Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a whopping 350 miles on the bike , great , . But there is a flat spot on the tire all ready, really.
I put a 100 k on a 900 lb. Wing, and dont get that kind of wear.it get 8.000 miles on a rear .
How far is this tire gonna go ???. Not looking good, the worst was a q2 on the fz6r it made it 3000. Im just shocked that i can see , feel a flat spot in 350 miles . Wow

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I wore out my stock rear in 1100 miles.

I was hard on the gas in 2nd and 3rd gears on a very rough and coarse surfaced mountain road during break in.

Ah but my new PR2's are so sweet compared to the stockers.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I should have a tire on hand , so I don't have to wait, its bee a extremely nasty winter , and I need some insanity clearing , ride time

·
Registered
584 Posts
about to order a set of Pilot Road 3 dual compound tires. should cost about 265.00 from Motorcycle Superstore. Will cost me 20.00 each to have the old tires removed, new tires put on and balanced. I will take them off and put on the bike. The 4's are nice but cost more than I want to pay. I don't ride in the wet and have seldom ever been caught in it. I am now at 3853 miles and wear bars are still not touching the ground but getting close. I don't push it hard, that's just me. I will order them before needing them so downtime will be little.

Just to update this. Mine came with the Bridgestone tires. I did the math and the PR3's over the S-20 was 29.00 for the set and they are supposed to give 20% more wear than then PR2's How much percentage over the S-20's I will let you know at the end of the year.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It was 2400 miles before the rear wear bar. I got the PR4 tires because although i don't ride in the wet often, its usually cause i need to get somewhere, 20% longer wear was worth the extra cash for me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I got 3000 miles out of my OEM D214 dunlop. I just got the bridgestone battleax S20 tire that comes OEM. I feel this is a better tire. I don't expect more than 3000 with this tire although I'm running lower air pressure in this one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well I got a whopping 350 miles on the bike , great , . But there is a flat spot on the tire all ready, really.
I put a 100 k on a 900 lb. Wing, and dont get that kind of wear.it get 8.000 miles on a rear .
How far is this tire gonna go ???. Not looking good, the worst was a q2 on the fz6r it made it 3000. Im just shocked that i can see , feel a flat spot in 350 miles . Wow
Apples and oranges, tire wise.
Goldwings aren't going to use the same compounds, or construction for that matter. Goldwings typically aren't ridden like a sportbike either.
60+ ft-lbs of torque is going to wear a tire on a 400 pound bike. Mine is doing the same. To counteract it I just head up the mountain twisties once a week.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apples and oranges, tire wise.
Goldwings aren't going to use the same compounds, or construction for that matter. Goldwings typically aren't ridden like a sportbike either.
60+ ft-lbs of torque is going to wear a tire on a 400 pound bike. Mine is doing the same. To counteract it I just head up the mountain twisties once a week.
Well the wing is also 2 up pulling a trailer .even with soft avons
on the fz6r I had a z8 on the rear , did lk superior tour in 3 days , 1200 miles , tire looked good .

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Pour water around the tire, hold front brake, rev it up and ease the clutch out to get the tire to light up, the tire should wear down to the flat spot in short order. I hope you can tolerate a little smoke. Though I have never had a flat spot on a back tire, the technique does shave the tire down.

Get the neighborhood kids to watch, because they are going to love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts