Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So first of all... forgive my ignorance. I got a new tire put on a little while back. Cleaned the chain for the first time since the other night and notice the chain felt a bit looser than normal. Has about 1-3/4" of play so definitely loose. Got to looking at the adjusters (never have adjusted a drive chain before), and noticed the bolt on the right side isn't even touching the adjuster. After reading through the steps and how to's for adjusting your drive chain I know this isn't correct. I will be picking up a 1" socket tonight so I can readjust, but wanted to ask how "big of a deal" 3/4" too loose really is.

Knowing the possible consequences of my lack of experience helps me remember these things so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
First off you need Metric sockets, not English. You can strip your nuts (really does hurt) if you use the wrong sockets. Go online or to Harbor Freight store and buy some sockets and wrenches.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
YouTube has videos on the proper procedure for tightening the chain, as well as determining the proper amount of slack with you sitting on the bike. Ditto, on metric tools. Also, look up the string method of proper wheel alignment. The axle markers are never correct. Last but not least, stick a screwdriver between the chain and rear sprocket on the bottom, roll the wheel back to bind the axle forward before you tighten the axle nut. That ensures that the wheel is flush with the adjusters.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, swear the maintenance manual I have said 1"; didn't even click that it wasn't metric :eek:. Do you recall the size I'd need? I have a good wrench/socket set, but it only goes up to 19mm.

Thanks for the tips Doug. Will be sure to do some more googling before I start pulling stuff of.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Mine is a 27mm or 1-1/16" socket for the rear axle nut. Since no one seemed to have a 27mm, I went with the 1-1/16" socket and it worked just fine.

There are quite a few metric to imperial socket sizes that are close enough to work. But I do recommend it only on larger nut sizes, since smaller nuts sizes require a more exacting fit. You are more likely to strip a smaller nut or bolt if the wrench fit isn't more precise. ( 1" = 25.4 mm )

For example, the rear axle nut on my DR650 is 24mm nut, but a 15/16" socket (which I already had) is a snug fit but does work. (15/16" = 0.9375" x 25.4 = 23.8125mm)

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
730 Posts
Once you get over about 7/8", many metric wrenches WILL interchange with metric. 27mm=1.063".
1 1/16"=1.0625".....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts