Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Potential 2017 FZ09 rider here. I have a question, but you need my background. I have read through the threads, but no one has talked about existing tinnitus in addition to ear plugs and aftermarket exhausts.

I rode a 2015 CBR500r as my first bike and had never heard about people using ear plugs.

I bought a used 2007 CBR600rr. It came with a Two Brothers exhaust which made my ears ring after 1 minute of riding. It was obnoxious. I got custom molded ear plugs but at 6000rpm there is this exhaust note that still makes them buzz. I went back to a stock exhaust and it STILL buzzes at 6000rpm. I had to switch to foam plugs. They work, but I'd like to use my custom molded plugs.

I now realized I have tinnitus from my metal band days. I'm 32 and so badly regret not protecting my hearing.

I got to test ride a 2014 FZ09 this morning and loved it. I even wore my custom molded ear plugs and they worked great. I was super happy and sold on the bike. HOWEVER, I am worried that if I buy an exhaust for the FZ09 it will annoy my ears. To save a little money I'm thinking about the M4 - and I like the way it sounds.

So, now to my question - who here has tinnitus that is aggravated by louder exhausts (hopefully sportbikes), and does an aftermarket FZ09 exhaust annoy it?

I know that the stars probably have to align for someone to have my exact issue, but I'm wondering if anyone else is out there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put an akrapovic full titanium system on my 2017 FZ09. With the baffle in I have 0 issues. I took the baffle out (huge pain in the ass to do) and I thought I was going to go deaf. It sounded amazing, but holy **** does it hurt your ears. I suffer from minor tinnitus and after an hour of riding, my ears were ringing for the entire day. I modified the baffle a bit so that it's a little louder and I have 0 issues now. I think the M4 is pretty loud so it may give you some issues if you're not wearing plugs. With plugs you should have no problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If your concern is for best hearing protection, foam ear plugs will provide that. I use nothing but foam plugs with an NRR of 33+ and have had no issues. My 07 CBR600RR has an Akra slip-on and my FZ-09 has a Akra carbon, both without the baffle. If you are really concerned, I would say run with the baffle and ear plugs. Not sure what your custom molded plugs rate at, but if the foam plugs performed better, then you should use them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foam plugs perform the best on my CBR, but with my helmet on I cannot hear anyone talk to me. Not that I really ride with people to talk to.

I would prefer to use my custom molds since they fit my ear so nicely. Foam plugs really irritate my ears. In the summer I put in and take them out about 3 times a day, and my ear canal feels inflamed. With my custom molds I can't even feel they are there. So I wasn't sure if other members on the forum had an exhaust + non-foam plugs.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I use custom ear plugs as well, with a valve in them so i can hear speech when stopped. And I'm a metal head, too.
I like them so much i wear hem to gigs, too.
I have a carbon akra, baffle out, but i think any aftermarket with a baffle should be OK. They all seem to have a deeper tone which is better for my ears, and if its too much, stick the baffle in to drop the dB.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Get an Akra and use the baffle. The exhaust still sounds great on the gas but it quiets down under cruise modes and you will have no issues. I have permanent tinnitus from years of loud music, shooting and 30 years of motorcycles and I love the Akra carbon on my FZ-09.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Their are some foam plugs that put less pressure on your ears that are 30-33 db rated. Much better for long days, or trips. I love the rumble of aftermarket exhausts, but probbably wont have one on a bike that does longer distances, due to the drone.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I forgot to mention my intentions with the bike. I have 1.5 hours to work in the morning, and 1.5 back. On weekends I ride 3 hours to the cottage, and 3 hours back. An exhaust isn't my top priority, but I'm looking at buying new, and this is the only time I can really get a deal on an exhaust.

I had thought about just staying stock since my day and weekend trips are longer than most people's.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I never ride without earplugs, I use foam Moldex 6800's, they work fine. My tinitus hasn't changed and I don't get adverse effects with or without a loudish exhaust.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Foam plugs perform the best on my CBR, but with my helmet on I cannot hear anyone talk to me. Not that I really ride with people to talk to.

I would prefer to use my custom molds since they fit my ear so nicely. Foam plugs really irritate my ears. In the summer I put in and take them out about 3 times a day, and my ear canal feels inflamed. With my custom molds I can't even feel they are there. So I wasn't sure if other members on the forum had an exhaust + non-foam plugs.
I bought a set of radians. When I put my helmet on my right if always " loosens" the way my helmet fits right it sort of dislodeges my plugs and they are no longer giving adequate protection.
So I use them at work now for riding the mower and trimming.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny you mention it dislodges - my custom molded ones do the same thing. I have a Shoei RF1200 and it did that, so I took out the ear pad (there's a Sena speaker there now) and it doesn't dislodge any more. The padding really does nothing at all anyways - the ear piece is just for show, but it helped when I removed it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I wear earplugs for wind noise,

and after having a motorcycle with a aftermarket exhaust,

earplugs will not help,

especially if the exhaust is made to be loud.....

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Get an Akra and use the baffle. The exhaust still sounds great on the gas but it quiets down under cruise modes and you will have no issues. I have permanent tinnitus from years of loud music, shooting and 30 years of motorcycles and I love the Akra carbon on my FZ-09.
Good advice. I have an Akra Carbon with baffle installed...and it sounds great, and I always ride with earplugs.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Funny you mention it dislodges - my custom molded ones do the same thing. I have a Shoei RF1200 and it did that, so I took out the ear pad (there's a Sena speaker there now) and it doesn't dislodge any more. The padding really does nothing at all anyways - the ear piece is just for show, but it helped when I removed it.
I have a pioneer dual sport helmet. I will check if it has a removable ear pad.
I am debating trying another company that you boil the plugs and then fit to your ears.
Maybe I can adjust them to work correctly

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me they injected goo into my ears and took the mold, and they work great... until the foam pads in my helmet push back my ears. I can recreate it without putting my helmet on. Taking out the ear pads is the only solution. I don't even miss them - it feels like better airflow too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For me I always wear ear plugs of some sort (and always recommend them), I was just wondering if someone has the FZ09, an aftermarket exhaust, tinnitus, and earplugs with a filter in them - like custom molds or No Noise plugs.

I know it's a perfect storm - but it's an issue of mine. Unfortunately no one I know has an FZ09 with an aftermarket exhaust I can test. Within 30 seconds of riding one I'd know exactly if I shoudl stay stock, or can enjoy some aftermarket goodness.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm gonna give you some "DAD" advice,

if you really have tinnitus,

the first thing I wouldn't do to my motorcycle, is install a aftermarket exhaust.

but if you really do have tinnitus, you really wont notice a aftermarket exhaust, even with earplugs in.

notice, most aftermarket exhausts, if not all of them, are made for racing not to be used on the road, and are made to be loud/somewhat loud.

well not really made to be loud but because most exhausts 'delete' the catalytic converter, the exhaust becomes just a header with a tail pipe.

you can check out the for sale section for a exhaust, often times people take them back off as soon as they put them on, wonder why?......

its not just getting a exhaust, you'll probably end up getting a flash too.....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts