Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the throttle on my #93 will not snap back when released if the bars are hard over to the left. Center and right are fine... the throttle snaps back as it should, but it sticks if the bars are all the way over to the left. Could you check yours and report back? I'd like to know if it's a common problem (and therefore a stock routing issue), or if it's just my setup in need of adjustment. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did you adjust out too much of the throttle's slack? Not sure if that's possible to have it only show symptoms with the bars in one position though. I'd adjust the slack out a bit and try again.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Mothy, I noticed after I initially adjusted the slop out of the throttle, and checked full left and full right for any sticking or slow return that it was fine in the driveway at home, but the next day as I was leaving work and had started the bike to let it warm up with the bars still all the way hard left that the throttle was slow to snap back completely-so I loosened the adjuster a bit and it was fine. Possibly your issue as well? My guess is with the bars full lock left it must be putting more tension on the cable than with it full right or center...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mothy, I noticed after I initially adjusted the slop out of the throttle, and checked full left and full right for any sticking or slow return that it was fine in the driveway at home, but the next day as I was leaving work and had started the bike to let it warm up with the bars still all the way hard left that the throttle was slow to snap back completely-so I loosened the adjuster a bit and it was fine. Possibly your issue as well? My guess is with the bars full lock left it must be putting more tension on the cable than with it full right or center...
That's a possibility I was concerned about... I have taken most (if not all) of the slack out of my cables in an attempt to smooth the throttle response. It doesn't change the engine speed, but the cable seems to be binding. I'll back it off tomorrow to see if that helps...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I spent an hour on it yesterday- lubing the cables and throttle tube, and making sure slack was adjusted out. Turned to the left, the throttle binds a bit and will not snap all the way back when released. Must be something with the cable routing that's causing a slight kink when turned left. I haven't touched the routing at all. Haven't dug deeper in to it as it's a minor annoyance at this time.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
same here. it's what happens when you adjust most of the slack out of the cable when the bars are pointed straight forward.

but does it really matter that the throttle won't snap back all the way by itself at full lock? only time you'll be at full lock is when you're doing a tight u-turn, and in that situation, you'd be covering the clutch and rear brake to control your speed. and you can always close the throttle with your wrist.

·
Registered
420 Posts
HMM. The FZ09 does not have much of a steering lock anyway. I had to grind down the steering stop on many of my off-road bikes in order to make it easier to thread thru the pine trees in east Texas. After your experience, I'd say this sounds like an engineering compromise due to some mis-design of the throttle-by-wire system. lf the throttle cable was long enough, there shouldn't be a problem even with all slack removed. Good thing I didn't attempt to grind down the stops on the FZ09 for better parking lot performance.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
IMO it is normal for cable play to vary as you turn the bars. On the 09 minimizing the throttle cable play helps with throttle control, but if you adjust the play to minimum with the bars straight it's no surprise it might be a bit tight with the bars turned. When I adjust cables I test with bars straight ahead and at both locks. I prefer to have throttle snap through the full range.

Cables work best when straight (I mean when the whole cable is straight) but of course that isn't how they are on a bike. Tighter bends or a greater number of bends increases drag and wear and decreases play.

On my 09 I've switched to clubman bars, redone the area above the headlight including moving the speedo to the level of the key and I have the throttle cables leave the grip assembly below the bars instead of above. To get that all to work I got shorter custom clutch and throttle cables from Motion Pro and route them all through the frame differently than stock. The throttle cables have more bends than stock, engine off I can feel more drag than stock but it snaps closed and when riding it's fine.

But for the stock bars etc the stock routing is fine IMO, my only beef with it is that I think it is ugly to have the throttle cables above the bars. The 09 isn't the only bike like that, tends to be easier routing etc I guess. If a bike is going to be ride by wire I'd rather it had the throttle position sensor by the grip and get rid of the cables.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Mine does the same when I turn left its a bit tighter. To me I wish I can swap the throttle spring. The 09 is much more stiff then the FZ6R for some reason.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Marthy, I'd like that too, maybe 70% the pull of the stock spring. I don't have experience replacing such springs. The parts fiche doesn't show it separately, to get a new Yamaha spring you have to buy the whole throttle body assembly, the list price is only $745 lol.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There should be some slack in the cables.
Then again, why did they bother with the cables? Could have put the sensor right on the handlebar, in the twist grip.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Skimmed the thread so idk if it has been definitively answered but here is a video showing how to adjust throttle cable on the FZ. The cable stretches when you turn the bars and there needs to be a LITTLE slack so the throttle snaps all the way closed when the bars are turned all the way to either side.

·
Registered
395 Posts
THROTTLE SPRING TENSION TOO TIGHT: Does anyone else feel the throttle tension is too strong and is there a fix we can do ourselves. I would like about 20% less tension. BTW: I have lubed everything with no better result.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Throttle spring tension can be fixed cheap and easy. The stock spring only resists in one direction...so you find yourself a light four inch spring from the hardware store or home depot and hook it up on the throttle body so it pulls in the OPPOSITE direction. This counteracts spring tension and is adjustable depending on how much tension you put on the spring. I've done this many times when I had bikes where the throttle pull was wearing me out and making my forearm ache. Just make sure your new spring doesn't interfere with anything during normal operation.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm new to the FZ09, can the throttle spring be unwound 1 turn like the old Gen FJR?

Searched for this but didn't find that answer.

Thanks

Warp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts