Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is quite weird, but Apple is telling people with iPhones 7 and later that vibration from “high-power and high-volume“ motorcycle engines can be transmitted through phone mounts to the phone, and it could fry the electrics in your phone’s camera. What???

Take it for what it’s worth. They don’t specify what “high power“ is - horsepower? RPM? - or what “high volume” is either. Is there a displacement cutoff? Number of cylinders? Engine configuration?

More fun in the 21st century! 🙄

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,193 Posts
I was never impressed with the iPhone. I just gave mine back at work and got a Samsung which have been my personal phones for years.

I got hit in a parking lot on my XSR900, went completely over the car, did a complete flip in the air and landed on my back and ass with my Galaxy in my back pocket. Pulled it out and called my GF and told her that I was getting loaded into an ambulance. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This the same Samsung that makes appliances and TV’s? Thanks, I’ll pass.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is quite weird, but Apple is telling people with iPhones 7 and later that vibration from “high-power and high-volume“ motorcycle engines can be transmitted through phone mounts to the phone, and it could fry the electrics in your phone’s camera. What???

Take it for what it’s worth. They don’t specify what “high power“ is - horsepower? RPM? - or what “high volume” is either. Is there a displacement cutoff? Number of cylinders? Engine configuration?

More fun in the 21st century! 🙄
I learned a good lesson a while back whilst touring europe using a mobile iPhone. It stopped working & never worked again, caused me a lot of problems & i need the phone to book hotels enroute, take the odd call or send a message & i need sat nav facilities so at a stroke i was knackered.
I bought a tom tom rider 450 & never looked back on the navigation front. Proper sat nav for navigating & a phone for calls, google etc.
Best not to have all your eggs in one basket.

Toecutter.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Had ipads and iphone for work and I hatted them ! always had a Samsung for personal use and have had zero problems...I have heard that mounting your phone on the bike can couse problems with most phones ...Have had several around here that trashed them is some ways having them mounted on the bars !!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Y’all want to know a strange fact about @ChesterBurnet ?

He rides with his phone hanging out of his back pocket and says he’s done this for years without a problem. Crazy.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I've used phones as a dedicated screen for my bike radar detector for years without problems, but this thing of having a phone within reach on a bike strikes me as asking for trouble.
I don't even want calls when I'm riding, I'll check when I stop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I work @ a shop that sells alot, ALOT of phone mounts - RAM, Tech, Mob, etc - like hundreds a year, and have heard just a few rumblings from customers about their iphone cameras malfunctioning. Not many mind you, just a handful, but them shits can be expensive enough to really piss those few ppl off. They want to blame us and the mounts we sell, I direct them to Apple's website, stare at them as they read it, and then casually say "well there you have it."

Since be coming aware of the potential issue, I've been cautioning iphone owners that "it can be a thing" and let them decide.

myself, I keep my shit in pocket, ringer usually off, sometimes powered off completely. Not because I'm being cautious with my phone, I just take every opportunity I can to disconnect from the phone and being on the bike is the best time.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
63 Posts
Can speak from experience. The optical image stabilization is completely shot on my Iphone X from what I'm assuming was being mounted to my bars. The camera still works but if you don't hold it perfectly still, the image on the screen shakes uncontrollably. Can still squeak out some pics in portrait, but in landscape its almost unusable.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Says the man who rides a motorbike made by the same people who make (checks) pianos, french horns and guitars?
That went right overhead. 😝

I guess I should have said, “Is this the same Samsung who make Samsung appliances and TV’s”... It’s not that they make other things. It’s that the other things have had questionable quality, in my experience, so I don’t trust their phones. That was the joke. 😉

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Um, I wanna go back to this point in the conversation - if this is what it looks like following Chester then I need to move to the East Coast so I can ride with him on a regular basis.
*Actor portrayal. Actual product may vary.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts