Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from a great trip around the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia (3600km)
Time to clean the drive chain... I was spraying Dupont o-ring safe cleaner on the chain when I saw some rubber coming out between some of the chain link.

It look like some of them failed and are cut. If I pull on it, it will break and end up having a small piece in hand. The complete o-ring doesn't seem to came off.

On my trip I bring a small can of Maxima Chain Wax, Noooo.... I did not lube it every 500km but I did try to lube it every day or so (700 to 800km) Also got some hard rain but only lube it at the end of the day.

So few questions...
What can cause this type of failure and how to prevent it?
What are your thoughts on the Maxima Chain Wax?
My bike is having around 14,500km, what should be the expected chain life?
Is some missing parts of o-ring can cause premature failure of the chain?
Would you use the 525VX 110LL with a clip or rivet style master link?
What is the tool you use to rivet the master link if you don't use clip style link?
What is the expected sproket life?

Any thoughts and useful advice to give me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used Maxim chain wax on my Hawk GT when I bought it (used- 6000 miles) back in '95. After a few applications- maybe 1000 miles- I started hearing a "clinking" sound at about 25 mph. Eventually traced it back to the chain which was somewhat stiff. Used WD40 to clean it off, and the clinking stopped. I've been using WD40 ever since, and the same (original) chain now has 43K miles on it and is still going strong. I've only had to adjust it three times in 36K miles.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you are losing o-rings it's toast. You can put a few more miles on it but it needs to be replaced. If the o-rings are cracking it's usually from drying out, meaning not lubed often enough, or a harsh cleaner or wire brush used to clean it. Riding in the rain will also wash the lube off pretty quickly. I've never used the chain wax. A really well maintained chain can go 20 to 40 thousand miles(don't know km) You need a rivet link on a streetbike, and the tool to rivet the pins.

·
Registered
619 Posts
+1 on the rivet link.

I use a scottoiler. it keeps the chain lubed continuously, lessening the chance of the o-rings drying out.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Pics would help. What percentage of the links have failing o-rings?

Sounds like the chain is shot.

Your questions...

Wear & tear usually, or a defective chain, or overly aggresive cleaning habits/tools. I think that if the chain was defective it would have started exhibiting this problem earlier than >9k miles. How often was the chain adjusted and to what specs? Personally, I think the factory spec is too tight and run mine looser. More info on this topic here: http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/477-how-tight-chain.html. A mal-adjusted or mis-aligned chain can develop problems as well. What is your chain cleaning method?

Flings too much for my taste, but should be fine and would not be the cause of the o-rings deteriorating and falling apart.

Depending on maintenance habits (not just lube, but also adjusting and aligning), and riding habits, a quality chain usually lasts 10k to 20k miles. (I'm sure someone will come along shortly and say their chains last 30k miles.... or forever). That being said... the stock chain is an average quality chain at best, so I'm not shocked it's starting to peter out at just over 9k miles. There are better chains out there.

Yes. Cracked or missing o-ring will allow the grease they are there to hold in to fling out. The grease-less links will overheat, start to bind, kink, you get the picture. I would replace the chain sooner rather than later.

Rivet only. Ever. But that's just me.

What is the tool you use to rivet the master link if you don't use clip style link?

I use this tool: Amazon.com: D.I.D Chain Cut and Rivet Tool KM500: Automotive It's small, is a chain breaker AND riveter, has lasted forever, and is f*ck up proof (in that you cannot over press a chain link plate and pinch o-rings, and you can't rivet pinheads off-center). Shop around though.... I think I only paid like $80-$90 buck for mine and Amazon wants $156

Here's a good video review that is also a good tutorial on how to use the tool properly

What is the expected sprocket life?

As a general rule, you should replace the chain and sprockets together.

Buy a good quality chain this go round... and let us know what cleaners and tools your using to clean your chain...

·
Registered
657 Posts

Too hard a cleaning brush, not enough lube, environmental conditions. Keep chain clean and lubed regularily.

Used it for several years. No complaints. It does dry out after seasonal storage, so a re-apply at start of riding season is a good idea.

My first OEM chain was done between 20-25,000Km's. Previous owner would pressure wash it before lubing. Don't do that!
Chain life mileage will varry. I've gotten 20-30,000+ Km's out of chains.

Generally from my experience, when the o-rings start deteriorating, it's a sign that the chain is nearing/at the end of it's life. If you are noticing kinks in the chain links, then it's time to start looking for a new chain. There's also stretch tolorances that can be measured.

Rivet only for this guy. More secure. Not that a clip is going to come loose, but a rivet is less likely to. Some guys put a dab of silicone over the clip for added peace of mind.

motionpro.com
View attachment 9320

What is the expected sproket life?

Same as chain. Replace together. Kits are ~$200 for both sporckets and chains.

Keep it clean and keep it lubed. I use kerosene and a brush.

View attachment 9321

As for chains, I've always stuck with D.I.D. I did try the ZVMX, which is suppose to be a higher tensile strength and longer life chain, but I didn't get any better life out of it compared to the VX. Started to kink prematurely in my opinion.

For the FZ, I'll prob stick with the 525 pitch.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
As others have said rivet for sure, far safer.

I understand that replacing the chain and sprockets together will give you the maximum life out of the new parts, but in the past I've successfully violated that rule-of-thumb. It's been about 12 years, I forget the details, first gen SV650 I think I replaced the chain but kept the sprockets for the life of 2 chains, after the first chain the sprocket teeth were still well shaped. I don't recall the life of the 2nd chain being noticeably different than the first.

If you are considering keeping your sprockets maybe post close up photos of your teeth, you want them to be fairly symmetrical. Do what you are comfortable with, not worth a huge argument, YMMV etc.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I run a ruler through the center of my sprockets to check the teeth for wear. Curved on one side lets me know that it is time to replace. First chain I usually replace the rear sprocket, and second chain replacement, I do both sprockets unless they are overly worn. Rivet only as it is a safety thing for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Pics would help.
Auto part Automotive engine part Metal Transmission part Wheel Water Auto part Wheel Tire Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Crankset Auto part Brake

What percentage of the links have failing o-rings?
About 5 links have an o-ring failed

Sounds like the chain is shot.
Araaaaggghhhhh don't need that...

What is your chain cleaning method?
Dupont o-ring safe cleaner + grunge brush... I don't think grunge brush is the culprit. Before the 3,600km trip they where all in good shape. I saw the failed o-ring before cleaning the chain once back home.

After thought. On the trip I had my Maxima lube but one of the rider with us was saying that lube in the center of the chain would be good enough. We where not stoping for long time so I was spraying the outside side correctly, the inside side was more difficult to do a good job without my paddock stand. So this side was kind of meuhh meuhhh job...

The "inside side" chain o-ring must have dried and failed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts