Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone bought these? Are they stronger than regular jeans? Been looking for riding pants but don't want to buy leather ones without trying on in person.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I believe the Key Word to look for with Jeans is "Kevlar." The more the better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I ride in them, and I love them... But I also occasionally ride in shorts. I'm not exactly worried about safety. :)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I ride in them, and I love them... But I also occasionally ride in shorts. I'm not exactly worried about safety. :)
Ok. I'm ready. :happy1:

Reactions: FZ-674 and Josh

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a pair of the scorpion riding jeans, and I'm happy with them.
No visible seams and stitching where the kevlar is sewn in, like so many others.
From the outside they look like regular jeans.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They won't really be any safer than regular jeans (which is to say they'll be practically useless) for riding. For the $60-70 you'll spend on those jeans, you could get some textile riding pants (not as good as leather, but MUCH better than any cotton jeans.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
They won't really be any safer than regular jeans (which is to say they'll be practically useless) for riding. For the $60-70 you'll spend on those jeans, you could get some textile riding pants (not as good as leather, but MUCH better than any cotton jeans.
Many of the jeans have knee pads and parts are Kevlar. The Textile are lighter but protect better....???!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Many of the jeans have knee pads and parts are Kevlar. The Textile are lighter but protect better....???!
Just curious Steve....have you ever ridden faster than 45mph? Do a wheelie? Stoppie? Used the tires all the way to the edge?

·
Registered
213 Posts
If I understand correctly, Duluth firehose pants are just heavy cotton jeans, and any cotton material instantly shreds on pavement. The Kevlar lining in many "riding jeans" is a gimmick as it is often only used in patches in some areas (which will simply tear away when the surrounding material fails) and only in a few thin layers. When I refer to textile riding pants, I mean strong textiles like Cordura along with armor inserts.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
If I understand correctly, Duluth firehose pants are just heavy cotton jeans, and any cotton material instantly shreds on pavement. The Kevlar lining in many "riding jeans" is a gimmick as it is often only used in patches in some areas (which will simply tear away when the surrounding material fails) and only in a few thin layers. When I refer to textile riding pants, I mean strong textiles like Cordura along with armor inserts.
Kevlar is not a gimmick. And is more abrasion resistant than cordura.
I crashed at about 100kph in a pair of draggin kevlar jeans. Not one mark on my skin, the jeans held up great.
A broken tib, fib and femur sliding into a post (no armour), but the kevlar did what it was supposed to do, and did it well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Kevlar is not a gimmick. And is more abrasion resistant than cordura.
I crashed at about 100kph in a pair of draggin kevlar jeans. Not one mark on my skin, the jeans held up great.
A broken tib, fib and femur sliding into a post (no armour), but the kevlar did what it was supposed to do, and did it well.
As I stated, it's a gimmick in many jeans where only a few small patches of it are used in very thin layers. The draggin jeans have a full Kevlar lining. Again, the OP was asking about the Duluth jeans, which are just thick cotton and not of much use.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Kevlar is a stronger textile than cordura. Draggins (and most kevlar jeans) dont have a full kevlar lining, it's usually a 3/4 lining as you dont often slide on your ankle.
And kevlar can be very thin because, well, it's bloody kevlar.
And yes, the OP asked about heavy weight cotton jeans, which you said shreds on Pavement. So does Cordura. Kevlar does not.

Have you crash tested any kevlar jeans, or your textile gear? Most textiles, while abrasion resistant, will melt, and rely on the abrasion resistance properties of the body armor it contains. If kevlar can stop a bullet, it'll stop road rash. In the crash i referred to, I was also wearing a textile joe rocket jacket. The textile dissolved, but the body armour held together so i didn't grind my shoulder away.

Have you crash tested any kevlar jeans or your textile gear, or are you just spouting theoretical knowledge?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Not true... I've crashed in Levis several times, under 50 mph each time, and they held up as good as textile, AND, leather.

Reactions: Josh

·
Registered
213 Posts
Kevlar is a stronger textile than cordura. Draggins (and most kevlar jeans) dont have a full kevlar lining, it's usually a 3/4 lining as you dont often slide on your ankle.
And kevlar can be very thin because, well, it's bloody kevlar.
And yes, the OP asked about heavy weight cotton jeans, which you said shreds on Pavement. So does Cordura. Kevlar does not.

Have you crash tested any kevlar jeans, or your textile gear? Most textiles, while abrasion resistant, will melt, and rely on the abrasion resistance properties of the body armor it contains. If kevlar can stop a bullet, it'll stop road rash. In the crash i referred to, I was also wearing a textile joe rocket jacket. The textile dissolved, but the body armour held together so i didn't grind my shoulder away.

Have you crash tested any kevlar jeans or your textile gear, or are you just spouting theoretical knowledge?
Obviously lining around the ankle is not needed when riding boots protect that area. There are many riding jeans that only put a small patch of kevlar over the knees and maybe another small patch in the hips. This won't help much if the surrounding material fails and pulls the patches out of place. Kevlar, properly used, is a strong and abrasion resistant material. That said, the impact of a bullet on a bulletproof vest that uses dozens of layers of Kevlar has very little to do with dragging a thin layer of Kevlar over pavement at high speed.

There are many varieties of textile construction, with varying levels of abrasion resistance. Some people like to group cheap mesh jackets in with heavier textiles when there is no comparison. All materials shred at some point if slid far enough, and my point about heavy duty textiles is that they will slide further than all cotton jeans before failure. I'm certainly not touting textile as the best thing ever, leather is my first choice and what I choose to ride with. No I haven't personally tested each material in a wreck. Have you tested each one, exactly recreating the same scenario each time?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not true... I've crashed in Levis several times, under 50 mph each time, and they held up as good as textile, AND, leather.
Your levis must not have been what was taking the brunt of the slide... Think about how many people have had levis tear by simply falling on pavement and skinning their knee. If you want to believe that levis are just as good as leather or a good textile in a slide, that's certainly your prerogative.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
if you search youtube or the web in general - there is a lot of testing of how kevlar vs. normal jeans hold up in a slide. In every one i've seen kevlar outperforms denim every time (most are done at a 35mph slide). Denim almost always rips all the way through and the denim part of the kevlar jeans do as well but the kevlar padding stays in tact.

Now double that speed and i doubt either will really hold up well - it's not really meant to...

I have a pair of A* resist jeans - they have kevlar all through the ass and knees down to my shins. They also have hip pads which are crap (i wear a pair of dianese CE hard shorts instead) and CE rated knee and shin pads. I don't expect them to completely save me but figure they are better than regular jeans and the knee pads are removable when i get to where i'm going without looking like a bafoon wearing leathers or textile pants.

I sometimes wear denim jeans commuting to work - i understand the risk - it is what it is. Make your own calculated decisions and hope for the best but don't trick yourself into believing denim or kevlar jeans are goign to do much if you get into a slide or accident, particularly over 35mph...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
If nothing else, this thread builds a Strong Case for Not riding Naked. :eek:ccasion14:

Reactions: Josh

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Obviously lining around the ankle is not needed when riding boots protect that area. There are many riding jeans that only put a small patch of kevlar over the knees and maybe another small patch in the hips. This won't help much if the surrounding material fails and pulls the patches out of place. Kevlar, properly used, is a strong and abrasion resistant material. That said, the impact of a bullet on a bulletproof vest that uses dozens of layers of Kevlar has very little to do with dragging a thin layer of Kevlar over pavement at high speed.

There are many varieties of textile construction, with varying levels of abrasion resistance. Some people like to group cheap mesh jackets in with heavier textiles when there is no comparison. All materials shred at some point if slid far enough, and my point about heavy duty textiles is that they will slide further than all cotton jeans before failure. I'm certainly not touting textile as the best thing ever, leather is my first choice and what I choose to ride with. No I haven't personally tested each material in a wreck. Have you tested each one, exactly recreating the same scenario each time?
I'm not sure what kind of cheap and nasty kevlar jeans you've seen, but I've never seen any that just have patches sewn in. If they exist, best avoid them.
If your are referring to me about grouping mesh jackets in with "heavier textiles", the joe rocket wasn't a mesh jacket, but was textile. And although it was destroyed, it did it's job because I didn't get road rash on my upper body either.
My point was, it was destroyed. It didn't need to get cut off me, it was in tatters. The kevlar so could have been worn again. Except for the blood stains from my femur poking out, and the ambos having to cut them off me.
And have I personally tested each one recreating the same scenario each time. No, you ****ing idiot, I haven't broken my femur tib and fib over and over again in the name of Internet forum science. Besides, I had to get married on crutches after the crash in question, if I did it again I'd probably have to get divorced on crutches.
However, I'm still one up on you because I have real world experience of the materials in question, you are just talking rubbish.

And yes, mods feel free to edit out the naughty word, I had to type it in response to a completely moronic question.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts