Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This motorcycle received a last-minute reprieve from a trip to the dumpster...

My friend operates a commercial refuse hauling company here in north Georgia. One of his most recent contracts included demolition and removal of a small building. One of his employees took notice of an 'old motorcycle' inside and moved it out of the way of the building demolition. The motorcycle's owner told them to go ahead and throw the Honda in the dumpster along with the construction debris. What now?

My friend asked if he could haul the motorcycle separately at his own expense and decide its fate later, and the owner agreed. He asked the owner for a bill of sale, which is sufficient to register an older vehicle here, but the owner declined. However, the owner produced the motorcycle's valid Georgia title, signed the release, and handed it over. When we saw each other on the lot today, he asked me to enter his shop and see the Honda.

The surface dirt and corrosion is evident, but my first comment was the Honda shows no sign of impact damage. The fuel tank interior is rusted and the kick starter won't move among the Honda's many issues. The registration expired in 1989. He is deciding whether to sell as is or restore the Honda, but I couldn't answer his question "what do you think it's worth?"

However, I agreed to post photos and seek some input from more knowledgeable people on a couple motorcycle forums.

I'll stop here for now, but will appreciate your thoughts and observations.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Honda made a huge number of those bikes so they really are not rare, and in my opinion that bike in the condition it is in is not worth putting any money into. Its in very sad shape and just cleaning up all the rust and decay is a big job....and with the motor being seized, myself I wouldnt bother with it. If your determined to give it a shot you may want to try and free up the motor first...if it cant be freed up I would not go any further.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Its a money pit for sure, it looks like every square inch of it is corroded. At a minimum, it will have to be completely disassembled, all fluids drained and every fastener replaced, every consumable replaced (tires, tubes, chain, brakes, brake lines, throttle, clutch and speedo cable) every system rebuilt or overhauled including engine, carbs, suspension, bearings and brake calipers. How many thousands of dollars and countless man hours would it take? Its not like its a classic muscle car barn find that could be worth many 10's of thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yep I agree there’s some fanatics you might find some interest in this over at SOHC/4 Owners Club Forums - Index but I doubt it. With all that corrosion only a straight frame looks to be potentially useful. Heres my old man and my 77 Cb750.

Reactions: redeye

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
One of my Tennessee buds bought this one new back in the day.
This was the first time I had ever seen it and that was right after its' third fifteen year restoration.
Yup, he works on it for six months every fifteen years.
I'll send him your pictures but I'm guessin you ain't got much there!
Motard Madness Sept 2015 091.JPG
Motard Madness Sept 2015 092.JPG
Motard Madness Sept 2015 090.JPG

·
Registered
462 Posts
Too bad..in its day it was a cool bike There are still plenty of un-restored examples on the road that are in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep I agree there’s some fanatics you might find some interest in this over at SOHC/4 Owners Club Forums - Index but I doubt it. With all that corrosion only a straight frame looks to be potentially useful. Heres my old man and my 77 Cb750.
Good information. Thank you. Love the photo!

I'll send him your pictures but I'm guessin you ain't got much there!
Thank you, Shamrock. He sent a couple additional outdoor photos after some washing later in the day.

How many thousands of dollars and countless man hours would it take? Its not like its a classic muscle car barn find that could be worth many 10's of thousands of dollars.
Agreed, cost & time to value ratio is a problem. Pick-up trucks are the most common restoration projects in his shop, but they bring a decent return.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
One of those SOB's tried to kill me several times. Came far too close once.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
383 Posts
I'll take the truck! In the end it's worth what someone will pay for it. Not turning over is always an issue but I would not run off and junk it..I know when I was at a technical college we took projects like that on as it's a great learning project.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You know I was gonna say that but figured they’d disintegrate if you tried to remove them! Spray some lube at the points where the side covers tabs go into the rubber grommets on the frame. the rubber will be rock hard, and you break the covers trying to remove them. Theres also a lot more reproduction side covers now, so not as hard to come by as they were 15 years ago.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
511 Posts
As said - it isn't worth restoring unless that is really 'your thing' and you've got the time and money to burn. However it does have value - if you post it on a honda forum, facebook, craigslist, etc someone will almost certainly buy it - even if it is only for parts or to get a 'clean title' frame. If it were me I'd rather give it away to someone that was going to part it out then see it go to the scrap yard.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the end it's worth what someone will pay for it. Not turning over is always an issue but I would not run off and junk it..
We caught up again today to discuss the Honda. He received a $1,200 as-is offer, which I would probably have accepted.

If your determined to give it a shot you may want to try and free up the motor first...if it cant be freed up I would not go any further.
Looks like this is his direction. He wants to get the Honda running, but understands returning it to stock will be very expensive, so perhaps a cafe racer conversion instead. He has the kick starter moving, but the engine hasn't yet turned a full revolution. He hasn't opened it up yet, so that's next.

Thank you to all. Your thoughts and comments were very helpful!

·
Registered
267 Posts
We caught up again today to discuss the Honda. He received a $1,200 as-is offer, which I would probably have accepted.

Looks like this is his direction. He wants to get the Honda running, but understands returning it to stock will be very expensive, so perhaps a cafe racer conversion instead. He has the kick starter moving, but the engine hasn't yet turned a full revolution. He hasn't opened it up yet, so that's next.

Thank you to all. Your thoughts and comments were very helpful!
pour some atf into each cylinder through the spark plug holes and give it a day. My guess with all the exterior corrosion is that whatever cylinder had open valves at the time is now full of corrosion, on the cylinder walls. ATF is a good penetration oil will help free up stuff

·
Vendor
1,239 Posts
a 1971 cb 750 was my first street bike!!

when they came out in 69 they were king of the road and one of the bikes that almost put Harley out of business. Prior to the 1969 750 Japanese were only making smaller displacement bikes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts