Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not even a good story to tell. I was practically standing still, lost my footing and the bike went down. Wound up bending the clutch lever, scratching the bar end, and worst of all gouging the engine case.

The bar end, I can replace.

I think I can do the clutch lever myself, I've never done it on this bike, hoping it will be a similar process to my Harley. I'd welcome any tips in this department.

As far as the gouged case goes, any ideas on how to fix this? What will happen if I just leave it like that? Will the exposed metal corrode?
Would engine protectors have stopped this from happening?

Tire Auto part Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Auto part Rim Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sorry to read this, but sounds like you're OK and the more expensive items on your FZ-09 were spared damage. Looks like you're on a good track to set things right. I am looking forward to seeing the Woodcraft protectors to go along with the frame and swingarm sliders.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to hear brother. If you live in a cold wet state I'd find an epoxy or something that won't melt off and slap some over that gouge until u her it replaced

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to read this, but sounds like you're OK and the more expensive items on your FZ-09 were spared damage. Looks like you're on a good track to set things right. I am looking forward to seeing the Woodcraft protectors to go along with the frame and swingarm sliders.
Ego a bit bruised, but thats about it. I'll go check out the Woodcraft protectors.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Those gouges do not look too bad in the picture, take the cover off knock down the high areas and fill with high heat JB weld. Sand the entire area smooth and repaint the entire cover, not real hard and will cost you $10 bucks for the JB and can of spray paint. Or you can spend a bit more and just order a new cover from Yamaha, there is a thread that lists out the MSRP for it if you search.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can replace the levers with shorty ones, so that should the bike end up without the rubber side down in the future, they are much less likely to be damaged.

There are several brands, 2 of the most common ones are Mad Hornets (cheap in price, order/ship from China) or most expensive but can be found locally, ASV.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bummer, I parked mine without leaving it in gear and it rolled down hill and fell over. ID-10-T error!

Similar damage minus the bent lever(Woodcraft sliders helped). I ordered touch up paint on ebay for the cover. I just cleaned it and touched up the scratches. You have to look for it to notice.

I figure if this is the worst thing I do to it, IT'S ALL GOOD!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I drop some of my bikes 3-4 times a day on Single Track. For dirtbikes you buy disk looking Stainless Steelcase plate cover that attaches with silicone that cushions and has great skid protection. This eliminates the need for bolting and tourqing I have a machine shop helping me work out a design for our bikes and will let everyone know and of course, become a sponsor if I can get these made at a sensible price point.

All you see is the full cover and underneath is cured silicone that protects against slapping against rocks at speeds over 70 MPH (don't ask me how I know that one) and skidding. Use with the full front and rear set of sliders and spools and one would be set up pretty well against drops and slides. They come off with fishing line, easy.

I'm not a sponsor yet so price and other details will be explained if hopefully when I become one later on.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
out of all the fallen fz-09's i've seen on the forums, left side seems to be the most common. The cover is not too bad, if you decide to remove the cover to repaint or replace make sure you get the gasket for it as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You can also look at CRG for the levers as they have some reasonably priced and very high quality or you can just pick up a new stock lever from someone who's already replaced them (pm me your location, if it's reasonably close I'll send you my old one). Changing it is very easy, takes about 5 min and only one bolt to undo.

Nothing is going to happen with the scratches on the cover, you can add case savers to cover it up and prevent this next time, or you can just touch up the paint and call it good. The bar end is another very simple fix.

Luckily nothing major was damaged and you're all good!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Sux, the silliest little thing can drop your bike.

I wouldn't take off the engine cover for that, it's a bit involved. Touch it up like the others have said on the bike. I wouldn't try to get it perfect, soon the Woodcraft case protectors via Stoltec should be available, they will hide it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think the Yamaha case savers will cover that - and the existing damage is only cosmetic. Clean it off, cover it with touch up paint or magic marker - and order the Yamaha case savers...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(pm me your location, if it's reasonably close I'll send you my old one).
Thanks for the offer, it's much appreciated. However, I'm probably the exact opposite of reasonably close.
I'm in Sydney Australia.

And thanks to everyone else for their great advice.

Are there other benefits to the short levers?

I'll probably just get the stock lever from the dealer and replace it myself.

As far as touch up paint for the case, is that something yamaha sells, is there special paint for this?

Wonder how much a full set of Woodcraft sliders etc. would cost to send to Aus. I'll shoot Stoltec an email.

Once again, many thanks.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
You can buy some awesome Mad Hornets levers, for the price of stock levers, and they are better IMHO.

The Yamaha case savers, cost 3x as much as that scratched case cover, purchased new, from Yamaha... Personally, doing math, I'd forget the case savers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not even a good story to tell. I was practically standing still, lost my footing and the bike went down. Wound up bending the clutch lever, scratching the bar end, and worst of all gouging the engine case.

The bar end, I can replace.

I think I can do the clutch lever myself, I've never done it on this bike, hoping it will be a similar process to my Harley. I'd welcome any tips in this department.

As far as the gouged case goes, any ideas on how to fix this? What will happen if I just leave it like that? Will the exposed metal corrode?
Would engine protectors have stopped this from happening?

View attachment 4045 View attachment 4046 View attachment 4047
http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/1478-changing-stator-crankcase-cover.html Post #10

Edit: xHD . . . welcome to my world. It's a bummer I know. But really no big deal because you're ok and the damage is minimal. The damages are just about identical to my tip-over.

·
Registered
584 Posts
here is a different idea. looks like just lower one of the 3 raised areas on the cover got scratched. Masking tape off the low areas and all around leaving just the high areas exposed. Carefully use paint remover on the 3 raised areas. Then file down the crash/scarred area till smooth and polish all thee high areas and circle at the center. Unique looking, will shine like the foot peg shields and you don't have to remove it. Or mask around the scratches, hit it with flat black paint and quickly wipe off the high points with a rag wrapped around a flat object with acetone on it so you end up with paint just inside the scratches. My 2 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts