Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about 60F when I back the bike out of the garage and start it ready for the ride to work.

Odd thing is, it doesn't want to fire up right away. I crank it for about 5 seconds with no throttle touching and nothing. Stop cranking, then do it again and it fires right up and doesn't miss a beat the rest of the ride.

It did this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week - purchased it on Tuesday. Very odd, I'm sure it's something simple as it doesn't do this at the end of the work day and I start it to come home.

Something else that is odd, is that the starter will run without the clutch being pulled in and the bike will start that way. I usually end up disconnecting the clutch interconnect switch, but I haven't done that yet, honest your honor. It isn't supposed to work that way right?

I'm begining to suspect the interlock switch might have an early hour failure.
May have to run over to the dealer Saturday, see if he has an opinion.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can't provide input on the cold starts as I don't have mine yet.. I'm sure the guys in the north can chime in since they are colder then we are right now.. But if it's in neutral starting while just pulling the brake with kick stand down is normal.. At least on newer bikes that I've had/ridden.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine has done that exact thing once so far, on probably the coldest morning yet. I can see you are used to Triumphs and Suzukis, the only 2 brands I know of that always require you to pull in the clutch to start. Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki have always let you start in neutral without pulling the clutch. Don't need to pull the brake, unless it's a scooter. Goes back to late 70s, early 80s when the safety stuff started appearing on bikes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yeah mine has done that twice but one the second time it did it it was warm i had just got to a buddys house getting readdy to go for a ride and when i tried to fire it up it just truned for a while i cut the switch then back on and it started right up havent really thought much of it maybe a electrical kink.. i dunnno

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine has done that exact thing once so far, on probably the coldest morning yet. I can see you are used to Triumphs and Suzukis, the only 2 brands I know of that always require you to pull in the clutch to start. Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki have always let you start in neutral without pulling the clutch. Don't need to pull the brake, unless it's a scooter. Goes back to late 70s, early 80s when the safety stuff started appearing on bikes.
correct brake is not necessary lol.. posted that after working on my wife's scooter and had it in my head..

·
Registered
570 Posts
This may be totally irrelevant but what the hell...

When I had my 2001 Honda VFR800 it was a real bastard to start in the morning, took forever on a cold Oregon morning. I finally realized the problem was that I was using premium fuel; when I switched to regular it started much more easily. And yes, I verified this over the course of several different tanks of gas, to make sure the problem wasn't just from a tankful of contaminated premium.

Just throwing that out there...but it does make sense because higher octane fuels are more resistant to ignition.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I waited for the priming to finish also, the display to do that jigsaw thing etc etc and it wouldn't go. except on the second kick.
I had other stuff to do today otherwise I would have gone over to see the dealer to see if he had any thoughts - but ran out of time.

Perhaps I had the red switch in the no run position ;) ...

·
Registered
275 Posts
The fuel system should be up to full pressure before you can move your hand from the key to the start button, pretty fast. It's not cold enough here for me to duplicate the problem, it's done it once, but what if you just tap the starter for 1/2 second or so and stop then try to start it? Someone want to see if that helps?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I was having issues with mine too, even with advice from one of the mechanics who has a FZ1. He had told me to cycle the ignition twice, then start... he just didn't tell me how fast to do it which turned out to be important.
Try this:
With the kill switch in the on position, turn on the ignition and let it cycle until the fuel pump stops. Turn the ignition off, then right back on again. As soon as the fuel pump stops, hit the start. Works every time for me, even when it's near freezing. HTH :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The temperature of 60f should not give these problems at all.
Here in UK we've been down under 45f(7) degrees a couple of times, and I've not had a problem with starting at all.

In fact, I've never had a bike that starts so easy and so fast after touching the button, even at these low temps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mine did the same thing last week, I noticed the fuel pump did not kick on after turning key on, and it dident start. after it failed to start then I heard pump kick on and then it started no prob. I wonder if thats whats going on for you guys also

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm here in Tx and it has been in the 70s and low 80s and my bike has NOT started on the first try since I started at the dealership to ride it home. Thinking about that they did already start it there before I took it. Maybe it needs the fuel injection synchronized.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Throttle body sync. won't really have any effect on starting, mostly just on idle smoothness. That thing about the fuel pump not cycling is interesting, though. The one time my bike did it I didn't notice whether the pump came on. My bike has started instantly 4 mornings in a row from 25 to 35 degrees, sitting outside.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts