Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go with a retro / speed triple look - the original light was a little too "transformers" for me so grabbed a welder and some beers....errr, maybe I grabbed the beers first...hmmmm

What's cool is that I didn't have to cut anything original so I can put entire old assembly back on in 15 minutes if I needed to.....but that's up to the next owner, I think it looks sweet

Next up, I'm going fab a shroud cover for the wires that will have a mounting bracket for a quick release windshield. I only need the windshield a couple times a month so I want something that goes on and off in 10 seconds w/o screws. More to come...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Not bad at all. What kind of lights did you use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drag Specialties Black Diamond-Style Bottom Mount 5 3/4 Headlight
Drag Specialties Black Diamond Style Bottom Mount 5 3 4 Headlight Assy 20010551 | eBay

They're black gloss, I really wanted matte so I might sand them down and repaint but more important to get the shroud on there now. There's two light feeds on the stock light, outer ring and halogen main feed which is 60/55 watt. The new lights are 60/55 ea so basically doubling lumens except single headlight power source isn't enough spliced for two. So, going to take the outer ring source and use it for one light (low beam only), then use the original main headlamp source for the right bulb so it still has hi/low.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey, nice work! I'm also interested in the wind screen keep us posted! I have a zero gravity windscreen from my fz1 I want to fit to the 9. What brand of hand guards did you use? did you get rid of the bar ends? if you got rid of the bar ends any vibration?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yep, that looks cool.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
side view from about 10-15 yards away, please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the ZETA ones with the indicators - when I removed headlight assembly, the stock blinkers went too but these are pretty bright.

I removed the bar ends (reluctantly) to see how they worked and they really don't work well with just the expansion bolt things. I'm going to drill out/thread the old bar ends next time I'm in the shop. I haven't noticed any vibration so far but haven't gotten over 70 yet

·
Registered
120 Posts
Next up, I'm going fab a shroud cover for the wires that will have a mounting bracket for a quick release windshield. I only need the windshield a couple times a month so I want something that goes on and off in 10 seconds w/o screws. More to come...
Very interested in that.
Nice job with the lights, not really my thing but excellent work.

·
Registered
201 Posts
its funny, when i had my speed triple i actually replaced the dual roundies with a single headlight because i didnt like the stock look.

different strokes for different folks, i guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts