Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed when my bike is parked in the sun all day it drips something from one of the hoses by the shifter. I haven't traced which hose it is yet. The substance smells like gas but feels oily, so I think it's a nice blend of gas and oil. It looks to be a medium brown colour. Does anybody else have this happening? It has never dripped in my garage, only outside when the bike is in the sun.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Mine happened in my shop, but it gets hot in there. Seems like oil to me. I found that when I changed my oil while on a rear stand, not all of the oil drained, and I put in the exact amount called for in the service manual, thus overfilling the crankcase by a few ounces. I believe mine went through the engine breather into the airbox where it drained out the overflow tube down to the sprocket. I forgot to open my airbox the last time I had it off, but when I unplugged the tubes, it felt a little oily. I sucked out the excess oil from my engine with a syringe and a long tube attached. It has since stopped.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing. Ride 25 miles to work, after work some drips on the ground by the kickstand. Drive home and park in the garage overnight no drips. 250 miles on bike.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, weird. When I changed the oil (at 300km, 1200km ago) I recall that I did put in slightly more than what the manual calls for, but I was using the sight glass to confirm the level. I'm changing the oil again tonight so I'll try leaving the level a bit lower in the window this time and see how it goes. If it is coming from the air box it makes sense that it would smell like gas but feel like oil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've noticed when my bike is parked in the sun all day it drips something from one of the hoses by the shifter. I haven't traced which hose it is yet. The substance smells like gas but feels oily, so I think it's a nice blend of gas and oil. It looks to be a medium brown colour. Does anybody else have this happening? It has never dripped in my garage, only outside when the bike is in the sun.

Thanks
See the following post
http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/1943-liquid-ground-under-little-tubes-kickstand.html

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG... I searched like crazy for a bunch of variations of "dripping from hose" and found nothing. Never would have guessed to search for liquid from little tubes...LOL Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
When mine is parked in driveway I get the same leak.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not worried that there's anything wrong, but it's quite annoying. I've never owned a bike that did this as "normal". I'm concerned about using a kickstand plate when proper summer gets here. It's so close to the kickstand that it might drip on my plate. :mad: I might look at rerouting the hoses and making a drip catch bottle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts