Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

So without going into too much detail, I hate Pennsylvania drivers and I was forced to drop my bike last week. Luckily, my frame sliders absorbed most of the damage to the bike and my riding gear protected my body except for a couple bruises. After thoroughly inspecting my bike, the only real damage I noticed was the right rearset was completely snapped in half. I uploaded the best picture I could, but I'm wondering how I should fix this.

Should I go to the dealer to try to get it fixed, or should I try to find the stock piece and install it myself? Overall, it seems rather difficult to remove the broken pieces from the bike so I'm not sure the best course of action here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Footwear Fashion accessory

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sorry to hear you laid it down. You can fix it yourself. About $75 for Yamaha original parts (peg and bracket). Totally easy to do with metric socket set and less than an hour of your time!

-Shannon

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Am I mistaken or do you already have the rearset bracket assembly taken loose from the bike? If that's the case, order the new bracket and if you need any other small parts also, then re-install it your self. MSRP for the bracket is about $85-90, but there are several places that sell parts at a discounted price.

Part number for the right rearset is: 1RC-27443-00-00

·
Registered
885 Posts
Overall, it seems rather difficult to remove the broken pieces from the bike so I'm not sure the best course of action here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Don't know your comfort level with hand tools; sorry if my response reads too condescending...

Looks like you have the two largest bolts removed already. The next three smaller ones are 5mm hex. Guessing they need to come out as well. Not sure if you're attempting to remove them with an allen wrench.

I tried using one on another part of my FZ-09 without success. Unless your hands are a lot stronger than mine (entirely possible!), this may be a better choice.

The pictures actually show 8mm tools, but a similar 3/8" ratchet wrench and 5mm hex bit socket should do the job. Removing some of the factory installed hardware requires quite some effort.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Also, congratulations on installing frame sliders. From what you have described, the repair total may be substantially less than if you had not installed them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick responses and my woodcraft frame sliders and bar end sliders definitely saved my bike! In regards to the bracket, I took it most of the way off but got stuck on the 5mm hex bolts.

Since I didn't realize how cheap a new bracket was, I'm definitely going to order a new one and just install it myself. Seems easy enough.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That happened to my wife once. Unfortunately it was a highside that snapped her ankle too and the bike endo'd 5 times. See, it could have been worse. Glad you are OK and hope you are feeling not too beat up. Wishing you and your FZ a speedy recovery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts