Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Early Mods and Observations, FZ 07

Going to use white Marvic magnesium wheel from FZ 09 I sold last week.

It has 45 instead of 43 tooth sprocket, so I added a link to the chain.

Still want to run stock for this weekend video, so I found out the sprocket and carrier

from a stock FZ 09 wheel will fit, so put it on, for now.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Because of downward angle of swing arm, inserts loose fit inside causes them to keep falling out when trying to put in rear axle.

Hammered the paper thin steel swing arm on on side of the slot to make fit tighter so they stay put.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had 35 mm sag that I wanted to make 30 mm until I put on Ohlins front end in a week or 2.

Made some 5 mm inserts, for now.

Measured springs and spacers whie I had it apart.

Info on pictures.

Race Tec has the 340 mm springs that would fit, though Stoltec's source could get them $ 20 or 30 cheaper.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rear shock 12 1/4 inch from eye to eye.

Mounted upside down with clevis at top of shock ( facing downward ) and

eye type mount on upper mount ( bottom of shock )

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good info, looking forward to see your suspension mods. Just like the 09, the main thing keeping it from greatness (for agressive riders) is it's suspension. Awesome, scrappy little engine. I just read the other day about the steel swingarm, think you might replace that too, maybe a complete conversion from an R6 (swingarm, shock, wheel)?

If I buy one I'd like to see what it would take to get it down to KTM Duke 690 weight (350lbs. wet). Exhaust-10lbs, Li battery-5-7lbs, aluminum fatbars-2-3lbs, passenger pegs and lic. plate holder delete-5-6lbs, wheels-5 plus pounds each, supersport front end, swingarm, axles? Maybe even cut down the subframe and put a café racer looking solo seat/tail on it. And led turn signals might save a pound or two. Is the subframe welded on?

Anyways.... I think it would be easy to take 20lbs off it. I'd also like to know what it looks like under the plastic gas tank covers. If you take those off for any reason, I'd love to see some naked pics of the 07. I'm sure it'll turn out great like your 09's did, and be a helluva backroad scrapper when she's done. Keep up all the pics and technical info, hoping to see some action video soon too.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Good info, looking forward to see your suspension mods. Just like the 09, the main thing keeping it from greatness (for agressive riders) is it's suspension. Awesome, scrappy little engine. I just read the other day about the steel swingarm, think you might replace that too, maybe a complete conversion from an R6 (swingarm, shock, wheel)?

If I buy one I'd like to see what it would take to get it down to KTM Duke 690 weight (350lbs. wet). Exhaust-10lbs, Li battery-5-7lbs, aluminum fatbars-2-3lbs, passenger pegs and lic. plate holder delete-5-6lbs, wheels-5 plus pounds each, supersport front end, swingarm, axles? Maybe even cut down the subframe and put a café racer looking solo seat/tail on it. And led turn signals might save a pound or two. Is the subframe welded on?

Anyways.... I think it would be easy to take 20lbs off it. I'd also like to know what it looks like under the plastic gas tank covers. If you take those off for any reason, I'd love to see some naked pics of the 07. I'm sure it'll turn out great like your 09's did, and be a helluva backroad scrapper when she's done. Keep up all the pics and technical info, hoping to see some action video soon too.
The FZ07 has standard 7/8ths handlebars....and no offense...I LOVE light bikes...but getting it down to 350 pounds would cost more than a brand new FZ-07. A $16,000.00....... 75 hp bike isn't all that appealing.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The swing arm, though steel, is very thin, and I don't see much if any weight to be saved, there.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good info, looking forward to see your suspension mods. Just like the 09, the main thing keeping it from greatness (for agressive riders) is it's suspension. Awesome, scrappy little engine.

I just read the other day about the steel swingarm, think you might replace that too, maybe a complete conversion from an R6 (swingarm, shock, wheel)?

Probably not.

If I buy one I'd like to see what it would take to get it down to KTM Duke 690 weight (350lbs. wet).

360 to 370 is doable

Exhaust-10lbs, Akra TI should be in by the end of the week

Li battery-5-7lbs, already installed

aluminum fatbars-2-3lbs,

passenger pegs and lic. plate holder delete-5-6lbs,

wheels-5 plus pounds each, In the works

supersport front end, swingarm, axles? Duc 1098 S Ohlins may weigh a bit more

Maybe even cut down the subframe and put a café racer looking solo seat/tail on it. A possibility, later on.

And led turn signals might save a pound or two. Sent in tail light for use as a guide to build integrated turn signal tail light

Is the subframe welded on? I don't remember, but will look

Anyways.... I think it would be easy to take 20lbs off it. I'd also like to know what it looks like under the plastic gas tank covers.

Will, eventually to see if I can build an aluminum fuel cell like my Basa drag bike

If you take those off for any reason, I'd love to see some naked pics of the 07.

I'm sure it'll turn out great like your 09's did, and be a helluva back road scrapper when she's done.

Keep up all the pics and technical info, hoping to see some action video soon too.
Hope to have action video, tomorrow , along with more pics.

Removed foot peg feelers as they were a nuisance and have half length, for now.

If I can get some good leaned over pictures, I'll have a better idea of ground clearance.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the subframe welded on?

Looks like is is bolted on, but in such a way as to be a key mounting point for the shock and rear motor mount.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a minor comment.

Short wheelbase makes bike one of few that I can close the tailgate of my F 150.

The short nub of plastic below the lic plate was hitting the top of the gate.

It also got in the way when using a rear stand, so I cut it off ( about 2 inches, or so )

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can't wait to see the big mods start, 370lbs wet would be awesome. Interesting that the subrame is bolted on. Nice vid of you chasing the SV 1000 up the mountain, loved hearing the FZ engine getting a workout. Never heard you hit the rev limiter once, I guess it must be fairly easy to tell when you're getting close, without seeing the tach.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was only using 2nd and 3rd gear, with 3rd having plenty of mph left over for this part of The Hill.

Have 200 miles on the bike, so trying to stay off the rev limiter.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The FZ07 has standard 7/8ths handlebars....and no offense...I LOVE light bikes...but getting it down to 350 pounds would cost more than a brand new FZ-07. A $16,000.00....... 75 hp bike isn't all that appealing.
I can have fun on anything with motor, and in the real world 75hp is all you need. I'm guessing Chris would agree, looks like he had a blast chasing a much more powerful bike up the mountain. In America it's all about bigger is better, I don't get it. I usually have much more fun riding the crap out of a smaller bike than riding a powerful bike with more throttle restraint. "Lighter is Righter", and when it's light you don't need nearly as much power.

If you haven't ridden the crap out of a smaller bike, or smoked a high dollar sport bike on an "under achiever", low power bike you'll never know how much fun it can be.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I was only using 2nd and 3rd gear, with 3rd having plenty of mph left over for this part of The Hill.

Have 200 miles on the bike, so trying to stay off the rev limiter.
I'm surprised that was only 2nd and 3rd, very torquey and flexible powerband.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Akra just came in, today from the UK. ( YamaBits )

Fairly quick shipping.

Ordered Friday June 27, Shipped Monday June 30, here July 7.

Pics, later.

Box was a bit tired, but pipe ok.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The official weigh in.

Akra <

OEM :

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Note new location of oil drain on FZ 07 plug after so many FZ 09 have broken pans.

Reactions: v2Bob and ktk_ace

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pipe mounted:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OEM Pipes:

Reactions: MoFZio