Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I installed the Power Commander 5 as well as the Auto Tune on my bike today. My bike uses a Stoltec Flash Tune, Graves block-off plates, and an Arrow full exhaust. I loaded the Graves Full System with stock air filter map into the PCV to use as a baseline and let the Auto Tune do it's thing. I could only go for a brief shakedown ride, but I wanted to view the Auto Tune Tables to ensure that the map was not out of control. I was stuck in traffic much of the ride, but still got some good data.

The install took me a little longer than planned. After getting my local muffler pals to weld a secondary bung to my exhaust, I pulled the seat, tank, and airbox off. The damn injector connectors are a bitch to get off. Needle nose pliers did the trick after I futzed with them for a while. Also, I have a fuzebox smack dab in the middle of the spot that the PCV is supposed to velcro to in the forward compartment. I plan on making a small metal bracket to go over the Fuzeblock. Also, in all of Dynojets wizdom, the connector to the wideband O2 sensor is huge and connects in the absolute worst spot. There is not enough cable from the O2 sensor to tuck it it higher up, added to the fact that the dual plugs for the O2 Optimizer add to the bulk. It took me some time to find the best solution to prevent the bulk from impeding my rear brake lever. I mounted the optimizer nowhere near where the instructions told me to mount it. My honeycomb frame would not supply a firm mount. I double-sided taped the box under the upper subframe rail onto the outside plastic cargo tray. I hope that it is waterproof.

Getting to the ride. The frigging thing is PHAT. Serious smooth grunt. I pulled a couple of turns in fourth to see how it would do, and it was smooth and strong. Also, I did a bunch of throttle transitions to see how much smoother it was since it is no longer leaned out to the max. I loved the on off transitions now. I always ride in A mode, so this was a big benefit for me. Insert big grin here.

Pictures of parts locations:

Pipe weld on bung supplied part:

O2 connectors:

Injector wiring:

O2 Optimizer:

Auto Tune Box:

PCV Temporary Location:

Power Commander Software:

Base Map:

Auto Tune Levels:

Adjusted Map:

Auto Tune back to Zero Values:

Video will go here as soon as it is rendered:

In conclusion, was it worth all of the money? Well, I have been running Power Commanders on many of my bikes for years. I always appreciate a bike that does not run lean. My fuel economy suffers, but that does not matter to me at all. I like smooth, meaty power, and this package delivers. Now I can have a bike that runs smoothly in all conditions, which I have not had the luxury of having before. Tennessee has major temperature swings, and this is just what the doctor ordered. For many of you this may be too extreme, but this is my hobby and passion, so I will thor my hard earned money at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Very nice. So you ordered the stock o2 eliminator as well, you will try that soon too? (I will as well, but just confirming that you will also)

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Very nice write up Doug, complete with some great pictures. I guess we know now why we keep you around on the forum.. :cool:

Seriously, nice job!

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Very nice,

I also had the same problem with the AutoTune boxes near the brake pedal. I did however manage to hide it pretty well. I can get some pics for you. I had to thread the thing from inside the frame, but I got it fit.

As for the other boxes (PCV, O2 optimizer & AutoTune module), I found that there is some decent space in the forward tray and just under the bottom of the gas tank.

What afr did you set your AutoTune to? I've been running 13, but one of they Dynojet guys told me to try 13.4 due to the variety of fuels out there.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I have tried my best to get the Ban Hammer, but to no avail. I will keep trying.
You ain't gettin' no ban hammer.........Who would I have to pick on then? I'm not going to try and ban NickJ either, so don't suggest it! :cool:

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice,

I also had the same problem with the AutoTune boxes near the brake pedal. I did however manage to hide it pretty well. I can get some pics for you. I had to thread the thing from inside the frame, but I got it fit.

As for the other boxes (PCV, O2 optimizer & AutoTune module), I found that there is some decent space in the forward tray and just under the bottom of the gas tank.

What afr did you set your AutoTune to? I've been running 13, but one of they Dynojet guys told me to try 13.4 due to the variety of fuels out there.
I have a fuzebox taking up most of the front tray, so I was limited to what I could put there. I am going with 13.5 AFR for the time being. I didn't think about threading it through the frame. I was trying to avoid the swingarm pivot, and didn't give it any thought. Picture would be great.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Np, ill post one tonight.. not sure if you did yet, but the AutoTune connector comes with a OEM style clip that you have to remove. Once I got rid of that clip it made fitting much easier.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You mean the rail with the two spikes that would press into holes. I took them off first thing. Is there anything else that can be removed?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Here are the pics

So what I did was run the cable from the AutoTune sensor from the exhaust up through the center of the bike. The connector sits in a small gap behind the engine case. Then the it connects to the harness which runs alongside the O2 sensor cable up to the front of the forward tray.

I used a zip tie to secure the AutoTune sensor cable in the center of the bike ahead of the rear wheel. What you see here is the O2 sensor + optimizer connector, behind it sits the Autotune harness connector.

Hope that helps, let me know if you can't make sense of this.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You mean the rail with the two spikes that would press into holes. I took them off first thing. Is there anything else that can be removed?
yea, thats all I removed, it allowed the connector to fit in the small gap between the right rear set and the center of the bike.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I put a couple hundred miles on the bike this week after I adjusted my main map with the Auto Tune. The bike flat out hauls ass. My mid-range is so frigging strong. I am pulling away from my wife's R6S more so than my modded CBR954RR. I am glad that I sold that bike now.

I am leaving the bike in A Mode all of the time now. I can throttle the bike anytime and anywhere without any jerkyness or unsettling abrupt behavior. It just winds up super strong.

Here is the good news, I will have the base map sorted out with a few more rides for those of you with an Arrow Exhaust, Stoltec flash, and block-off plates. No dyno necessary, just a PCV from Dynojet. I am leaving the DB Killer in for now. I will gladly share my map.

Sidenote, my forks are raised 5mm, I have lower, less swept back bars and the bike powers up wheelies in 2nd and 3rd like it did with the mushy stock suspension.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Sounds like a great setup. Glad we are seeing some awesome results!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sounds like a great setup. Glad we are seeing some awesome results!
So I'm a little confused ... is it required to weld a second bung into the exhaust? And what is this o2 optimizer, I ordered the PCV+Autotune but I don't think that comes with the kit. Something I need to get?

thanks in advance -

sr

·
Registered
657 Posts
After looking up the DynoJet o2 optimizer, it shows it's for PCIII and PCIII EX ... and it said it's not compatible with my bike when I tried to select from the drop-down menu ... anyone on this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts