Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I was out riding at night when I burned out a headlight bulb. Fortunately, I was not far from a parts store, so I was able to make a quick stop and replace the bulb. That got me to thinking about carrying a spare with me on the bike. Today I was able to figure out a good way to store a bulb as well as a few vinyl gloves to make the swap without getting finger oil on the bulb.

My thought was to get some 2” PCV pipe with Flush caps to make a container. I dug around my garage and found a vinyl container that I cut to length for the project. Also, I found some 1” thick foam to make a buffer. I traced the foam, cut it out and used a tent nail with my torch to burn some center holes to make foam washers. The bulb will now reside under the seat of my bike. It is rudimentary but effective. I hope that this will help someone.

Dimensions (At Least): 2” X 3.5” pipe with 2” caps

1. Container to cut.

1.jpg

2. Ready container after cut and sand.

2.jpg

3. Traced out foam.

3.jpg

4. Finished product with bulb secured and gloves in place on both sides of the bulb ends.

4.jpg

·
Registered
730 Posts
WTF is a "tent" nail???

Nice idea, I'll borrow it...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Tent stake

·
Registered
730 Posts
Gotcha.....

·
Registered
768 Posts
Check Lowe's, Home Depot, etc... in their fastener aisle for "Viewtainers" in various sizes.

One end is fixed (bottom). The other has a slit for dispensing small contents.
I've cut a circle out of an old oil bottle and siliconed it inside that end to seal one off when needed, like keeping water out of one under a bike seat.
viewtainer2.jpg

Reactions: DNFDOUG
1 - 7 of 7 Posts