Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful day out - about 80 degrees. Just my mesh jacket and riding jeans. Left at 8:30 this morning and then last stop before coming home we grab a snack and Sparky's Restaurant in Hatch, NM. Pull into the neighboring parking lot and down I go! Under my helmet yelling the f-bomb on the way down. Just ticks me off. Why?! Totally operator ERROR. I HATE THAT! Ugh! Then all the guys I'm riding with come running to pick up my bike and I'm shouting under my helmet, I GOT THIS! They completely ignored me and picked it up, being the gentleman they are but DAMN was I PISSED OFF! Can you tell?!?! The ride home was beautiful and as disappointed that I was in myself, it's so cool, how getting back on this bike, a bike that can shit and get, forced a shit eating grin out of me. Anyway, here are the f'n pictures from my f'n f-up! :mad: Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Windshield Auto part Vehicle Tire Titanium Brake Engine Auto part Vehicle Fuel line Automotive engine part
So . . . I'm giving the play by play of my incident to my husband after I pull into the garage. I finish and he just looks at me and says, "I'm gonna have a beer, you should probably have one with me". I'll be g-damned if that ain't wait good friends are for. Glad I had Stoltech's frame sliders installed instead of sitting in the box. I'm having another beer, namely Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye IPA. Love that stuff. Gawd - I'm glad you folks are here. Good talk.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Eva...we need to see YOUR pics...not the bike. We need to make sure there was no body damage. Wear something skimpy please.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Eva...we need to see YOUR pics...not the bike. We need to make sure there was no body damage. Wear something skimpy please.
LOL! I'm feeling so much better now just cuz of you! I swear, we've got the best forum ever! Ha ha ha ha! Thanks CD!
Edit: I'm petite and in my mid fiftties - careful for what you ask! :p

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Sux, I'm glad you are ok and the bike damage is light. When you can please let us know what happened. Something on the pavement? An "oops" coming to a stop?

About the bike, the Woodcraft "pucks" can be replaced individually, you don't need to get the full set again. Soon Stoltec/Woodcraft will be coming out with engine case covers/protectors, they'll hide the engine case scratches, I'd say don't worry about them.

Look at the bright side, your 09's first "oops" out of the way, so learn and relax. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shit happens at least youre not hurt and you could ride the bike home..
You're absolutely right - I just get annoyed when I do stupid things. Maybe it just seemed worse because I was having such the perfect day. Thanks Steve

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sux, I'm glad you are ok and the bike damage is light. When you can please let us know what happened. Something on the pavement? An "oops" coming to a stop?

About the bike, the Woodcraft "pucks" can be replaced individually, you don't need to get the full set again. Soon Stoltec/Woodcraft will be coming out with engine case covers/protectors, they'll hide the engine case scratches, I'd say don't worry about them.

Look at the bright side, your 09's first "oops" out of the way, so learn and relax. ;)
Aww V2 . . .
Just pulled into the parking lot - bikes everywhere. I see a spot and turn my handlebars HARD left and didn't straighten out before giving her that teeny weeny acceleration to pull in. Nothing challenging in terms of the parking lot finish, or rocks. It was flat out dumb. Errror, error, error, - blurple screen of death.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Sorry to hear about the little off, but glad you are OK and the bike is both rideable and not damaged very much. That kind of stuff happens to everyone, sooner or later.

Reactions: Eva

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I just caught the part about the engine case coveriing the scratches! Alright then I'm feeling the love! Hurry up Nick! I gotta share this with you. Totally off topic. I've a pretty good buzz just after nearly 2 beers. I'm sitting out in our courtyard, and my hubby walks out with a bottle of Alaskan Amber. He proceeds to inform me not to purchase that beer any more. So I look at him lovingly and tell him to finish my (last bottle) beer because I'm so far gone that I'm not worthy of appreciating such a fine taste. so I get his full bottle and take a swig and he looks at me and says, Jesus! I ask him what's wrong and he says there's hardly anything left in yours, you suck and walks away, but with a smile of disapproval. life is good when your married to your best friend!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Slow speed on a bike is deceptive, you can still drop it in a blink, especially one the height and weight of the 09, once it's momentum is towards a drop you aren't going to save it. Then just get yourself out of the way, so your leg isn't under it or don't strain your back trying to save it etc.

·
Banned
161 Posts
OMG you scratched your bike

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Slow speed on a bike is deceptive, you can still drop it in a blink, especially one the height and weight of the 09, once it's momentum is towards a drop you aren't going to save it. Then just get yourself out of the way, so your leg isn't under it or don't strain your back trying to save it etc.
As crazy as it sounds, I'd like to see a playback of exactly what happened. You're right - it was in a blink. But if I had my wits about me I could have pulled hard on the right, then just put my feet down. once I kknewy I was going down I remember looking at the left mirror tip and thinking lay her down as easily as is possible.At 120 pounds . . . and five feet short, that was the best I could do in that moment. As soon as I felt a strain on my lower right side of my back, I lknew i had to let her go :( Weird. As I'm writing this, that means, I DID try to pull to the right, but it was to little too late.

·
Banned
161 Posts
You'll be OK it's an ego bruiser but you're going to learn motorcycles are resilient and can be beaten upon, especially inexpensive Japanese ones.

Reactions: cjhorton and Eva

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'll join in as well. You're OK most importantly. Everything damaged is fixable.

I just caught the part about the engine case coveriing the scratches!
I'm looking forward to the case covers as well. :D

·
Banned
161 Posts
FZ09 prob. isnt a good first bike for someone 120 lbs and 5 ft. I could think of a dozen better, less expensive options.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a kickstand malfunction very recently with the same damage results. This has been a great forum to learn, inspire and even blow off some steam when we get frustrated. I'm a proud member of the club we've got here! Love, laughter and good beer can get you through the goofiest of operator errors. Cheers young lady!

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Everyone drops a bike in their lifetime, Eva. Everybody. I know women your size who ride 700 lb Harleys and don't drop their bikes anymore and I know big guys on little bikes who drop theirs all the time.

This is why companies make Sliders, cause it is going to happen. Don't feel bad, you are part of an ever growing club. Some of us admit it, some don't.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can just replace my shift lever, right?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts