Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm at 2,684 miles now and in need of a new back tire. I usually go through two backs to one front so I wanna get another stock tire till both are wore out. So I went to Dunlop's web-site and there are no D214 tires listed. I even did a search on their site and "No Results". What's the deal? Where the heck are the D214's?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Might be an Oem tire. Made for the manufacturer

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Called Dunlop today and asked about the D214 and they said it was an European OEM tire only. They did say the Sportmax Roadsmart 2 tire was the comparable tire available stateside. Has anyone had any experience with the Roadsmart 2 tires?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't have experience with any Dunlops since 2001, at that time I didn't like their DOT tires on my SV650. When my original 09 Bridgestones are worn out I'm going to try the Dunlop Q3.

Dunlop Roadsmart 2 Rear Tires - RevZilla the rear size for the 09 is $182, not that I expect Revzilla to be the bottom price for them.

Did you check with PartShark.com? I think it is likely you can get the the D214 there.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have experience with any Dunlops since 2001, at that time I didn't like their DOT tires on my SV650. When my original 09 Bridgestones are worn out I'm going to try the Dunlop Q3.

Dunlop Roadsmart 2 Rear Tires - RevZilla the rear size for the 09 is $182, not that I expect Revzilla to be the bottom price for them.

Did you check with PartShark.com? I think it is likely you can get the the D214 there.
Yeah, I did check them and it was a good price for the D214 at $160. Just want to see what are some alternatives.

The Q3's would be a great choice, they're sticky but the rear will only last about 1,200 miles and I want a little longer lasting tire.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I forget his number but I think Vern is getting well past 2,700 miles from his Q3 rear. You must like your WOTs. ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
The D214 is a pretty bad tire. It was originally developed as OEM equipment for the Europe-only Kawasaki Z800. It eventually found its way onto the FZ-09 and Z1000 as well. You're going to want to get rid of them for something better asap. They have pretty poor life for the lack of grip they get when running normal street pressures. Pretty much any sport touring tire (if you prefer long life) or hypersport tire (if you prefer maximum grip) will do better.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The D214 is a pretty bad tire. It was originally developed as OEM equipment for the Europe-only Kawasaki Z800. It eventually found its way onto the FZ-09 and Z1000 as well. You're going to want to get rid of them for something better asap. They have pretty poor life for the lack of grip they get when running normal street pressures. Pretty much any sport touring tire (if you prefer long life) or hypersport tire (if you prefer maximum grip) will do better.
You know anything about the Sportmax Roadsmart 2?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Plural of WOT, you must like to full throttle and RPM your 09 often. I do too lol. From what you've said in the past I keep my top speed lower though.
Yeah, I haven't babied this D214 and have gotten 2,700 out of it. I'd say that's pretty darn good. I just want something that's got grip but also give some miles. In the past with my gixxers I averaged only about 1,200 miles per rear with the Qualifiers and Battlax's. But now I want some mileage.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Plenty grip in the twisties? From what I have read online people are getting a lot of miles off of them. How many miles you getting?
Haven't had them on long enough to say. But performance wise they do way better than stock and as sport touring tires I expect over 5k out of then minimum

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts