Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Keep in mind, the rider's family is all about cars being more careful - and I'm perfectly okay with that. But, the rider on the Gamma was doing around 40mph OVER the posted speed limit in general and possibly 60 over at the point of impact (A SLOW zone was clearly marked in the lane before the intersection.)

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
So roughly he was doing about 100 mph in a 60mph section of road.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I saw this video the other day on and English web page. I agree that the guy's mom is hanging most of the blame on the driver of the car. It is true, that the car's driver failed to yield, and is mostly to blame.

That being said, the motorcyclist also shares in this. Bikes are so small, that they already trick drivers in to thinking they are farther away than they really are. You throw in some extra speed, and a bike closes the gap so much quicker than they expect.

My first accident was a guy who turned left in to me. The first thing he said was "I saw you coming up the road, I couldn't believe you were at the intersection already when I turned."

Expect the unexpected as much as you can. I remember telling a friend in my case that I was in the "right." He said, "yea, you were almost dead right."

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
People look at oncoming motorcycles and judge their speed as if it is a bicycle. Also, a small footprint does not give the driver the impression that the approaching object is a threat to their own safety unlike an automobile our a truck.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The driver got 12 month community sentence (not sure what this means?) and 18 month ban from the roads. It's good that at least some form of punishment was set forth on the driver - though i agree with the opinions above that he was excessively speeding on a road with cross traffic.

I will say - it's easy to point fingers - while i've done the same above - i've certainly been way over the speed limit on certain roads, i'd like to think that i'm smart in utilizing my brain in situations where i think it's ok to push the level of risk a bit higher, but a big part of it up until this point could simply be luck.

Anyway you slice it, it's a sad story and unfortunate for the rider and his family (and the driver of the car who hit him) to deal with.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The driver got 12 month community sentence (not sure what this means?) and 18 month ban from the roads. It's good that at least some form of punishment was set forth on the driver - though i agree with the opinions above that he was excessively speeding on a road with cross traffic.

I will say - it's easy to point fingers - while i've done the same above - i've certainly been way over the speed limit on certain roads, i'd like to think that i'm smart in utilizing my brain in situations where i think it's ok to push the level of risk a bit higher, but a big part of it up until this point could simply be luck.

Anyway you slice it, it's a sad story and unfortunate for the rider and his family (and the driver of the car who hit him) to deal with.
I have no doubt you exercise good judgement whenever possible -- Unfortunately, this Rider didn't. Evaluating ongoing circumstances and making sensible choices saves lives....many lives. This was very sad, but avoidable. :(

Reactions: MoFZio and clk

·
Registered
349 Posts
Our MSF Instructor said --- "over 70% of the accidents involve an oncoming car turning in front of you." After hearing and seeing this time and time again, I try to keep a lookout for those drivers not paying attention when I am riding. I think many drivers might have a problem with depth perception too.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Our MSF Instructor said --- "over 70% of the accidents involve an oncoming car turning in front of you." After hearing and seeing this time and time again, I try to keep a lookout for those drivers not paying attention when I am riding. I know Most drivers have a problem with depth perception too.
Fixed that last sentence for you. Hope you don't mind.:cool:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I am sure that distracted texters are going to replace the left hand turn as the number one cause of motorcycle fatalities. I am now paranoid of a texter weaving over or rear-ending me at a light.

·
Registered
464 Posts
its one thing to know people/friends that are hurt or even killed in motorcycle accidents but to see it happen in first person and then watch the body lay motionless just sends chills through my body. RIP , and as stated both were at fault, no sides taken. Just be careful especially when there is more than one direction other vehicles can approach

·
Registered
290 Posts
Let us remember that there is a victim on both sides here. The motorcyclist is dead and the driver of the car has to live with the fact they killed a human being. Regardless of fault, when someone dies like this both parties involved pay for their actions. At least the motorcyclist here won't spend a lifetime in agony over the accident, but the survivors will pay for it everyday for the rest of theirs.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Bad stuff.
Bad riding.
Bad driving.
Good reminder.

Reactions: edgyver
1 - 15 of 15 Posts