Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another cause for celebration. Sonic Springs and I have been working on developing a custom-wound set of springs for the FZ-09. We're happy to report that they are done and ready for shipment!

I'd show a picture...but would you know the difference? Of course not! They look exactly. like. stock. But, that's a good thing. No need to futz with new spacers and the stock oil level translates over. This is truly a stock-replacement spring kit.

Price is $84 plus shipping and rates are available in 0.85 kg/mm, 0.90 kg/mm, 0.95 kg/mm, and 1.0 kg/mm.

PM me directly with all rate discussions; they can get lengthy and I would rather avoid a cluttered thread.

Thanks for your support!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You were suggesting to use 10W oil and oil level was LH 148mm, RH 147mm. That's with the fork all the way down? I did it on my FZ6R but want to make sure all the numbers are good. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You were suggesting to use 10W oil and oil level was LH 148mm, RH 147mm. That's with the fork all the way down? I did it on my FZ6R but want to make sure all the numbers are good. Thanks

Yessir.

One comment on the oil weight, though: the actual weight you settle on will be determined by the type of riding you do and the road quality. Some riders may find the 10w too heavy for heavily frost heaved roads and/or cold weather. If you live in a warm climate (like you do) and/or have smooth roads, YMMV. So, buyer beware...some experimenting may be required on your part. I'm personally using 10w oil in these forks with stock valving and find them to be good - though a little firm under 40F. If I were going to stop here, I might consider 7.5 wt. Now the good news...we only have damping in one leg, which means you only need to remove/drain one fork leg if you change your mind.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
So you are saying that we don't have to worry about changing oil on the LH fork, RH only?

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct, with one clarification. WORK CLEAN when you change the springs! You will have to add a few cc's of oil to replace the oil that was stuck to the spring when you removed it. Otherwise, top it off, set the level (I recommend using one height for both - 148 to start), and be done with it. No need to go heavier with oil that does no damping. It's only there to lubricate and provide bottoming resistance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
On my current humble little GS500 ... I put .95 Sonics (for my body weight... Could have gone 1.0 though) in late last year .... Awesome difference!... The springs are WORTH it!! ... :cool:

·
Registered
235 Posts
What's the weight of the factory oil? Also if someone with a service manual could post the fork spring replacement info that would be awesome.. I've never messed with fork springs before..

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the weight of the factory oil? Also if someone with a service manual could post the fork spring replacement info that would be awesome.. I've never messed with fork springs before..
Factory fill is Yamaha Suspension Oil 01, which is a 0wt. As we discussed via PM, I'd recommend going heavier than stock due to the inadequate damping with the stock valving.

Unless someone beats me too it, I'll amend the OP with a few steps later today.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Are these single rate springs or progressive? I don't like progressive wound springs.

edit: I looked at Sonics website and they don't like progressive either ,so I assume these aren't.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I'd show a picture...but would you know the difference? Of course not! They look exactly. like. stock. But, that's a good thing. No need to futz with new spacers and the stock oil level translates over. This is truly a stock-replacement spring kit.
The stocks are not Progressive, so these should not be either as per Nick.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
I've got some on the way myself. I'm telling you what .....between being "hooked on track" and Nick offering up all these goodies for the FZ, I may have to get into a 12 step program...........

Hi, my name is Vernon, and I have an addiction problem..........Motorcycles! :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are these single rate springs or progressive? I don't like progressive wound springs.

edit: I looked at Sonics website and they don't like progressive either ,so I assume these aren't.
Non progressive is what Nick said when I purchased a set of fork springs from him 2 weeks ago

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
73 Posts
I try not to feel guilty with all the extra money and parts that go into getting a bike set up. I have to much experience at this point and have accepted the fact that I am going to keep spending and improving on a bike. Plus I feel the FZ09 platform is worth the time and money.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
I try not to feel guilty with all the extra money and parts that go into getting a bike set up. I have to much experience at this point and have accepted the fact that I am going to keep spending and improving on a bike. Plus I feel the FZ09 platform is worth the time and money.

Getting a bike properly setup is of high importance for me too....and, when it's done it's still going to less expensive than some of the competitor's bikes.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The stocks are not Progressive, so these should not be either as per Nick.
Correct - both the stock springs and replacements are linear rate. I don't sell progressive springs. In my opinion, they should be reserved for cruisers, Goldwings, and passenger cars.

I've got some on the way myself. I'm telling you what .....between being "hooked on track" and Nick offering up all these goodies for the FZ, I may have to get into a 12 step program...........

Hi, my name is Vernon, and I have an addiction problem..........Motorcycles! :cool:
I'm Doug and I'm a recovering Accessory addict.
Speaking from experience, the only way to curb addiction is to become 'the dealer'. No time to get hooked...sadly.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts