Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone that's put Rizoma drag bars (or any flatter bars) on their XSR. What clutch cable did you use? I read somewhere that the FJ-09 cable is a bit shorter and won't have a nasty bend like the stock would. Only read it in one place and just want to be sure before I buy the FJ-09 cable.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,321 Posts
What year XSR do you have, and does it have the latest cable?

My 2016 had the original cable, which just had a slight kink in the metal tube as it exited the lever perch. It was a pain getting it situated when I changed to a set of Universal Low MX bars. The cable sleeve wanted to bend right at the point where it left the metal tube.

Then I found out they had superseded the original cable at some point (not sure which model year) to one that has a gently curved metal section that bends about 90°. This newer cable made things easier, though I did have to route it slightly differently from the original location, since the clutch lever was further inboard.

Later still, I switched bars to the Hurricane Swallow, and again this 90° cable wasn’t too hard to line up. So that would be the first step, to see which cable you have now…

Original…
Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Latest version (as of 2020)…
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What year XSR do you have, and does it have the latest cable?

My 2016 had the original cable, which just had a slight kink in the metal tube as it exited the lever perch. It was a pain getting it situated when I changed to a set of Universal Low MX bars. The cable sleeve wanted to bend right at the point where it left the metal tube.

Then I found out they had superseded the original cable at some point (not sure which model year) to one that has a gently curved metal section that bends about 90°. This newer cable made things easier, though I did have to route it slightly differently from the original location, since the clutch lever was further inboard.

Later still, I switched bars to the Hurricane Swallow, and again this 90° cable wasn’t too hard to line up. So that would be the first step, to see which cable you have now…

Original…
View attachment 168188

Latest version (as of 2020)…
View attachment 168190
I have a 2021. It has the 90° bend metal. Maybe I just need to play around with the cable routing! Just seems like stuff the excess down into the frame could cause an issue. Might be over thinking it tho.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,321 Posts
If anything, an FJ cable would be even longer than ours. I think you should be able to use your cable with some creative routing…

(or wait to see if the expected R9 has a cable, that one could work)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anything, an FJ cable would be even longer than ours. I think you should be able to use your cable with some creative routing…

(or wait to see if the expected R9 has a cable, that one could work)
Yeah, I misread that. It's definitely longer than our cable. Thanks for the input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts