Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years without a drop.. it happened to me last night.

Let her down going about 30km/hr as I hustled her out of a left turn; rookie mistake :(

I have a bruised hip, slight scrape, soreness around my kidney, sore shoulder; but all in all minor (the one time this year I wore jeans instead of leather). My jacket lifted slight and exposed some skin.... couldn't imagine would would happen at high speed.

Mostly I have a bruised ego.....now I'm 'that guy' with the dropped bike.

Bar end is scraped, left mirror barely scraped, crankcase cover scraped.....but the worst is the gas tank; it has a big dent in it! Fortunatley I have OES sliders which probably prevented a lot of damage.

IMG_0143.jpg IMG_0142.jpg IMG_0141.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'm always sad to hear about an "off" or drop, but the important thing is that you are OK. You should see some of the damaged bikes that come off the track sometimes....frames broke in half, front end GONE, sub-frames destroyed......rider, many times relatively minor damage. One of our Instructors tucked the front end going into T1 at Barber on Saturday at probably close to 110 MPH. Bike has major damage, he is relatively OK....nothing major at all.

Heal up quick.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Sorry to see/hear this, man! Not good.
Make the repairs and ride on.
Thanks for sharing (this helps the rest of us to be careful)!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The left cover is like 90 bucks I think. I still am so lucky that I didn't mess my tank up when I crashed and broke my collar bone.... Glad you're ok. She'll be good as new in no time.

Reactions: Vbp6us

·
Registered
43 Posts
Everybody drops a bike eventually. At least you walked away from it. Stadium Yamaha has great parts prices in the US, don't know if they ship to Canada though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another down. Wow. These things are dropping like flies. You survived, heal up and get back on.
This would be why insurance is so expensive at most providers for this bike. Most wanted $2-3k a year when I called! Thankfully a single provider I found got me $900.

Glad to hear OP is ok at least!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Seriously, last year when FZ-09 first came out, I got ~ $450 insurance quote for the year with full coverage and 500 deductible. This year I got ~ $1700 quote with $1000 deductible. If I am going to pay $1700 per month, I will buy my dream bike, Repsol CBR 1000RR.

This would be why insurance is so expensive at most providers for this bike. Most wanted $2-3k a year when I called! Thankfully a single provider I found got me $900.

Glad to hear OP is ok at least!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well that sucks... glad to here you're ok. If you're up for a serious mod when/if you get your new tank, you can cut up the old one to make a rear cowl. You'll need to add some trim and find a suitable way to mount it, but it'll be colour matched with the stipe and all! :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to hear that you crashed. Did you have any sliders on the bike? Sliders would have saved the tank and some of the other damage, right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear that you crashed. Did you have any sliders on the bike? Sliders would have saved the tank and some of the other damage, right?
I have OES sliders; I think the damage on the tank is from the bars getting pushed into the tank.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another down. Wow. These things are dropping like flies. You survived, heal up and get back on.
These things are by no means a beginners bike, but a lot of new guys got them. It is a lot more bike than anyone should have unless they have experience and some level of self control.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
A lot of people said, no worries, I respect the bike. Im a noob, but I got this. At least a dozen of them have gone down. Not saying this guy in particular, but many.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
There don't seem to be too many new riders on this forum. Are you guys hearing about this elsewhere?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts