Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode down to Acto raceway in south jersey today to get a few runs in. So a few thoughts after these runs. Firstly, its theoretically possible to run the "advertised" 10.6 second run, its going to require at least a 1.7 second 60 foot. That leads me to my next point that it is probably impossible to launch that hard without strapping the front and getting lower bars and such. The first run, launched nice and smooth, front tire skipping on the ground in 1st gear, full throttle with the front wheel planted in 2nd. I tried to give it a slightly harder launch on my second run which resulted in a wheelie. On my third run, I slipped the clutch a bit more, had slight clutch shudder, but again, front wheel skipping on the ground in 1st, 2nd gear full throttle with the front end down, banging each gear fast without the clutch. I'm sure with some practice I think the 60 foot would come down a little bit, maybe 2.1 or 2.0 but I'm thinking if I want to drag race again, I think a strap would help and also maybe try a 17 tooth front sprocket. Yes I know, "gear it taller?, you're dumb". I think it would make first gear more manageable and eliminate the need to shift into 5th gear at the end of the track. overall I'm happy since its my first time drag racing a bike and the mph is in the neighborhood of where it should be on a hot day.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
man there is a lot of science that goes into drag racing that I have no clue about...I guess what's most important...that I would ask...is did you have fun?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Would be interesting to do a run in each of the 3 modes, A, STD, and B to see the difference.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ride on!

I drag raced cars and motorcycles every chance I got back in the 1970's and I loved every minute of it. I read somewhere the FZ-09 could run a 10.2 second 1/4 mile but the speed was about the same as yours. I'd be pleased with your speed and time especially if it was my first time on a motorcycle. Ride on! :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Rode down to Acto raceway in south jersey today to get a few runs in. So a few thoughts after these runs. Firstly, its theoretically possible to run the "advertised" 10.6 second run, its going to require at least a 1.7 second 60 foot. That leads me to my next point that it is probably impossible to launch that hard without strapping the front and getting lower bars and such. The first run, launched nice and smooth, front tire skipping on the ground in 1st gear, full throttle with the front wheel planted in 2nd. I tried to give it a slightly harder launch on my second run which resulted in a wheelie. On my third run, I slipped the clutch a bit more, had slight clutch shudder, but again, front wheel skipping on the ground in 1st, 2nd gear full throttle with the front end down, banging each gear fast without the clutch. I'm sure with some practice I think the 60 foot would come down a little bit, maybe 2.1 or 2.0 but I'm thinking if I want to drag race again, I think a strap would help and also maybe try a 17 tooth front sprocket. Yes I know, "gear it taller?, you're dumb". I think it would make first gear more manageable and eliminate the need to shift into 5th gear at the end of the track. overall I'm happy since its my first time drag racing a bike and the mph is in the neighborhood of where it should be on a hot day.
This is in my neck of the woods! I have driven by this place quite a few times, looks like fun!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Finally... Its good to see someone taking the FZ down the track. I'm looking to get mine back from Brocks Performance tomorrow. It'll be getting strapped, lowered and stretched a few inches for its maiden voyage down the track. I don't see any other way of getting a sub 2.0 60ft. They just finished up my exhaust and PCV. The bike made a touch over 120 whp. We're hoping to have the speed limiter removed and then it'll get an MR12 racegas tune that should net about 8-10 more whp. I'm hoping to get the bike to go 9.90s. Obviously not with me riding. I'm a bit too heavy to expect those times from it. If I can go 10.30s I'll be happy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I'll be going again, when the weather isn't as warm. I also want to run it at the standing mile in Ohio next year, once this speed limiter is figured out

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That is a great job for your first time out. What rear tire were you using?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stock bridgestone, no burnout. Traction won't be an issue until you're cutting 1.7 or 1.6 second 60 foot times

·
Registered
187 Posts
Gievsfz

Could you please let me know if the 17 tooth sprocket installed without much trouble? I'd like to gear my bike up a bit (for lower R's on the freeway), but it looks like everything down there is engineered around the sprocket sizes. Also, I'm having trouble finding a passing time for the FZ (like 45 - 75 mph in fourth) or something like that. I think my bile has gotten very slow, but don't know how to easily test it.

Thanks a bunch!

Fred

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gievsfz

Could you please let me know if the 17 tooth sprocket installed without much trouble? I'd like to gear my bike up a bit (for lower R's on the freeway), but it looks like everything down there is engineered around the sprocket sizes. Also, I'm having trouble finding a passing time for the FZ (like 45 - 75 mph in fourth) or something like that. I think my bile has gotten very slow, but don't know how to easily test it.

Thanks a bunch!

Fred
Put the 17 tooth gear on today, probably took 20 minutes. Need a few basic hand tools. 27mm socket to loosen the rear axle and slide the rear wheel forward. Couple of Allens to remove the shift rod and front sprocket . Then a 30mm socket on a breaker bar to break the front sprocket nut loose. Make sure to put the bike in gear while doing this. Should come right off. The front plastic chain guide will not fitwith the larger sprocket. Just put that in your tool box lol. The gear fit on my stock chain due to having 4500 miles on it and being slightly stretched.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks giebsfz.

What do you think now that you've ridden it? Is first too tall? Is sixth better for the freeway?

Fred

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also, I'd like to hear your quarter mile experience with this gearing and the strap. Is it easier to launch? Do you hit redline in fourth before the finish line or the second trap (do they still use those?)
Thanks,

Fred

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not to hi-jack your thread, but I'm headed to the track today. A little spec. about me and the bike... ME: 5'10 about 230 lbs in full gear. Moderately experienced rider, (hardly a pro, but I've been on 2 wheels since 7 years old) The bike: 398 lbs wet. Made 122.xx to the tire. Stock wheelbase, stock height, stock gearing. Speed limiter still in place:(.... We shall see what the old girl has in her.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice, definitely post your results. I'm about 200 in gear, interested to see how mph compares. I'll be going again soon to test the gear change and then the strap. Lowering the front 3 inches should help a lot

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, I made it to the track... And I was disappointed to say the least. Specs of rider and bike above. So, I got the bike down to a 1.91 60ft. And that was a victory in itself. Down track, I fought 2nd gear wheelies all day. (this is where that 17t sprocket would help) After getting the bike settled in 2nd, it was smooth sailing. All the way to a blistering 11.51 @ 119 MPH. I definately feel like there is some more in the bike, but can't figure out where my MPH is going. I know I weigh a bit more than the other riders I've seen numbers posted from, but 6-7 mph? The first few passes, I forgot to put the bike in "A" mode. Those passes REALLY sucked. We'll be back to the track next weekend for some more playing around.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts