Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew from the start by researching my purchase that the FZ-09 would be modified and my first rides proved that (far from scary or un-rideable with smooth control inputs) I actually like the fact that yamaha did not raise the price to install upper grade suspension and brakes since the basic package is just what I was looking for to make into the bike of my dreams. Now I can add a full Ohlins frt.& rear suspension package and not feel guilty about trashing the original suspension parts. Klye Racing engines had a set of 30mm Ohlins frt. cart., and rear shock(to be drop shipped) together with springs & all tools for a package price of $2000.00 incl. shipping out the door, I did add the Ohlins fork oil for $28.00. The cart. and tools or on the way with the shock to follow. I will post all mods once these are installed and report what I think the results are. racing Flattrack only the last 4 years, having a front brake at all is great. I understand the $$$ needed to modify may be hard for some to take especially if used as a daily commuter but for us seasoned (old) riders this is the perfect platform to make what we want and still come in at around what a supersport costs.
Rick

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Rick, congratulations. Sounds like you're off to a Fast (haha) start. Every Mod will enhance the overall experience. But you already know this....

Cheers!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I knew from the start by researching my purchase that the FZ-09 would be modified and my first rides proved that (far from scary or un-rideable with smooth control inputs) I actually like the fact that yamaha did not raise the price to install upper grade suspension and brakes since the basic package is just what I was looking for to make into the bike of my dreams. Now I can add a full Ohlins frt.& rear suspension package and not feel guilty about trashing the original suspension parts. Klye Racing engines had a set of 30mm Ohlins frt. cart., and rear shock(to be drop shipped) together with springs & all tools for a package price of $2000.00 incl. shipping out the door, I did add the Ohlins fork oil for $28.00. The cart. and tools or on the way with the shock to follow. I will post all mods once these are installed and report what I think the results are. racing Flattrack only the last 4 years, having a front brake at all is great. I understand the $$$ needed to modify may be hard for some to take especially if used as a daily commuter but for us seasoned (old) riders this is the perfect platform to make what we want and still come in at around what a supersport costs.
Rick
What are the cartridge and shock model numbers?? That sounds like a good deal. Would like to try to find a package like that
myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cartridges are FGK230, the rear shock is a YA335, Dan the owner of Kyle racing(831-394-1331) incl. springs for the frt. 180-185lb.
rider .90 #8423-90 and will have the rear shock which he was waiting on (est. 3 weeks) to be drop shipped with spings for same weight range, plus the tools needed to install cartridges.
Rick

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the brakes. You simply can't use them to the full because of the soft forks.
The discs seem to be fine, but I find the pads have too high initial bite and can't handle a lot of abuse. I've been practicing emergency stops...

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
The discs seem to be fine, but I find the pads have too high initial bite and can't handle a lot of abuse. I've been practicing emergency stops...
I like the factory pads, and have found no fading, etc, when pushed hard. I will say that one of the first things I did way back when is to install a set of the Spiegler stainless braided lines on the bike and switched it over to Motul RBF 600 high temp. brake fluid and that took some of the mushiness out of the brake lever. Until the front end softness is resolved though, you will simply be able to use the factory brakes and lines and they will be more than enough because of the front forks. YMMV

Reactions: clown

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just order Ohlins rear shock S46DR1 YA335 arriving time at the end of October from Pro Pilot Suspension in NJ. (732)928-7800. ( ohlins pro.com ) they will have another model for the rear soon,free delivery in US and at a better price that was post here before for the same shock , Jim was the person who help me , don't know if anny of you has information of this place.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
you guys will love the ohlins rear shock. I got mine ordered and installed from washington cycle works here in NJ. Super easy install - bike feels completely different after it got dropped in. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Purchased my Ohlin rear shock from STG today ($648 shipped) to help pay back for his great videos. Need to save the money for the new 30mm cartridges though. He doesn't advertise them on the site so I might have to go elsewhere for them installed in the fork tubes.

**Update **
Just purchased the Ohlins 30mm cartridges installed and shipped for $1587. From Computrack Boston that will put the forks together for your specs and will even send out a mailing box for you ship your fork tubes in. Putting the fork tubes on will be easier job that replacing the rear shock which is only time consuming to get to the top shock mount, so should be 2 hour job for the install.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds great I will be loading up my bike and parts in the A.M. to take to my racing buddies shop to do multiple mods. I think Yamaha could learn a lot from
the members of this forum, we have already created additional models with are mods. 1) an fz09R exhaust, suspension upgrades, bars and brakes, ECU flash.
2) an fz09T for touring- seat, hard luggage and racks and minor upgrades to suspension and other areas. Seems to me Yamaha could offer an fz with an exhaust
(maybe akra like shown on the European Yamaha pages) and maybe Ohlins or other suitable suspension parts as an upgrade package. But then what would we
have to talk about and personalize, so I'm happy they kept it cheap so I can add what I want.
Rick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here is more info. & pics , the prices they have are really the best , I can't post their price.

YA335 Ohlins (List Price 695.00 )Ours to Door ..

Ohlins FGK230 30mm CArtridge Kit that uses 8423-90 Springs(List 1313.00+148=1461.00) Ours..

Ohlins YA 335 with Fork Springs For Std Forks .90(list 148.00)Ours...

We also do FREE Spring Swaps(Regular 100.00)

FREE U.S. Shipping NO TAx o/s and « Ohlins Largest U.S. Wholesale Distributer of Ohlins Suspension Components, Ohlins Sales, Ohlins Parts, Technical Support Specilaizing in Ohlins 732-928-7800 Eastern Monday-Friday

Suspension part Shock absorber Coil spring Auto part Suspension
Suspension part Shock absorber Auto part Yellow Suspension
Auto part

·
Registered
290 Posts
To be honest, in all my years of riding I never really paid too much attention to suspension setup. Sure, things like getting the rear sag adjusted, and dialing in the correct rebound/compression for my offroad bikes, but never played a lot with the street bikes. Maybe it was a money thing before where affording just the bike and gear was a lot to absorb financially. After being on the FZ-09 site(s) I'm realizing exactly how much a difference a custom tuned suspension can make on a bike. The FZ-09 was so affordable (compare to other bikes with similar power) that I feel putting a few grand into the bike's handling is money well spent.

When I owed a Street Triple R I didn't think twice about suspension, mainly because it was already there and just a few clicks and it was set. My biggest problem with the STR was the front brake squeal that couldn't be fixed by my Triumph dealer, and when the next great thing came out (Ducati Multistrada) I was putting that in my garage instead. To date, my favorite triple is still the Daytona 675 with a Jardine center exhaust; the sound it made was the best motorcycle ear music I have ever owned. I would still have one if my body was able to handle the sport riding style, but those days are behind me now. Having a great standard with excess torque is now my perfect ride. Changing out to Ohlins front and rear suspension will make it just that much better. I just hope I get a few weeks of riding in before I have to switch out to my winter riding bike. Will be sure post some pictures once I get it installed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same exact Ohlins setup for me. The front cartridges are being installed right now as we speak but the rear shock is on back order until the end of Feb 2015 :(
Hopefully I can pick my bike up today so I can ride it this weekend...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Same exact Ohlins setup for me. The front cartridges are being installed right now as we speak but the rear shock is on back order until the end of Feb 2015 :(
Hopefully I can pick my bike up today so I can ride it this weekend...
mine was back ordered for more than a month too - it's a hot commodity!

·
Registered
857 Posts
You guys stop this, I'm trying to be happy with the stock suspension for awhile and your not helping.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
63 Posts
My Ohlins shock finally arrived and is installed. Took it to the canyons this weekend and handling was awesome. Ohlins fork catridges and Ohlins shock is the best investment ever on this bike. Can't say enough about it :)
Will do it again in a heart beat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
My Ohlins shock arrived the other day. Probably be a couple weeks until I take her to the shop for the install of the Racetech front/Ohlins rear.:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts