Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently bought a used 2014 Fz-09 and it seems to have a weird problem when I accelerate. It gets much less noticeable once I reach higher speeds and is most noticeable in the lower gears.Its very difficult to describe.
When I pull on the throttle it feels like the engine (or maybe something else) is dragging and I can feel and hear a vibration and sound coming from somewhere. Its like the bike is struggling against something to accelerate. This only occurs when I pull the throttle and happens in all modes. With the clutch handle in and coasting I don't notice it as well.

Any thoughts? Or is this normal?

Thank you

·
Registered
673 Posts
Check oil level and drive chain first.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Time for a clear air filter and a set of fresh plugs?

How many miles on you 09 when you bought it?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Put the bike on a rear stand and check the chain and rear tire. Chain should move freely as you turn the rear wheel and you should not feel any binding. Check alignment too. Second, possible clutch issue, but I would think that you could perceive slippage with engine RPM change and feel.

vibration says . your loosing a cylinder on accell . ignition issues show up under load .
Does this engine management system detect ignition issues...that is, misfire? If so, then I would think it would throw a code.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
What revs does this happen at, when does it clear? Is the bike running cleanly or has it dropped a cyl? Mine has a low freq rumble at low revs, but it feels like a Triumph triple, it must be a triple thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What revs does this happen at, when does it clear? Is the bike running cleanly or has it dropped a cyl? Mine has a low freq rumble at low revs, but it feels like a Triumph triple, it must be a triple thing.
I think it usually happens up to 3000 rpm or so, can't quite recall. How can I tell if it dropped a cylinder?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I think it usually happens up to 3000 rpm or so, can't quite recall. How can I tell if it dropped a cylinder?
You'll know on a triple, it'll be really rough and gutless, and will smoothen out and take off when it cuts back in.
It's hard to tell, but it sounds the same as mine, a little flat and rumbly at very low revs.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I've checked the oil level and appears to be at the middle of the sight glass. Chain seems fine, about 1 inch in movement
Get the wheel off the ground and turn it with your hand. It will be hard to turn if there is a problem. If you do not have a stand, get a friend to put their foot behind the kickstand, grab the front brake, turn the wheel left, pull the bike into their hip lifting the back wheel off the ground, and turn the wheel yourself. Disclaimer: if he drops it, it is not my fault, because this is a sketchy way to do it, but was the preferred method prior to spools.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You'll know on a triple, it'll be really rough and gutless, and will smoothen out and take off when it cuts back in.
It's hard to tell, but it sounds the same as mine, a little flat and rumbly at very low revs.
If it dropped a cylinder, you will have big puffs of smoke out of the exhaust when you shift under load.

·
Registered
154 Posts
3000 is pretty low, that's lugging territory in 3rd-6th...

Reactions: 1duckyboy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems that the vibrations are coming from the right side and I mainly feel it in the right handle and where my right foot is, which made me worry it might have something to do with the clutch. It's also not a consistent buzz, like on and then off constantly until after 5k rpm

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it dropped a cylinder, you will have big puffs of smoke out of the exhaust when you shift under load.
After being in the rain yesterday, the bike did smoke for a little bit in the morning, but it stopped after a minute. If the bike was having a clutch issue, somebody mentioned a possible slipping clutch, since i do feel a vibration by my right foot and at the right handle, is there a way to tell?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Smoke in the morning is okay during warmup if it is whiteish denoting condensation. Blackish or brownish smoke denotes oil.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
After being in the rain yesterday, the bike did smoke for a little bit in the morning, but it stopped after a minute. If the bike was having a clutch issue, somebody mentioned a possible slipping clutch, since i do feel a vibration by my right foot and at the right handle, is there a way to tell?
clutch slip happens under power. if you nail the throttle hard and the engine revs up quickly but the bike doesn't accelerate, that's clutch slip. like if you revved up the engine with the clutch pulled in.

we've already had a couple of cases of broken clutch plates on bikes that were clutch wheelied a lot. might be the same case here. i'd suggest pulling the clutch cover and having a look. but do as others have suggested above first.

if you lost a cylinder, you'd get a very large power loss and there would be more vibration. if this is your first 100hp bike (or first bike, full stop) and this has been happening since you bought it, you might not even know what a properly running 09 feels like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts