Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I've been browsing this forum whenever I have had a question/concern pop up, and most recently that has been about tires. It seems everywhere I read, most people are claiming anywhere from 3k to as low as 1.1k miles out of their original Dunlops before reaching the wear bars. I also have seen terrible reviews about the characteristics of the tire itself.

I just made it to 5.8k miles on the bike and I have now reached the wear bars. The tire is crowned over pretty good because most of my riding has been upright commuting, but don't get me wrong. Every chance I get, I take the twisties at speed and get a decent lean in. I almost always accelerate hard as well. So I guess I'm just blown away at how little mileage people are getting. Am I all alone with getting nearly 6k miles on my original tire?

I'm not complaining at all, but I guess I'm just more curious as to how many others out there have gotten similar mileage out of the tire. I also have always been impressed by the grip.

-Nate

·
Registered
987 Posts
I just pulled mine off at 3k miles, but that's because I have a track day this Saturday. My 09 now has Q2s on it, I like the tire profile much better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just pulled mine off at 3k miles, but that's because I have a track day this Saturday. My 09 now has Q2s on it, I like the tire profile much better.
Did you have many track days on the original tire? I have a Q3 coming for the rear. I intended on keeping the front d214 because the wear is very minimal, but I've since got the impression that is a big no-no. Should I get the front as well and have them swapped out at the same time?

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Hi,

So I've been browsing this forum whenever I have had a question/concern pop up, and most recently that has been about tires. It seems everywhere I read, most people are claiming anywhere from 3k to as low as 1.1k miles out of their original Dunlops before reaching the wear bars. I also have seen terrible reviews about the characteristics of the tire itself.

I just made it to 5.8k miles on the bike and I have now reached the wear bars. The tire is crowned over pretty good because most of my riding has been upright commuting, but don't get me wrong. Every chance I get, I take the twisties at speed and get a decent lean in. I almost always accelerate hard as well. So I guess I'm just blown away at how little mileage people are getting. Am I all alone with getting nearly 6k miles on my original tire?

I'm not complaining at all, but I guess I'm just more curious as to how many others out there have gotten similar mileage out of the tire. I also have always been impressed by the grip.

-Nate
Taking the twisties, lean in, and hard acceleration are all terms of perception. My perception of those may be much different than yours... and vice versa, same as lap times on a track. A fast lap for me is 1:42 at Barber. The pros are running in the 1:27/1:28 times.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
my stock rear d214 lasted 7500 miles. i think tire pressures and road surface affect tire life more than people think. if i had to guess, i'd bet the guys getting 3k miles or less from their d214s were running pressures in the low 30's and riding on concrete. my riding was done on tires inflated to the upper 30's and on asphalt.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Inflated to 38 psi, 3500 miles out of my rear, no burn outs either, just riding

Reactions: ca1192trd

·
Registered
619 Posts
How much do you weigh? I'm sure that has some bearing on it as well.

·
Registered
654 Posts
255 before gear, most of my miles were back roads too, not slab

·
Registered
654 Posts
The worst part about those crap tires is they don't stick, or last. Most tires at least do one of the two. The angel gts on it now are amazingly good

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The worst part about those crap tires is they don't stick, or last. Most tires at least do one of the two. The angel gts on it now are amazingly good
I'm 200 before gear. I also had no complaints about how long they lasted or the grip. I run the exact pressures that the manual calls for. 42 in the back, 36 in the front. I'm assuming the main reason to run lower pressures in the back is for grip? I find if I go any lower than high 30s in rear the handling went to shit.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I went with yamahas recommended tire pressure, which I am also doing with the angels and having no issues. If your having no grip issues with the dunlops all I can say is we must have very different riding styles

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am 175 no gear, check pressure of tire before every ride 42 rear and 36 front. Highway and back roads, I got 4000 miles of of the rear battle axe, secondary rubber showing. Now I am looking for a new rear. What tire would be a great tire for the bike, no track time here. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Just replaced my Michelin PR4 on the rear today (36 psi). I got 5,000 miles out of it and it was a sport/tour tire, which is fine with me. I replace my tires the moment they reaches the wear bars.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I weigh 215 without gear. I replaced the stock Dunlops at 2k miles even though there was a fair bit of tread life left on them. They just had awful performance. Poor feel, poor grip, especially in the wet. I replaced them with Dunlop Roadsmart II tires and am very happy with it now.

the Yamaha recommended tire pressures assume you are willing to trade performance to extend the life of the tire. Lowering the pressure allows the tires to heat up quicker and more easily which improves grip but at the cost of tread life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well by the sounds of it, I gotta kick up my riding a notch or two! I do feel myself holding back in the corners every now and then because I don't think the stock suspension setup is inspiring any confidence for me. Something just feels off as soon as I approach knee dragging territory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, maybe I should rephrase. Change knee dragging territory to the outer limit of the tire. With the profile of the d214 the way it is, it doesn't exactly allow for knee dragging (so shallow even on the outermost part of the tire). But I'm quite sure the suspension combined with the geometry of the bike are such that small lean angles become sketchy fairly quick, when compared to a typical sport bike (insert your favorite 600 or 1000 cc inline 4 cylinder here)

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
957 Posts
The bike in stock form just isn't really capable of being ridden aggressively. Between the suspension and stock tires it's a disaster waiting to happen and the truth is in stock trim you're never really going to be able to safely push the bike beyond what a well ridden cruiser could match. Suspension upgraded and better rubber are both needed for that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here, I got 7500 miles out of the stock Dunlops. Pretty much all commuting. They were just about flat across the center. The cold weather grip was horrible/scary. Getting Michelins next.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Almost at the wear bars at only 2800 miles running 36/42. Surprisingly low mileage for a sport touring tire. No wheelies or burnouts Only weekend jaunts through the canyons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts