Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be taking my bike down to the strip this Saturday, if work doesnt call that is, and I was wondering what I need to pay attention to and any special tricks to racing a bike. Ive dragged race my Camaro before and really other than trying to launch without spinning the only thing I did was flat foot shift. So i didnt lift off the gas any during shifting. I imagine it will be alot different on the bike. Should I be concerned about wheel spin it all? Ive never really tried to launch the bike hard. Should I drop the tire pressure? Other than avoiding a wheelie in 1st and 2nd should I shift any certain way, this engine revs so much fast than a V8 car I dont see where I would need to keep the throttle pinned. Any advice is welcome!

And what safety gear do you typically wear? I was planning on breaking out my track day leather suit, SMX5 5 boots and gloves.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Practice hard launches before you get to the track so you don't flip it. Strap down the front end. Same gear as on track days, but you might look into a cervical collar... Wheelspin and wheelies don't move you forward and make you more apt to lose control - avoid them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't worry about wheel spin, it isn't going to happen lol. The bike will wheelie a bit though. Try a strap after you've tried a few runs without one. Not really "needed".

·
Registered
734 Posts
fill the front the front tire full of water , the weight would keep the front end down .HE HE :confused::eagerness:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't worry about wheel spin, it isn't going to happen lol. The bike will wheelie a bit though. Try a strap after you've tried a few runs without one. Not really "needed".
You mean take a ratchet strap and compress the front suspension? And make a pass like that?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pretty much. There are straps specific for bikes. Instead of hooks, they have eyelets that bolt to your brake calipers. Good for lowering the front 3 inches. Only strap it for your pass.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Use A Mode, throttle hard, slip the clutch to keep front end down (abuse the clutch). When staged, have left foot in front of peg, right foot behind, this will keep you from rolling at the staging lights. Use practice runs to time the lights, try going when the last yellow comes on. A red light during practice doesn't matter. You will go through first gear very quickly, with your foot in front of peg, pull straight up to shift to second. Make sure the bike is completely vertical, some will use a line level taped to their handlebars. At the end, stop racing, go slow on return road. When picking up your time slip, ask about the trap lights. There should be three, first and third light are the trap lights, for top end speed. The second light is the end of the quarter mile. Practice, Practice, Practice. Good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
DavidZ28, as said earlier, practice dead stop launches a few times before hand. In "A" mode expect the front wheel up in 1st 2nd and 3rd without the strap. If you have the ability to pick up a strap I'd suggest it. No burnout is necessary. Don't even bother cleaning the tire off. Just roll AROUND the burnout box. Not THROUGH... When I get to the line, I like to hold the back brake and load the clutch with the RPMs at about 2500. When I say load the clutch I mean release it enough that you barely feel it trying to bite. When the last yellow lights up, modulate the throttle and smoothly release the clutch. The ideal launch will actually slightly bog the engine. Don't try to chase the revs, if you release the clutch too late, your RPMs will jump up really fast which will result in a giant wheelie. The key to getting this bike down track is a smooth transition from clutch in to clutch out and WOT. Its should be one fluid motion, but it never is (for me at least) Most importantly.... HAVE FUN. Oh, and check that your local track doesn't require a Kill switch lanyard for bike slower than 10.99. Leathers are required for anything trapping over 150 (which we know is not physically possible with an FZ)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DavidZ28, How did your day at the drag strip work out?

Best ET?
Unfortunately the day was rained out.... got to the track at a light sprinkle and it never let up :( On a side note Blue Ridge I see your from Asheville, Im from Waynesville! My parents still live in Bethel if you know where that is

·
Registered
72 Posts
Waynesville is close. Meet relatives in Pigeon Forge this past weekend and drove back home on US 19.

Better luck, weather wise the next time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know that the weather is unfortunately cooling down, I want to take mine to the strip either next month or next year.

First i am glad i read up on this due to i would have never had known about these straps.

Are they necessary for someone just starting out? I have never dragged before

Would it be more beneficial for me to go to a test and tune one or twice to get the feel for it then when it starts getting real and i got the hang of it to really test it out invest in the straps?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts