I'm open to a room mate if someone wanted to split the cost but remember:
If someone wants to double up with me, that'd work. I have no bad, weird, bizarre, annoying, crybaby, disgusting habits. I would expect the same.
I'm a fairly nice guy but if you turn out to be / do any of the above I will kill you in your sleep.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
730 Posts
I booked at the Old Jail. Waiting for confirmation. It looks kind of cool. Owner says others are looking to book also. I booked a room with 2 twin beds and private bath @ $113 a night. I'm open to a room mate if someone wanted to split the cost but remember:

I'm a fairly nice guy but if you turn out to be / do any of the above I will kill you in your sleep.
I'm only staying Friday and Saturday night. I'd be happy to split a room with you for those two nights. The only remotely weird thing is I use a CPAP machine while I sleep, but that prevents me from snoring. It's not loud. Are you
cool with all that?

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
I'm only staying Friday and Saturday night. I'd be happy to split a room with you for those two nights. The only remotely weird thing is I use a CPAP machine while I sleep, but that prevents me from snoring. It's not loud. Are you
cool with all that?
Totally cool. 2 nights would be fine. I don't anticipate any issues but I asked the owner if it's ok to double up.

·
Registered
Batmobile
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I too hope you have a great turnout for this get together. Wish I could join in for this one. So many good rides in the area. However, in looking over the included map I see a glaring omission. That being the run between Independence and Damascus, VA. on US58. Without question one of the greatest romps on the east coast. You all should make the effort to do that one.

And Brent, what's up with your signature. I'm mildly insulted.
I believe the southern leg of that outer loop is Rt 58, though they cut out the part that heads into Galax, I'm going to take a good look at the maps this weekend on my computer and maybe sketch out a few routes. I'd love to hit the outer loop outside of doing Rt 16, I figure with a nice good day we could easily cover 350 miles or more depending on if we have any more takers or not, and how everyone feels.

I love when a plan comes together and this is going to be a great time. 3 confirmed, and 2 tentative isn't bad for short notice like this.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts