Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
?Watch Someone That Knows What He's Doing Ride The Ducati Scrambler

Cept for the engine reliablility (which we will see in a year in its 2nd hand sale price lol) , the Scrambler looks , feels and sounds like really serious competition for the FZ09.

-Better brembo brakes (yes its a single disc but looks very linear which adds marks to controllability )

- better suspension

- better ground clearance + dual sport capability

-better 1/2 up riding? (not sure but that seat looks bloody sofa like)

price: $9,995. (worth the 2000 $ ? will wait for a shootout~)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
As a dual sport, I think it is better. As an upright sport bike, not a chance.
+1 many have claimed the Scrambler is an entry level Duc for new riders. I think if you took a FZ-07 and $2000 in upgrades, it would be a much better bike than a Scrambler.

If you want it as a dual sport, I think you'll be disappointed. Buy an actual dual sport if that's what you intend to us it for.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Serious competition for the FZ09????????? You're kidding right? There is NOTHING about that bike that even comes close to the FZ09......HP, Torque, brakes, air cooled vs. water cooled, and the LOOKS of the bike is just atrocious, in my opinion. I personally wouldn't buy it if it was $2000 CHEAPER than the FZ09.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'd say the monster series is more in competition with the fz but there is really no comparable engine platform to the 09. Sat on the 1200s at the motoshow. Nice ergos and a great seat but I'd pick the 09 over it for the price any day of the week.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
Competition for the Triumph Bonneville probably. And as to engine reliability, the air-cooled 2 valve Ducati motor is without question, one of the most evolved powerplants on the road today.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Total agreement with the troops here. Ducs barely run under 4000 rpm. It's always the eye of the beholder comparing bikes, so you may love the Duc, but I, also, would not take it over the FZ for anything. Triples are so much more refined than any v-twin out there. Try running the twin in any gear above 2nd in city traffic and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Total agreement with the troops here. Ducs barely run under 4000 rpm. It's always the eye of the beholder comparing bikes, so you may love the Duc, but I, also, would not take it over the FZ for anything. Triples are so much more refined than any v-twin out there. Try running the twin in any gear above 2nd in city traffic and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
Yep..my old 796 Hypermotard had the same engine as this new Scrambler and it was impossible to ride under 4k. The Duc isn't even comparable to a Versys...let alone an FZ09.

Reactions: MoFZio and ktk_ace

·
Registered
108 Posts
I saw the whole range of Scramblers in the flesh at a motorshow here in BKK last month and sat on a couple (they're making them here in Thailand). All personal opinion of course but I thought they all looked disappointingly cheap and flimsy. Duke competition for the 09 has to be the Hypermotard.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have also heard a few times that the exhaust header route is bad for a very warm right leg.

Not sure how true it is, but I know my DR650 exhaust is a wee bit warm when you get stuck in traffic, and it's exhaust header is lower and a smaller cc's.

ducati-scrambler-cla-4_800x0w.jpg

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ducati is betting a lot on the "Scrambler" image. My memories go back to the original Honda 305 Scrambler with the dual straight pipes. I had one and it was a great bike. Ducati had the 450 Scrambler, but after owning one of those horrible Berliner Motor Corporation singles, there was no way I'd buy another. The real Scramblers were modified 500/650 Triumphs and 750cc Nortons, but they didn't call themselves that. The new Triumph Scrambler tried to capitalize, but somehow fell short... but I do like the twin side pipes. A true Scrambler needs twin straight pipes. A Scrambler is also not a true dual-sport, but falls more on the street/flat tracker side, but should have a skid-plate like the Honda had. I think someone could take a stock FZ09, add the SW Motec spoiler/skid-plate and make it into a more functional modern Scrambler than what Ducati has done. Ixil makes a cool looking twin pipe exhaust (L3X) that has the sound and looks of straight pipes. You can even choose to run them with or without inserts just like you could do with the Honda straight pipes fitted with "Snuff-or-Nots". If you don't know what those are you're not worthy of even using the word "Scrambler".

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have also heard a few times that the exhaust header route is bad for a very warm right leg.

Not sure how true it is, but I know my DR650 exhaust is a wee bit warm when you get stuck in traffic, and it's exhaust header is lower and a smaller cc's.

View attachment 12186
My brother has a yamaha bolt - air cooled Vtwin with the pipe & air box running past your right leg - obviously not the same bike but i rode it a few times in the summer - my leg was on frequent fire - textile pants, kevlar jeans - didn't matter it was damn hot in any kind of stop and go situation.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'd say the monster series is more in competition with the fz but there is really no comparable engine platform to the 09. Sat on the 1200s at the motoshow. Nice ergos and a great seat but I'd pick the 09 over it for the price any day of the week.
The 1200s is too bulky but I do like the new dash they threw on that. I test rode one last summer.

The new Monster 821 (Duck-specs: 112hp/65 torks) would be closer to the FZ09 but it's actually kind of bland for a Ducati. Surprised me when I saw one during the premiere event. Haven't ridden it yet.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The 1200s is too bulky but I do like the new dash they threw on that. I test rode one last summer.

The new Monster 821 (Duck-specs: 112hp/65 torks) would be closer to the FZ09 but it's actually kind of bland for a Ducati. Surprised me when I saw one during the premiere event. Haven't ridden it yet.
i forgot they had an 821 - base price is $11,500 - i think it again, always comes down to if you want to mod a bike or not. I'm probably bias but I spent just over a grand getting this bike to how i want it (minus the front fork which i'll hopefully do this year) - so call it $2k. It's completely tailored to me now vs. buying a stock bike like the duc - i'd still be $1,500 in the hole buying the 821 and i know i couldnt help myself with modding it.

The 09 has short comings but as it's been said over and over, it's hard to say it's a deal breaker if you're the type of person who has the means to mod one - you'll almost always net a better cost savings compared to more expensive stock bikes that are "better".

1 - 20 of 92 Posts