Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to change my oil today with my kid to teach her the basics of motorcycling maintenance. We got the tools, explained what we were doing, and got to work. I tried to get the oil drain plug off going "left is loose". Threw tools, said "dab nabbit" about 50 times, and finally got it loose but it just kept spinning. Said whatever forget it and went "right is tight" low and behold the plug came off.

We replaced the oil and put everything back on. The drain plug wont tighten anymore then hand plus a bit from the socket (Has a new crush washer which was bigger than the one that was on but was bought from yamaha parts dept). Can not torque to spec. Turned it on let it run, no leak. Rode around for about 5 mins and parked it. No leak but I did notice some oil on the outside of the plug which wasn't there prior to riding.

Any suggestions...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Translation: I used a box wrench, and working upside down I thought I was turning it the correct way, but apparently not.
That's why if you can use a ratchet, you won't accidentally tighten the bolt instead.

Reactions: Whirlwind

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Finally got it loose but it just kept spinning. Said whatever forget it and went "right is tight" low and behold the plug came off.
Translation: After tightening to the point of stripping out all the threads, it came right out. Low and behold I need a repair kit.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yeah, you turned it the wrong way. Helicoil. I'd fix it now, not later, since the integrity is compromised. You are correct, right is tight, left is loose. You turned it right... Woops

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
you're not the first one to do this, and you probably wont be the last...just buy a new oil pan and hang the old one on the wall as a reminder.
You need to remove it to fix it properly anyway, so might as well just replace it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I made that mistake before. Bought a new pan and kept the old one. I'm going to put a time sert in the stock one eventually and keep it as back up. I know I'll do it again. I bought the pan and gasket from Honda of East Toledo (another forum member recommended it) because they offered the best prices.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd get a new pan then take he old one to a machine shop and have it drilled out and retapped for a bigger plug, then you'll have a solid back up.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I know I'll do it again.
Don't think like that...use a socket/ratchet, and double/triple check that the ratchet is configured to loosen (not tighten) the bolt. Then when everything is upside down you won't make a mistake. I can't imagine how many oil changes I've done over the last 45 years of owning cars, bikes, vans, trucks and I've never done that.

A few oil change tips:
1) have everything you need prior to pulling the plug
2) change the oil when its hot....not cold
3) pre-loosen the filter, but don't break the seal
4) using a nail punch a small hole into the filter and let it drain
5) pre-fill the new filter while oil is draining...never install dry...one of the reasons I always do my own oil changes
6) use only a socket/ratchet for drain plug and filter removal...purchase a filter socket
7) ensure that the old filter gasket came off the vehicle prior to installing the new filter (critical)
8) keep vehicle key in a "different" location until the oil change is complete...that way someone won't crank up the vehicle
9) install drain plug and seal washer prior to pouring in new oil....yea, made that mistake
10) look at each oil container prior to pour...to ensure its the correct item...don't mix oil containers with other similar item like transmission fluid. Keep seperate.

see how easy....

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
^^^^

I agree. It's one bolt... It's an oil change. Probably the last thing you should ever pay for, unless your kids college fund is already funded.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's not really about the money, it's about knowing you are using quality oil and filter. I have never had someone else do my oil changes.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I've never taken a bike to a dealer. Nor an auto, unless it was for a deep internal failure in the engine or transmission. 90% of repairs, Id do in my garage. Oil, brakes (rotors, pads, shoes, lines), broken internal door linkages, timing belts...

Good point on the oil and filter. I just changed those in our vehicles, about the same cost as the oil change barns, however I got to choose GOOD filters and GOOD oil, so a better value.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It's not really about the money, it's about knowing you are using quality oil and filter. I have never had someone else do my oil changes.
Agreed...I do my own also, but I'll add that if paying for oil changes is going to have an effect on your child's college fund, then perhaps you should not have bought a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
if paying for oil changes is going to have an effect on your child's college fund, then perhaps you should not have bought a motorcycle.
Well, perhaps the part about child's college fund was somewhat of an exaggeration, but no long ago I had four vehicles (still have three), a motorcycle, a riding lawn mower w/filter, etc...and if I had to pay for oil changes it would impact me. In two of my vehicles I'm now using Mobil 1 extended life, and going 12K (or one year) between changes. That was a help.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts