Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who rides with them? I just tried it for the 1st time yesterday...I really liked it! I sometimes have loud noise sensitivity, and get earaches after a ride...or during a ride, and the ear plugs made it a much more pleasurable experience. I could still hear everything important...the bike even sounded better. Ear plugs for life now

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
For the last 10 years, I have been using custom ear mold, sports monitors from EAR, Inc. I listen to music and run them through my Sena SMH-10 headset. They cut down the wind and road noise and I use everything wireless, phone, intercom, and music.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I too have been wearing custom molded plugs for 12 years. I simply cannot imagine riding without them....especially on a sport bike or a naked bike.

Reactions: xHD and MasonMoto#1

·
Registered
294 Posts
Absolutely! Can't go faster than 35 without wanting my earplugs (if no helmet...only local in-town travel). I've met too many deaf "Harley guys" that convinced me ear plugs is a necessity.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i buy bulk shipments (500 plugs or so) of disposable ones - usually like $30 a clip.

They are a must have - mine are 32db i think - i can still hear music via my smh10r and car horns/noises.

Being a musician on the side - i have to wear plugs whenever i can as my hearing is shot.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
To me ear plugs are part of ATGATT. I like the kind without cords, I get the disposable but use them several times until they get nasty. The pairs are in packets, besides the pair I wear at the start of a ride I have extras in my riding suit pockets, tank bag, etc. Even with zero bike noise, a well made and fitted helmet produces enough wind noise at a surprisingly low speed, something like 35mph to cause hearing damage.

Howard Leight MAX1 Earplugs Uncorded NRR33 Box/200 Count - Amazon.com

·
Registered
238 Posts
Always. Didn't always in the past, and that's likely why I have some slight hearing loss in my left ear so if you value your hearing you should wear them. I getthe orange disposable ones in bulk from Harbor Freight and cut about 3/8" off so they don't get jostled out of position when putting my helmet on. I can still hear my Sena Communicator well enough up to 80 when riding. My friend went with custom-molded earplugs which work better, but the foam ones work fine for me, and I'm cheap!

Reactions: Yoyodyne

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have not been wearing ear plugs on the street. I thought I remembered a class i took YEARS age recommending against it for safety concerns.
COOL, I have a bulk dispenser in my shop. I will give it a try this weekend, on my next experimental cruise.
My hearing is already bad, + tinnitus in both ears. I suspect from working in my dads shop as a kid w/o hearing protection.

This is what I will try first

Orange Food Cuisine

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Foam plugs, I get them from for the bike and the gun range. However, not many people know that you have to pull your ear up when installing to get it in there right. I pull my ear up and twist them in deep enough that I can still pinch them out. I like foam because the others tend to get loose when putting on my helmet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Big Ear custom set for me that I had made about 7 years ago, before that I was using the foam - no comparison after getting them form fitted.

Track and street they are a must if you want your hearing later on in life, still go without them when riding enduro though.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
sometimes, does reduce fatigue!
i would say every time - unless you're riding under 25mph for the whole ride. I used to not wear them and my ears would be screaming after stopping for gas - i couldn't believe the drain it as on your brain and body.

I thought it was just my helmet but i think event he quietest helmets will produce ear damaging noise levels - particularly on a naked bike with no wind screen.

For those who say you can't hear anything or it's unsafe to wear plugs - wind noise is so high that its actually difficult to hear traffic at that extreme decibel rating anyway. Wearing plugs isolates wind noise to allow you to hear other noises like car horns - seems counter intuitive but it's not.

Lastly - for those thinking about wearing foam plugs - i used to just shove them in my ear. They would always fall out and it was annoying halfway through a ride to pull after and adjust them.

One of my riding buddies showed me a trick where you rub them back and forth in the palms of your hands like you would a stick making a fire, then twist them to make them smaller, pull up on the top of your ear with one hand as you set the plug with your other. This opens your ear canal and the rolling allows the plug to easily slide in then expand in your ear.

After following this method they rarely come out. Now if i could just find a way to make some money of all the ear cheese that finds its way on to them :)

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I just roll them between thumb and finger and put them in without an ear pull, they are in plenty deep. Not all ear plugs or ears are the same. I use them for mowing grass, in the shop with power tools, etc.

I used to drive cars without AC, in hot weather I'd put ear plugs in, roll down the window, turn up the radio lol. Not around town, on the interstate etc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I NEVER wear anything in my ears! The helmet for me is enough no matter what I ride. The reason for this is about 3 years ago as I was approaching a blind intersection at around 50mph I heard something that was not normal. I couldn't make it out, but reacted with an off throttle hand and an application of brakes. The sound I heard was an ambulance! With the exhaust roaring around 7,000rpms on my R1 I barely could hear it coming. Had I been wearing ear plugs, noise cancelling head phones, or any music in my ears I would have hit that thing square in the side! And who's fault would that have been "IF" I survived???? Mine......... To me the sound of the engine is the best music I can listen to when I'm riding. My Shoei helmet suppresses more noise than most so I'm OK I believe.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I went to an audiologist in Lake Geneva and was fitted with custom concert/musician earplugs. About $150. They kill all the high and low ear damaging sounds but lets normal music/conversation through. They are great if your helmet is fitted with a sound system. It's like riding in a Lexus.

https://www.westone.com/defendear/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=10&Itemid=115
How long have you had those? I've debated about dropping the money but i'm unsure on their durability.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use the orange 3M ones - EVERY time I ride and now I can't enjoy the ride without them. Sounds like my bike is gonna explode and I'm in a windstorm - very distracting...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts