Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These arrived today from Revzilla. Same price $112 free shipping, no tax. Was certain that the Standard size would fit better but the FZ-09 apparently's got back and the Wide is a better fit over the seat. Yes, the Standard works but it has to be pushed down and sort of wrapped around/over the seat.

For appearance, I think my preference is the Standard size. Since they're new with tags and I may return one, they haven't been mounted or used so i can't report any actual use or experience. The Wide does have a bit more cargo room, mostly on the sides of the inside. I can see wanting the additional space on longer trips. Without anything in them, the Standard looks like it will hold its shape better and the top of the Wide will cave down a bit.

Anyway, there was a post within a thread on cargo options and the person who had the Saddelmen bag wasn't sure of the size. So, both will work but it depends on your cargo needs and appearance preferences.

Notes on bike mounting:
There is a pad that gets strapped to your seat with a velcro top. The bottom of the bag has velcro. There are a pile of D rings that can be used to secure more luggage on top the bags or to tie it down to the bike. It seems like the front bottom D rings and straps will tie perfectly to the passenger peg brackets. Tying down via the rear two D rings probably isn't necessary but they would likely be best connected to each other via bungee where the bungee goes under the seat and behind the turn signals and license plate. Quality and durability seem very nice.

:bootyshake:
Some may find the Wide makes your butt look big, butt (pun intended) here are comparison pics with Wide on left and Standard on right:

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car Motorcycle accessories Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You ride a Warrior and are worried how big your butt looks? ;)

Thanks for the report and photos. I haven't decided if I will tour on my 09, if I do I will use that type of luggage, not saddle bags, a rear luggage rack etc.

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection EVO Cargobag motorcycle luggage system - TwistedThrottle.com
I like the design of that one, but yours seems good to and less $.
Used to ride a Warrior. Figured it was a good attention getter for a subject. :)

I was seriously looking at the SW-Motech Slipstream and would have ordered it but it was out of stock. What's hilarious is that it is now in stock. The EVO you provided a link for was among the ones I considered but the profile seemed too high. The Standard Saddlemen is something I could just leave on the bike and make the bike more useful for small store runs. For longer rides a Kriega Drypack on top of the Saddlemen would probably do the trick. There are different sizes but the US-10 would be a good size.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The good news is...no one will see how big your butt is with that contraption on the bike.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
349 Posts
I strap my luggage on the front of my bike. LOL :laughing7:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ordered the Saddlemen wide tunnel bag and tried it out on the bike. It just didn't look right to me, kinda klutzy looking I thought. Also, the side parts would ride on the painted panels beside the seat and I was thinking that would be a wear point; didn't want to mess around with the 3M clear paint protector tape. I sent it back.
Next try is going to be an Oxford T30 tailbag. There is a review by Anthony of the previous version (the X30) on YouTube, I'm guessing the T30 is the same, I will report back. The current review on revzilla is of the T30; though the review is not as thorough it looks to be the same bag in black. Oxford is apparently a British company.
If you haven't checked it out, it looks to be a great bag, 21 liters expandable to 30 liters, easily detachable, has a handle, shoulder strap, and backpack straps built in, rigid stiffeners that fold out when you expand it, etc. I'll report back, maybe start a new thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts