Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering a purchase... Suzuki DR650SE (either new/used).
Anyone have experience with this bike?
Suggestions on something comparable in size/wt/cost?

(note: bike would be for short commutes and weekend dirt-road riding...nothing too wild)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had a husky tr650, which if you can stomach the 1 year model run, will run rings around the dr. I heard the klr has had some upgrades this year too

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2001 DR650 and love it. I have a motard set for it too..
The only down side of the bike is weak suspension.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input (Yamahamer/Chris).

I like the price tag on the new and used DR650SE's.
Looks like a bike that'll provide dynamics for dirt road riding (lots of that in eastern NY and VT).
Used to own a '84 XT600...the DR650 looks to be similar.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I rode a DR650 all day for 8 days off-road in Nevada. Comfortable and soft. It handled everything I threw at it. I did a big G-out jumping over a major drainage ditch. I thought for sure that I had broken both ankles but luckily they were just sprained. As mentioned, the suspension is soft, and the bike is heavy, but overall fun.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
I have a 2001 DR650 that I may never sell. I ran the TransAmerica Trail in Colorado (numerous high passes) and Utah with suspension upgrades limited to progressive fork and shock springs. It did well enough. Over the years, I've added an IMS 4.7 gal tank, jet kit, bar risers, Ricoh shock and fork valves, fork brace a second set of wheels and real handguards. I've ridden plenty of KLR's, but I feel the DR to be the best combination of simplicity, capability and reliability for mainstream dual-sporting. And in the right hands, with the right mods, it can do anything a Husky or KTM can, as I have witnessed. Of course the Husky and KTM will do it more easily, more expensively and less reliably. I pound my DR on twisty paved roads and it is a hoot to do so. For commuting on surface streets here in Atlanta, it is the perfect weapon. It's rare to find a used one on CycleTrader and the prices are a bit stiff when you do find a used one. And it's hard to get anything off of MSRP on a new one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had a husky tr650, which if you can stomach the 1 year model run, will run rings around the dr. I heard the klr has had some upgrades this year too
I have a 2014 Husqvarna TR650 (mid year VIN update only) that I purchased for $5900 out the door new. Much lighter than the DR650 and KLR650 bikes. More power as well with the BMW GS650 motor that comes stock on it. Hands down the better bike in the 650 class, but again BMW/Husky doesn't make it anymore so future parts could be an issue. Getting new suspension put on it this Winter as I'm finding it handles single track riding due to it's lighter weight, but needs fully adjustable suspension addon just like our FZ-09 does to be in command of the tough stuff.

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's a fine looking machine FJ

I sold my FZ-09 for one of these - a Triumph Tiger 800 XC. I am very, very happy with it.

Reactions: JM123 and MoFZio

·
Registered
290 Posts
One of my dual sport riding buddies has the Triumph 800 XC and Yamaha WR250R. When we go riding anything other than regular fire roads (Forest Ranger Routes) he takes the WR250R instead. Loves his 800 XC but when it gets a little tough it is a handful and he has dropped it on the trail one too many times to challege it any longer. The WR250R is such a great dual sport bike and recommend it to anyone getting into the offroading aspect for the first time.

·
Registered
671 Posts
One of my dual sport riding buddies has the Triumph 800 XC and Yamaha WR250R. When we go riding anything other than regular fire roads (Forest Ranger Routes) he takes the WR250R instead. Loves his 800 XC but when it gets a little tough it is a handful and he has dropped it on the trail one too many times to challege it any longer. The WR250R is such a great dual sport bike and recommend it to anyone getting into the offroading aspect for the first time.
The WR250R is s great bike if you can trailer it to the start of the ride. Any road distance at all on a 250 dirt bike can be tiring at best.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've owned dr650s since 1996 and have put well over 75000 miles on them with no issues at all. I ride these bikes all over the west and is hands down better in the sand and rocks than any of the $ 18000 adventure bikes and way lighter and alot simpler (no fuel pump to ruin your ride (ktm) also no water cooling, just a well built basic dirt bike that always gets you home.These bikes are also good on twisty roads and will cruise at 75 or 80 all day long, and the aftermarket is huge for custom parts. RR:cool:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I've owned dr650s since 1996 and have put well over 75000 miles on them with no issues at all. I ride these bikes all over the west and is hands down better in the sand and rocks than any of the $ 18000 adventure bikes and way lighter and alot simpler (no fuel pump to ruin your ride (ktm) also no water cooling, just a well built basic dirt bike that always gets you home.These bikes are also good on twisty roads and will cruise at 75 or 80 all day long, and the aftermarket is huge for custom parts. RR:cool:
+1 to everything Redrider says. I have a 2013 DR650SE sitting in my garage next to my FZ-09, and each bike is a blast to ride. If you want a reliable dual sport that won't drain your bank account, it's hard to beat the Suzuki DR650SE. If you need more proof, go take a look at www.DRRiders.com

One of the better aftermarket sites is ProCycle, they sell tons of farkles for the DR. From supermoto, off road, touring, dual sport farkles. You can easily upgrade anything on a DR for whatever you want to use it for. I did my homework, checked all the 650 dual sports. Stick with a Japanise bike, for lower cost of maintenance and parts. The KLR is more road oriented and heavier. The XR650L, plain pass there, because of how Honda operates around here with those Stupid Honda Power Centers. They stock next to nothing for parts, you are screwed if you need anything right away. 99.9% of parts have to be ordered in. Plus Honda pricing on everything is way over priced. And I have owned Honda's in the past, loved them, but won't bother again. Unless they stop being so stupid with how they run their stores. I won't even call them a "shop" anymore. But that is around here, not sure how they operate everywhere else?

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
350 Posts
Dr650 is a great bike. A little heavy and dated but that shouldn't matter for your purposes. Huge aftermarket if you want to fiddle. I've been looking for a cheap one for some time, just haven't seen the right one yet.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Personally I don't think you can go wrong with an Xr650L. Much more dirt oriented, will take you further off road.

I recommend the Xr650R though... Insane torque is why.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dr650 is so much fun. It has enough torque to keep you entertained on the street. The motors are built proof. I really liked the one I had.
OBIJACK: Thanks for the link. DR650 looks to be the bike for me. Nice!

EVERYONE: Really, really appreciate you all taking time to give some input here. At first glance, the DR650 appeared to be the bike and now I'm convinced it's the all around fit (cost/parts/dependable/light/dirt-roading).

Won't be spending most of my time on pavement, nor trails. VT has paved only about 1/3 of its roads: Vermont - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia.

Now, to buy new or used? :dontknow:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Very very few Used out there Nationwide. Shop CycleTrader, Craigslist, Backpage (?)

Good luck with that.:)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very very few Used out there Nationwide. Shop CycleTrader, Craigslist, Backpage (?)

Good luck with that.:)
Yeah, they're scarce. Thankfully, the shop where I bought the FZ09 has a 2009. Have yet to look at the bike.
Wrestling with what to trade-in (or sell outright). My Ninja 650R and/or FZ6N? Not certain.
Wouldn't mind getting a new DR650 (or a leftover 2014). Gotta stop by the shop this week.

Craigslist has a couple of 2013 models... one's gone down... the other is spotless.

Thanks for the input, chief! :icon_salut:

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Got to weigh the OTD price of the '09 (almost six years old) verses Brand New '14 OTD.....Im having the same issues with overpriced GSXR's that are almost six years old. There's No substitution for new & unblemished.:cool:

Patience :)

1 - 20 of 86 Posts