Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was up at Rider's hill getting some new Pilot Power 3's on the FZ when I saw EBR had a van up there and a bike labeled test rides. Saw the EBR guy and said hey, like the bikes. I also said like what Erik did back in the day with the Buell CR1125, etc. I said I like the old Buell and the new one looks sweet as well. He gets all pissy that I mentioned the world Buell and the CR11205r and says "That's A Harley product" with a stick up his arse. Now this is their factory rep. He didn't say, "Hey come ride the New EBR and see what we are all about". Just butt-hurtedly repeated that they were not Harley and dissed me off.

Common man, is that you plan to win over the American consumer? I could have picked up an 1190sx that day. I hope your bikes are sold out, cuz you acted like it, but there are 10 Buells up at riders hill past the expiration dates with markdowns all across the price range. My Yamaha dealer threw the keys to the FZ to me as said "take a ride and let me know what you think". I bought it that day, paid sticker. I know HD screwed you over, but welcome to America. Quit bitchin and get to work.

Well, Buell can keep their cool club and their bikes to themselves.

Rant off...

PS here are the new Pilot Power 3's on the FZ. Love them. Good service from Rider's Hill Tire shop that day:

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I went into an Albany shop looking for the FZ-09 right after they came out in the USA, I made 'a critical error' and called it an MT-09 (had been reading the articles in Bike and so on). Got 'the look' from the sales guy who said, "I don't know what an MT-09 is but if you mean an FZ-09..." Yeah, yeah. Didn't get mine there! Funny thing is, they have since lost their Yamaha franchise.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I went into an Albany shop looking for the FZ-09 right after they came out in the USA, I made 'a critical error' and called it an MT-09 (had been reading the articles in Bike and so on). Got 'the look' from the sales guy who said, "I don't know what an MT-09 is but if you mean an FZ-09..." Yeah, yeah. Didn't get mine there! Funny thing is, they have since lost their Yamaha franchise.
Right, funny how someone on the front lines can undo all the work of a major manufacturer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Was up at Rider's hill getting some new Pilot Power 3's on the FZ when I saw EBR had a van up there and a bike labeled test rides. Saw the EBR guy and said hey, like the bikes. I also said like what Erik did back in the day with the Buell CR1125, etc. I said I like the old Buell and the new one looks sweet as well. He gets all pissy that I mentioned the world Buell and the CR11205r and says "That's A Harley product" with a stick up his arse. Now this is their factory rep. He didn't say, "Hey come ride the New EBR and see what we are all about". Just butt-hurtedly repeated that they were not Harley and dissed me off.

Common man, is that you plan to win over the American consumer? I could have picked up an 1190sx that day. I hope your bikes are sold out, cuz you acted like it, but there are 10 Buells up at riders hill past the expiration dates with markdowns all across the price range. My Yamaha dealer threw the keys to the FZ to me as said "take a ride and let me know what you think". I bought it that day, paid sticker. I know HD screwed you over, but welcome to America. Quit bitchin and get to work.

Well, Buell can keep their cool club and their bikes to themselves.

Rant off...

I haven't been to Rider's Hill in a few years. But, they had one of the most comprehensive tire shops I've ever seen.
I have PR3s on my FZ and they're doing great. That makes three bikes we have with Michelins right now. No complaints!
Sorry you had such a bad experience with the Buell guy. Having met the completely likeable Mr. Buell at a T.W.O. demo event, it doesn't sound like the fellow you encountered will be representing the brand very long once word gets back. He missed an opportunity and put off a potential customer at the same time.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Glad to hear to favorable impressions of the PP3's. I got em on the RC51. Have only ridden about 150 miles on them so far tho. And don't let one re re throw a wet blanket over an entire brand. Maybe his wife is screwing a guy with a harley and he is sensitive about it LMAO!!!

Reactions: bigweb2001

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LoL, good point! That looked like it might be the case :la:

Glad to hear to favorable impressions of the PP3's. I got em on the RC51. Have only ridden about 150 miles on them so far tho. And don't let one re re throw a wet blanket over an entire brand. Maybe his wife is screwing a guy with a harley and he is sensitive about it LMAO!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know HD screwed you over, but welcome to America. Quit bitchin and get to work
In addition to my beloved new FZ09, I've also been a Buell owner for 6 years. I have taken a keen interest in Erik Buell, and his amazing work ethic, and sheer resilience in the face of adversity. He knew HD screwed him over, but he didn't bitch and complain - he dusted himself off, and created a range of outstanding American sportbikes. When HD killed the Buell brand, a lot of Buell owners took it personally and sent messages of regret to Erik. I was one of them, and was quite astounded to receive a personal e-mail reply from him! Bigweb2001 you have every right to be pissed off at the way you were treated. Totally unacceptable. And you've probably moved on and couldn't really give a crap about it any more! But I would suggest you drop an e-mail to Erik Buell with details of your experience. The effort he has put into forming a cutting edge American sportbike company, is monumental - only to have his reputation damaged by some a-hole rep who certainly isn't representative of the product.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've met BigWeb before and I know he's a nice guy...but why or how did we turn into such a sensitive society? Does everybody HAVE TO kiss each others ass when having a conversation? Is "politically correct" a state law now? So what if the Buell Rep was an a-hole? Is that a good reason for never buying a Buell, and for bashing Buells all over the Internet?

Sorry BigWeb...but just because the Rep was fiercely "brand loyal" and a bit of a butthead, doesn't justify the crucifixion of an entire motorcycle brand.
Back in my day when men were men....we would have looked at that Rep and told him to his face he is an a-hole and walked away. Nowadays when our precious little feelings get hurt...we run home and get revenge on the Internet. What the hell kind of a society have we turned into?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I wonder how much of an effect last season's WSBK effort had on EBR sales. WSBK was a good move for them in terms of development but far too many televised engine failures can't have been good for PR.

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Was up at Rider's hill getting some new Pilot Power 3's on the FZ when I saw EBR had a van up there and a bike labeled test rides. Saw the EBR guy and said hey, like the bikes. I also said like what Erik did back in the day with the Buell CR1125, etc. I said I like the old Buell and the new one looks sweet as well. He gets all pissy that I mentioned the world Buell and the CR11205r and says "That's A Harley product" with a stick up his arse.
Funny how that "Harley product" provided a large portion of the R&D and tooling required get EBR where they are today. I'm NOT a fan of HD products, but I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. For all we know, HD's decision may have actually helped Erik in the long run...

I wonder how much of an effect last season's WSBK effort had on EBR sales. WSBK was a good move for them in terms of development but far too many televised engine failures can't have been good for PR.
I haven't been following WSBK this year...what happened (Cliffs Notes)?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I haven't been following WSBK this year...what happened (Cliffs Notes)?
2014 was their first year in WSBK and they had many DNF's due to engine failures. They never were competitive even when they lasted for the race. They had guys like Larry Pegram last year, so not exactly lightweights in Pro racing but they were consistently being lapped by the top WSBK guys. This year they've sign Nicola Canepa (alongside Pegram), a seasoned World Pro, so hopefully that will give them a boost and accelerate their development.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
"The Worm" scored 2 points @ Phillip Island.

And it was Aaron Yates and Geoff May, a couple of Georgia boys that raced for Team Hero last year.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I've met BigWeb before and I know he's a nice guy...but why or how did we turn into such a sensitive society? Does everybody HAVE TO kiss each others ass when having a conversation? Is "politically correct" a state law now? So what if the Buell Rep was an a-hole? Is that a good reason for never buying a Buell, and for bashing Buells all over the Internet?

Sorry BigWeb...but just because the Rep was fiercely "brand loyal" and a bit of a butthead, doesn't justify the crucifixion of an entire motorcycle brand.
Back in my day when men were men....we would have looked at that Rep and told him to his face he is an a-hole and walked away. Nowadays when our precious little feelings get hurt...we run home and get revenge on the Internet. What the hell kind of a society have we turned into?
In a different space (not auto related) clients that i work with spend millions on retail employee training and their ROI is pretty low. It's still a must spend because these people represent their brand and while you would think if a consumer really wants your product they wouldn't let some idiot salesman convince them otherwise - it happens more times than the other way around. One bad retail experience can yield a consumer shunning that brand and telling a lot of others about why. It has very big repercussions.

I'm sure in bike sales it's no different - EBR has a limited dealer network - so if you have one "dick" salesman - the potential hit EBR takes on their sales has to be significantly higher than say Yamaha where if you have a bad dealership experience, there is likely another within a reasonable distance to try to work out a better relationship on a sale (this situation happened to me and i was fortunate enough to buy at a different dealership - but it was a big reason why i went with yamaha over kawi, given both kawi dealers around me i didnt like at all).

You could argue Ducati is the same way - i've talked to a lot of ducati salesreps that were complete ass-hats, but the difference between a Ducati and an EBR is you probably have WAY more people just wanting to buy a Ducati to own a Ducati - i doubt there's that same dynamic with EBR which further hurts them (i.e. there are less people willing to look beyond the dick sales man to just buy the bike and get out of there).

Any retail strategy should focus on customer service regardless of what the customer thinks - they are right to think that way - failure to abide by that - generates a lot of bad press not only for the dealership but also for the brand (whether it is just or not - it doesn't matter - this is how it is).

Just my 2 cents - consumerism is complicated and often times ridiculous but how companies handle this is often the determinant of who makes it and who doesn't. If i were that dealer or furthermore EBR - I would get rid of that guy.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Just my 2 cents - consumerism is complicated and often times ridiculous but how companies handle this is often the determinant of who makes it and who doesn't. If i were that dealer or furthermore EBR - I would get rid of that guy.
Well said Beck. I don't feel the need to engage an asshat representative, it's easier to walk away and the attitude BigWeb reported is an example of an organization that doesn't have the depth of understanding as to what it takes to succeed in a fickle marketplace and does what it takes to put the right people on the job. Why would I care to call out an impolite product rep to his face when he has already shown his lack of respect for customers?

All the engineering expertise in the world can't overcome a jackass rep.

I once interviewed the CEO of the Ritz Carlton chain in America and he illustrated the importance of "point of contact" in the success of any business with the pronouncement that the Doorman at every Ritz was one of the top three highest paid employees at each location. The reason for that is obvious.

·
Registered
654 Posts
too late now, but it would have been really funny to point out to the rep with a stick up his but that the 1125 was a rotax engine and its success pointed out that buells former problem on the track was the Harley Davidson engine, which is exactly why willy g pulled the plug on eriks company.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts